Windows Media Center

kjwaage
kjwaage Posts: 4
edited June 2017 in Going Digital
I have been using my newOmni P1 with Logitech Media Server, but am considering a different Server because LMS plugins don't seem to work in this environment. By accident I discovered Windows Media Server and it works, but I can't find any documentation on it. It might be promising, if I can make it work better. Does anyone use it or know where there is documentation? I've searched Windows doc to no avail.

I might add that I am lookin for a Server solution that is friendly to classical music. LMS with certain plugins was great.

Best Answers

Answers

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    True, even the Logitech isn't supported anymore I believe. Might be time to up your game in the streaming department to something more current.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kjwaage
    edited June 2017
    LMS still has an active community supporting it. I'd love to go to something more current if I could find something that matches the functionality and tailorability of LMS. I wasn't aware of the history of Windows Media Server. At least I can take it off my candidate list now. Thanks for the feedback. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
  • tonyb
    kjwaage wrote: »
    LMS still has an active community supporting it. I'd love to go to something more current if I could find something that matches the functionality and tailorability of LMS. I wasn't aware of the history of Windows Media Server. At least I can take it off my candidate list now. Thanks for the feedback. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I hear ya....we still have an active community supporting Polk SDA speakers too, even though they haven't been made in over 20 years. The thing with digital is software, if it's outdated certain things are not going to work.

Many newer products offer function and tailoring, what exactly do you need it to do ? Files that you play, etc.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kjwaage
    The feature I am looking for, beyond the typical server requirements, is to adequately support Classical music, although we play most genres. LMS does it by providing plugins that allow a menu structure that allows you to browse by Composer, Work, Comductor, etc. A Work is usually multi-track, but is not an Album, in that there may be several Works on an album. I have not found another music server that provides this.
  • tonyb
    Not sure....I know many you can search by artist, song title, band, genre....how that applies to classical in the manor you describe I'm not 100% on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's