Switch to Spotify Premium

This morning I switched to Spotify Premium from their Spotify Free streaming service. My main reasons to switch are:

Spotify has a 3 month promotion that ends June 27 that costs 99 cents for 3 months instead of $9.99 per month.

Spotify has more than doubled the per hour commercials and the number of commercial spots with their free service. Before, the commercials were run at either one or two 15 second commercials or one 30 second commercial for about 3 minutes per hour. Many of these were public service announcements encouraging switching to premium. Now each commercial break takes about one minute and many of them are irritating and are run over and over again all day long. :'(

The premium service streams at twice the bit rate as the free (320 kps verses 160 kps). I was curious to hear if this was significantly better. I already liked their 160 kps streaming much better than the Rhapsody service I had 9 years ago.

There are other benefits that include being able to change artists/tracks as often as one pleases (the free service limits these changes to I think 6 times per hour, but that was not an issue for me) and the the ability to download tracks for offline listening on computer and portable devices.

Spotify blanks out about 1 or a little less percent of the tracks I'm interested in. I thought this was being done only to their free service. But this morning I checked with the Eagles catalog and some of their newer stuff (not from the 70s) is blanked out on two of their "best of" collections. It looks like the blanked out tracks apply to both free and premium services and are for music Spotify has not acquired the rights to stream.

My main reason for switching was the increase and redundancy of the commercials. I just listen at home and do not need to download any tracks. If the internet is down, I have a large CD collection (classical).

So, if you do not have an internet music service you may wish to give Spotify a try. You still have three weeks to try the free service before deciding to try the premium. Even after the 90 day premium offer expires, they usually offer a 30 day premium trial.

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    I'm finding the same thing happening on Pandora. Used to be one 30 second commercial every 6-7 songs that was a self promotion. Now 2 minutes of commercials after maybe 2-3 songs...
    Going to have to look into something else also.. just hate the $10 a month charge.
    Only cause I'm too cheap.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • I would pay 30.00 a month for Spotify. I love it that much. You have access to almost everything imaginable and there is a lot of flexibility in playlists and the radio function. It's a must have.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I pay extra for tidal for the higher fidelity, but if Spotify moves beyond beta with their hifi tier I will probably switch back to Spotify. Spotify definitely wins on features, its no contest!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You really can't compare to another service from 9 years ago. They've all upped their game since then. You can do the exact same things in Napster/Rhapsody than you can with Spotify. Deezer is also popular.

To me, these services are all about the catalogue, which has the best in the genre's you like....aside from sound quality that is. Features and stuff....most are pretty much the same these days.

My Sonos lets me create playlists from my downloaded music, or music service, or anywhere else I have music stored. Add radio from around the globe too. Works like an umbrella to bring everything under one roof. Edit on the fly, rearrange the playlist, shuffle, you name it. Many services have the same features also, but I think the Sonos software is more intuitive, easier to use.

Whatever you use, enjoy the technology, it's all about the music, right ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Cost wise... my internet is $30 a month and my TV is free with my antenna for 30+ channels (even more if my Spanish was better). So I guess I could just swap my cable fee for a music streaming fee. When you put it that way it's not so much. I'll try the free versions of the above that are available and see what I prefer. Thanks for the leads.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    He didn't mean you literally can't compare them.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I have had Spotify for several years now. We currently have the family plan where I have 5 premium accounts for $15 a month. It's been great for us and the kids. I even gave one account to my brother who was too cheap to buy a subscription.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    Sure I can compare! I had ongoing problems with Rhapsody where their player would lurch and sputter during playback. I ended up getting ongoing free months of service because their player had problems. These lurches happened when Rhapsody would send signals into my player. It was a known and ongoing issue with their technology that disrupted the streaming.

Interesting, my experiences were the same only with Spotify of about 5 years ago. Maybe a software glitch when downloading.....don't know. Maybe you had the same thing. Maybe the platform your using it with ? Who knows....but I've used Rhapsody and now Napster without a hitch through my Sonos for years without problems.

Seems we all have good/bad experiences with any service. I'm just wondering if some just catch the software in a bad moment when they try it. I remember reading reviews of all the services, they all had people who loved them or hated them and usually because of drop outs. Makes me wonder if it's a software thing when downloading.

In any event, not the biggest fish to fry with music services, for the 10 bucks a month they all pretty much have the same catalogue these days and sound quality. Tidal sets the bar higher in SQ, So hopefully, others will follow suit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Doesn't matter which you use, all these 10 buck a month services are about the same, which is why they are all 10 bucks, right ? lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    Spotify is available or preinstalled on many more streaming devices.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Yea the big difference and advantage is that Spotify right now is what apple iOS was 5 years ago, e.i., ubiquitous. And since there are no long contracts with these deals, go with what works best for you now.

The other big difference is the mobile platforms. Again Spotify is clearly the best (from a tidal user). But if ur ancient like @tonyb then ur yelling "mobile WHAT?!?" lol just razzing you kind sir...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb

Possibly....but because something isn't pre-installed doesn't mean you can't install them. Everyone has a mobile app these days....all music services have mobile apps. I don't use them too often, but I have it on my phone and tablet.

Just don't see any one of these 10 buck services that's head over heels better than the other. They all pretty much sound the same, have almost the same catalogue, and their software is very similar. Most have worked out the bug issues with drop outs and such so dependability is a non issue between them. All have mobile apps, for your phone tablet or secret squirrel Dick Tracey Apple watch. Anything else I'm missing ?

The priorities for me anyway with music services are Catalogue/sound/ ease of use, in that order. None of the 10 buck offerings in service stands above the other to me given that criteria.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Another reason I got Spotify Premium is that I hope to get a Yamaha Aventage AVR in 4 to 8 weeks and it already is compatible with many music services (soon to include Titdal) such as Spotify and Napster. Their app supposedly supports the premium, not free service. There is an app for my android phone that will remotely operate the receiver and Spotify. I will give that a try and then decide on buying my first android tablet.

If that works for you, cool, but personally it isn't an option I want to use when listening to music. Receivers in general are jacks of all trades, master of none. A swiss army knife so to speak. If sound quality ranks high on the priority list, receiver apps usually lag in that regard.....not to mention they aren't all that intuitive.

They may be getting better, I dunno, last time I monkeyed around with apps on a receiver was 2 years ago....and it sucked, sound quality wise and user friendly wise. I do understand the cost/benefit ratio though, and to some that's important, just not to me in that scenario.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    If spotify finally gets the lossless they have been talking about for a bit now, I might try them but for now, between my free spotify account and tidal, huge difference. My step daughter has a premium spotify account and I tried it on the main rig and again, big difference between that and Tidal. ( tidal being better )

I thought Deezer Elite premium lossless service was not available in the USA?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Answered my own question "Exclusively available via Deezer Elite on your Sonos system."
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    Not sure about Deezer Brian, It shows up on my Sonos as an option, don't know if it's the premium service though. It is limited in availability that much I know. There are a few services only available in Europe....

There are many services outside the Napster/Spotify/Tidal realm, but some have limited catalogues and availability. I'd like to see more going lossless, at around 15 bucks a month. As it sits today, I think Tidal is the only one, so it seems, for the states.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    tonyb wrote: »
    Another reason I got Spotify Premium is that I hope to get a Yamaha Aventage AVR in 4 to 8 weeks and it already is compatible with many music services (soon to include Titdal) such as Spotify and Napster. Their app supposedly supports the premium, not free service. There is an app for my android phone that will remotely operate the receiver and Spotify. I will give that a try and then decide on buying my first android tablet.

If that works for you, cool, but personally it isn't an option I want to use when listening to music. Receivers in general are jacks of all trades, master of none. A swiss army knife so to speak. If sound quality ranks high on the priority list, receiver apps usually lag in that regard.....not to mention they aren't all that intuitive.

They may be getting better, I dunno, last time I monkeyed around with apps on a receiver was 2 years ago....and it sucked, sound quality wise and user friendly wise. I do understand the cost/benefit ratio though, and to some that's important, just not to me in that scenario.

Most of the reviews for the higher tier Aventages (currently their 1060, 2060, and 3060) get very high marks for sound quality. Most receivers aim is not ultimate sound. That certainly does not mean they cannot offer very excellent sound. But this is true with separates. People can spend less than a $1,000 to more than $10,000 on separates and then argue about which one better achieves ultimate sound. My aim is excellent sound.

I will find out after I buy about the sound quality and if the amp has adequate power. The receiver claims to be a "Network" receiver and I'll find out how well it does that. I have an open mind and can do something different if need be.

I have had the 1060 for about 6 months and I really like the convenience of the embedded streaming services. I have paid for Sirrius which sounds better than free Pandora. I also like using airplay and streaming music from Amazon, it sounds pretty good. Recently subscribed to Tidal Premium and love the application and selection. I am using the chomecast gaget connected to the AVR and it's good. Yamaha is supposed to release a firmware upgrade for the 2016 model which will support Tidal. I am hoping this is going to be great.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Most of the reviews for the higher tier Aventages (currently their 1060, 2060, and 3060) get very high marks for sound quality.

They do indeed sound good. You can certainly get better SQ by jumping out of the AVR realm but you could also do much, much worse.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Most of the reviews for the higher tier Aventages (currently their 1060, 2060, and 3060) get very high marks for sound quality.

They do indeed sound good. You can certainly get better SQ by jumping out of the AVR realm but you could also do much, much worse.

Bingo
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Interesting conversation, our 6month free Spotify premium just ran out and I was debating on paying for the family plan. I do quite like it. I really like that I can download the songs via wifi at home and have them play while at work and not use data. Still undecided but I am leaning towards paying for it. I hadn't realized our 6 months were up and then I saw a video commercial and thought wth? then I couldn't skip songs wth? then more commercials....ok that was enough something wasn't right. Then it asked me to upgrade to premium... ahh now I get it and I don't like the free version, that's for sure.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited June 2017
    Definitely worth the the $15 a month if you have multiple users in the house like we do.

Lossless would be better but unless I'm evaluating new equipment or by myself listening critically it's certainly acceptable and enjoyable.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited June 2017
    Not sure if people are aware as I wasn't for a long time. Spotify on computer free account (can choose specific songs to listen to, can create playlists and radio), mobile free account (Just radio), IPad app (same as the computer).

I SERIOUSLY considered not renewing once I found out that I can play specific songs and create playlists regardless of if the account was premium or not on my IPad.

I ended up renewing simply because my wife has her own account and the family plan is a great deal. You and 5 other users for $15.

Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member