polks terrible website

12346»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I don't need encouragement ;)

FWIW, my ever-growing, albeit with glacial slowness, collection of Heathkit catalog scans may be found @ https://flic.kr/s/aHsk3wZ2hc

11947040984_4833bdcafa_b.jpgHeathkit0001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

32596428976_96baf76062_b.jpgHeathkit 1964 Christmas by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I think I may be a wee bit off-topic...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    A lot of the Radio Shack stuff was OEM, rebadge stuff from companies like Sansui and Sony but usually at a cheaper price

I had a pair of Optimus speakers that were rebadged Yamahas.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Would those have been the early Mach Ones
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2017
    No -- the Yamaha OEM came much, much later -- and they were pretty dismal Yamaha three-ways, at that (no offense to Mr. Nightfall).

The STS-100, e.g. (seen here in the 1998 catalog, from www.radioshackcatalogs.com)

110.jpg

The Yamaha morph was the NS-A636.
    I found a pair of 'em at the Harvard (MA) town dump many years back-- but, even at that price, I thought they were a poor value ;)

17680135616_7409d548d0_b.jpgdumpyamahae by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(That dump-find CR-220's a pretty nice, albeit very entry level receiver, though -- but it predates the speakers by a couple of decades)

• mhardy6647
    Tell y'all what -- if there is sufficient interest in the R/S, Lafayette, Allied, Heathkit "topic", let's start another thread.

This is way off topic for this one ("Polk's Terrible Website")... even by my stream of consciousness standards!

:)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    The Radio Shack catalog wasn't quite up there with the Heathkit Bible but I'd rank it ahead of the Sears catalog. I'm talking before RS turned into the cellphone and AA battery store.

You left out the all important radio controlled cars
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited June 2017
    Sorry, was supposed to be a PM.

That's what I get for leaving too many windows open.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited June 2017
    Jstas wrote: »
    Sorry, was supposed to be a PM.

That's what I get for leaving too many windows open.

Yea - Likely story. :wink:
    BTW: The voices do talk to me, I think they need there mouths washed out. :o

I just hate it when I've spent an hour or more (I can be long winded type with one finger while hitting the right key about 75% of time or hitting 2 keys at once) writing a post only to hit the wrong keys or click the wrong button and pouf every things gone and 95% of the time I can't get it back. Thank god I don't use speech to text!

I wish this forum editor was more functional and had multiple levels of history.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain