You have a $4000 budget, what would you buy?

12346»

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Or wait a couple months until the new SDA line comes out....

How "confirmed" is this John? I have seen some cryptic messages from them on social media lately that point to this.

Wait!!!!! What!!!????
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    xsmi wrote: »

How "confirmed" is this John? I have seen some cryptic messages from them on social media lately that point to this.

Wait!!!!! What!!!????

I wouldn't get on the hype train just yet.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    xsmi wrote: »

Wait!!!!! What!!!????

ka40ba3acfny.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2017
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio did a series of reviews of speakers in this price range in the last couple of months. He views the Focal Aria 936 favorably for being a very good value...and does not think they are bright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTJbPA0Zhj4

I think Kevin is weird but still all in all a good dude! a audio freak like most of us!

okay I guess i should say I've spoken to him and sort of grew to like him...not normal or anything but a cool dude none the less :) but heck who is?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I would* look for a demo pair of ATC SMC40 v2.
    They have chicken wire grills for both kinds of music.
    lywaiuxsc0jd.jpg

* on the other hand a pair came up and I couldn't pull the trigger.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    lywaiuxsc0jd.jpg

I've been wanting to hear some ATC for awhile now. Those look awesome.

• mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    That Focal story is pretty cool.

I recently pumped up the volume on Martin Logan Motion 40's in my master bedroom and man I can only imagine what a pair Motion 60XT can do in a larger room.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Steve is pretty well schooled, has a lot to choose from too. I might just reiterate that to re-think the must be new aspect. 4K can buy a lot of speaker on the used markets.

If I had 4k to spend though, I'd be buying plane tickets back to Italy. See, take Bev on a nice relaxing vacation somewhere after your all moved in.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    tonyb wrote: »
    If I had 4k to spend though, I'd be buying plane tickets back to Italy.

"Commendatore"!

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2017
    Another potential buy:
    Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL upgrade

The Wharfedales are interesting (esp the Jade 7), I'm still considering those as well, but I'm a little skeptical about the "british sound" as that is my main reason for switching up.

Also still considering the PSB Imagine T2 or even possibly the Imagine X2T. I have owned 2 sets of "API" speakers in the past and they have the kind of drive I like; not laid back, and not "klipsch-like" forward.
    Post edited by steveinaz on
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Was just ooking at those on YouTube. Seem very nice
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Another potential buy:
    Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL upgrade

I'm a fan of the RAAL. IMO very natural sounding, not fatiguing. Of course like any tweeter, all is dependent on how well the crossover blends it to the mids.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • steveinaz
    I'm a little concerned about bass response on the Sierra Tower, as I'm going back to sub-woofer-LESS music.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited June 2017
    no aff. I'm tempted to jump on these myself and tell the wife no Hawaii.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harbeth-Super-HL5-Cherry-High-end-Speakers/201960387813?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=41375&meid=922c2601ad4045b9b8cbc46f9906d79a&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=132243884849&rt=nc

I should add that going from subwoof to this is a cultural change. :#
    These are not the PLUS BTW so...
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited July 2017
    Fellow focal owner here. I own the aria 905, and 926, and these speakers are absolutely phenomenal for the price point. I urge you to buy the gloss black if you can. The wood finishes are vinyl, and flawless, but not real wood veneer.

Now that we have that out of the way, these speakers are smooth, accurate, and tight, right out of the box. Leather wrapped front, glass tops, the feet can be leveled from the top Of the base, and the tool is stored behind the grill. These are far from bright, and scream high end for the price. They have that focal Electra sound at a smaller price. The soundstage goes for miles (kilometers), and have gobs of detail without fatigue. They have this dynamic range that even with the smaller tower (926) I haven't found its limit yet. And Powered my large room effortlessly.

Ok let's get over this new thing, and grab yourself a pair of Electra 1028 BEii and be prepared to have your socks blown off, or sack blown back. At least the guy before you got the break in out of the way, because these require around 500 hours of break in, and as good as these are, people baby out on these early writing them off as "bright" sounding. These are soooo good, and the staging on these is so fantastic (maybe not SDA good) but it's there.

The problem is these require some patients to get the best out of them, but it's very worth it. And those damn electras sound better and better as you move up the chain with your gear. It just gets better and better and better...

And let me tell you these speaker disappear, if you closed your eyes, you would have no idea they were playing.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Fellow focal owner here. I own the aria 905, and 926, and these speakers are absolutely phenomenal for the price point. I urge you to buy the gloss black if you can. The wood finishes are vinyl, and flawless, but not real wood veneer.

Now that we have that out of the way, these speakers are smooth, accurate, and tight, right out of the box. Leather wrapped front, glass tops, the feet can be leveled from the top Of the base, and the tool is stored behind the grill. These are far from bright, and scream high end for the price. They have that focal Electra sound at a smaller price. The soundstage goes for miles (kilometers), and have gobs of detail without fatigue. They have this dynamic range that even with the smaller tower (926) I haven't found its limit yet. And Powered my large room effortlessly.

Ok let's get over this new thing, and grab yourself a pair of Electra 1028 BEii and be prepared to have your socks blown off, or sack blown back. At least the guy before you got the break in out of the way, because these require around 500 hours of break in, and as good as these are, people baby out on these early writing them off as "bright" sounding. These are soooo good, and the staging on these is so fantastic (maybe not SDA good) but it's there.

The problem is these require some patients to get the best out of them, but it's very worth it. And those damn electras sound better and better as you move up the chain with your gear. It just gets better and better and better...

Next step ditch ugly baby for a dedicated 2 channel pre. But my Arias and Elecras both sounded very, very good on that benchmark DAC2.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    I'm a little concerned about bass response on the Sierra Tower, as I'm going back to sub-woofer-LESS music.

Very valid concern! RAAL tweeter is very nice. If you want a custom solution, perhaps look at a custom speaker maker? I'm a big fan of my RAAL speaker from Selah Audio but Rick Craig often designs custom solutions depending on your preferences and room. Perhaps reach out to him and see what he can do in your budget.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2017
    I think I have made a choice, but not finalized yet:

br5pqo6tcv8h.jpg

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL; Satin Dark Cherry, $2894 shipped.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310

br5pqo6tcv8h.jpg

Looks sweet.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    lywaiuxsc0jd.jpg

Country and Western?!
  • mikeyb128

br5pqo6tcv8h.jpg

Look super nice. Haven't heard of them.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Just about everything I ever read about those state that they do most everything right. Bass depth and impact is the only thing some have wanted more of. However some feel they are perfectly fine without a sub. Like everything else, it all comes down to ones taste and the response in the room.

That's one set of towers that I've wanted to listen to for awhile.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2