polks terrible website

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    @Nightfall I believe people can make suggestions but then when it gets into name calling and general disregard for rules that is where the issue lies.

So....then, what's the problem ? Warn or ban the offenders, not the topics.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • @tonyb the problem is the people not the topic. It would be a ban of the offender if they start personal attacks against other members.

There is nothing wrong with lengthy debates. AS LONG as they are on topic to that discussion.
  • @rooftop59 I don't think we need to have a rule about cable debates. I think the rule for cable debates should be to remember we all have different ears and to treat everyone with respect.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @tonyb the problem is the people not the topic. It would be a ban of the offender if they start personal attacks against other members.

There is nothing wrong with lengthy debates. AS LONG as they are on topic to that discussion.

Not when the debates run off new OP's, with more questions than answers...IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I agree Ron. I actually LIKE cable discussions but not cable debates. When I don't agree with someone's point of view it causes me to ask questions. The questions are mostly for my education. But generally no real feedback is provided and this causes the OP to be confused and distracted.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • @txcoastal1, do you think it is too much information for a new OP to handle? They get confused with too many differing answers?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I was a noob here once and I am limited to say the least (just ask). I have never felt overwhelmed by the discussions but I am sure a lot broker than I thought I would be.
  • afterburnt
    Regarding the web site, I went there to find out about the new speakers. I found the site to be lacking in useful information and I haven't gone back cept to look at the pictures.
  • afterburnt
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I just ordered some cables. Polk should sell cables.

There was a time... :)

https://www.hifiengine.com/gallery/images/polk-‘cobra’-speaker-cable.shtml

Many "fine" (but not particularly stable) amplifiers met their demise at the metaphorical hands of Cobra Cables :wink:

Polk%20CobraCable_SAM0728sm.jpg.jpg

Are they supposed to be green?
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    @tonyb the problem is the people not the topic. It would be a ban of the offender if they start personal attacks against other members.

I have never seen "Debate or discussion" run anyone off, but.....

I have seen numerous new people "run off" the forum for not taking "Advice or suggestions" by a few.

And yes I know first hand that was the reason. I tried reaching out to several to get them to stay on the forum and tried to tell them, some members are simply "like that" and to not judge the whole forum based on certain members.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    "I have never seen "Debate or discussion" run anyone off, but....."

No you haven't
  • txcoastal1
    They don't get ran off, they just never post again after a 15pg cable debate

And probably didn't even understand what the h3LL the debate was about
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    case in point!

Naysayer: Cables make no difference if they are well made. I've proven it to you once.
    Believer: No you haven't!
    Naysayer: Yes I have.
    BELIEVER: When?
    NAYSAYER: Just now.
    BELIEVER: No you didn't!
    NAYSAYER: Yes I did!
    BELIEVER: You didn't!
    NAYSAYER: I'm telling you, I did!
    BELIEVER: You did not!
    NAYSAYER: Excuse me, is this the 40 page double blind debate or a quick no scientific proof debate?
    BELIEVER: Ah! Just the scientific proof.
    NAYSAYER: O.K. no double blind. Thank you.
    NAYSAYER: Anyway, I did.
    BELIEVER: You most certainly did not!
    NAYSAYER: Now let's get one thing quite clear: THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC PROOF and I just proved my point!
    BELIEVER: Oh no you didn't!
    NAYSAYER: Oh yes I did!
    BELIEVER: Oh no you didn't!
    NAYSAYER: Oh yes I did!
    BELIEVER: Oh look, this isn't a scientific debate!
    (pause)
    NAYSAYER: Yes it is!
    BELIEVER: No it isn't!
    (pause)
    BELIEVER: It's just contradiction!
    NAYSAYER: No it isn't!
    BELIEVER: It IS!
    NAYSAYER: It is NOT!
    BELIEVER: You just contradicted me!
    NAYSAYER: No I didn't!
    BELIEVER: You DID!
    NAYSAYER: No no no!
    BELIEVER: You did just then!
    NAYSAYER: Nonsense!
    BELIEVER: (exasperated) Oh, this is futile!!
    (pause)
    BELIEVER: Yes it is!
    (pause)
    BELIEVER: I came here for a good scientific argument!
    NAYSAYER: AH, no you didn't, you came here for an argument!
    BELIEVER: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    NAYSAYER: Well! it CAN be!
    BELIEVER: No it can't!
    BELIEVER: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    BELIEVER: Yes it is! It isn't just contradiction.
    NAYSAYER: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!
    BELIEVER: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.
    BELIEVER: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.
    NAYSAYER: It is NOT!
    BELIEVER: It is!
    NAYSAYER: Not at all!
    BELIEVER: It is!
    (The moderator hits a bell on his desk and stops.)
    NAYSAYER: Thank you, that's it.
    Moderator: That's it. Thread closed. People banned.
    NAYSAYER: But I was just getting interested! People are BANNED!
    BELIEVER: (stunned) What? I’m banned?
  • afterburnt
    I agree with both. Am I ban?
  • K_M

No you haven't

Yet again, I have Personally Pm'ed SEVERAL Newer members that simply chose to quit posting, or never come back, based on NOT the debate, but the attitude of a handful of forum members towards them.

The reason I PMed them, was feeling bad for how they were treated in "Polks" forum.

Specific people were mentioned as their SOLE reason for leaving or not wanting to post anymore.

You can sugar coat it you you wish, but the mere idea of people pushing expensive stuff on new people, and making rude remarks when they do not agree with the advice or take another route that they find more sensible, truly does drive people away.

That is where all of the "Respect" stuff and how the forum is perceived started.

• txcoastal1
    And vice-versa K_M,

Just cut it out...you got where I was coming from

We get where you're coming from

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I've had newcomers PM me about specific people being vague, contrary pot stirrers and wondering why they are allowed to do so. Stating further that kind of behavior is not tolerated by the mods on other audio forums.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    K_M wrote: »

No you haven't

Yet again, I have Personally Pm'ed SEVERAL Newer members that simply chose to quit posting, or never come back, based on NOT the debate, but the attitude of a handful of forum members towards them.

The reason I PMed them, was feeling bad for how they were treated in "Polks" forum.

Specific people were mentioned as their SOLE reason for leaving or not wanting to post anymore.

You can sugar coat it you you wish, but the mere idea of people pushing expensive stuff on new people, and making rude remarks when they do not agree with the advice or take another route that they find more sensible, truly does drive people away.

That is where all of the "Respect" stuff and how the forum is perceived started.

It buying it at all, you are just trying more of your usual pot stirring.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • K_M
    And vice-versa K_M,

Just cut it out...you got where I was coming from

We get where you're coming from

How about we drop the subject?
    I am all for improving the forum, and keeping bickering to a minimum.
    This is all going way off topic, and part of course is my fault.

Everyone is right to varying degrees, and I take responsibility for arguing a bit too much at times, we all do, and I would hope everyone else realizes the place got off track also.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I just ordered some cables. Polk should sell cables.

There was a time... :)

https://www.hifiengine.com/gallery/images/polk-‘cobra’-speaker-cable.shtml

Many "fine" (but not particularly stable) amplifiers met their demise at the metaphorical hands of Cobra Cables :wink:

Polk%20CobraCable_SAM0728sm.jpg.jpg

Are they supposed to be green?

As I recall, yes, they were. My friend George had a pair (maybe he still does, who knows?) -- they were connected between a pair of Monitor Series Model 10 loudspeakers and a GAS Son of Ampzilla -- and everyone lived to tell the tale.

The GAS amps haven't aged terribly gracefully, but they were capable & sounded pretty darned good. They looked pretty nice, too -- purposeful.

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I have mentioned using "Blind" or "unaware" comparisons as a double check to a sighted comparison.
    A verification method that may or may not agree with a sighted comparison and will often help in determining the outcome with more certainty.

Well, I'm certainly not going to argue against that point !!

DISCLAIMER: Don't ask me what the point was. Or function.
    Everyone is right to varying degrees, and I take responsibility for arguing a bit too much at times, we all do, and I would hope everyone else realizes the place got off track also.

That certainly is maleficent magnificent ... magnanimous of you to say so.
    I do have to say I disagree with you when you say "I take responsibility for arguing a bit too much at times". Pshaw ! Nothing could be further from the truth !

Sal Palooza
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    You too, B??!! Man,.....that takes a lot heat off of me. OK....You be the coolest Polkie in the west and I'll take the Mississippi River east. Deal? All these bozos (of The Jersey Grands style) PMing me day and night!
    But I still get Iowa.....
  • lightman1
    edited June 2017
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2017
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ibdrougxug4e.jpg
    $85
    Cool,Ill take two sets.Can U ship to Canuckastan?
  • lightman1
    Buy two get one free, Fred. Deal? No unsolicited PMs please. B)
  • txcoastal1

Don't forget the no return policy

• lightman1

Don't forget the no return policy

Oh! That....yep. Thanks Ron.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Deal. Dems iz sum fine lookin connectors right there. :|