Magnifi Mini - can't sync sub

Hello - I'm following directions on syncing my Magnifi Mini with the sub. It lost contact about a week ago. I noticed degraded sound but didn't think to check.

I know I should activate syncing on the soundbar AND the sub, per the manual. But after several tries nothing works. I tried plugging/unplugging both multiple times. Also tried activating sync on the sub, and the soundbar, before and after each other.

What to do? Tech support doesn't open for 2 more days and there are auto races this weekend.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2017
    Are you still getting sound out of the mini? Is the sound out of the mini normal?

When you mention degraded sound was it the sub, the mini, or both?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mnbska
    mnbska Posts: 7
    Mini sound is fine, never degraded. Sub output just stopped, never degraded, and the green light blinked on and off.

The blinking was NOT the three-on "sync" blinking. I can get the sub to three-on "sync blink" by pressing the button, but the default blinking on the sub is just a steady green on-off blinking.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Here are some instructions that might help:
    The SurroundBar bar and wireless subwoofer come
    from the factory preset to work together. If the wireless
    subwoofer stops receiving an audio signal, follow these
    instructions to re-establish the connection.

Move the subwoofer as close to the bar so you can reach them simultaneously.

1. Make sure to have the bar on and playing audio.

2. Unplug or turn off the subwoofer’s AC Mains switch.

3. Press and hold the SYNC button on the back
    of the bar for six seconds (6) seconds.
    Continue to hold the button down during this synching process.
    Do not let it go!!!

4. After 3 seconds, turn on the subwoofer’s AC Mains switch and continued to hold for an additional 3 seconds. (6 seconds total for this process.)
    When the subwoofer LED turns solid green the bar and subwoofer are connected and ready to use.

5. The LED on the back of the bar will blink,
    indicating that the bar and the subwoofer
    are ready to be connected

Cheers, Ken
  • mnbska
    Unfortunately the Magnifi Mini doesn't have these buttons and the instructions are different. Maybe you're thinking of the full size version?

I did try with audio playing, but maybe I'll try holding the buttons down longer versus letting them go when the sync lights activate.
  • Nexus88
    Nexus88 Posts: 5
    Registered to follow this thread as I am having the exact same problem. Finally realized why the sound isn't what it used to be and it was due to the sub was no longer connected. Tried connecting as per instructions (this happened one other time as well and I was able to pair them again using the pairing instructions), but this doesn;t work, sub flashes green - never reconnects.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    The best recommendation would be to contact Polk's CS department at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1, I'm sure they can help.
  • Be sure not to place UR set up too close to a Linksys Velop Wi-Fi mesh router as it will cause all kinds of problems. Moved everything to my condo where my wireless router is approx. 12' away from everything. Now everything is running A-OK.
  • Nexus88
    Interesting observation. I have a Google Wifi mesh router about 4 feet from the mini.
  • Nexus88
    Just a quick update: I hadn't called the CS dept yet, but I did try turning off my mesh router and restarting both mini and sub and tried to re-pair to no avail.
  • mnbska
    Received replacement sub; does not work either. Hopefully i can get a new bar; stay tuned.
  • Nexus88
    That's not very encouraging. I called CS today and they will send me another sub they said. Now I have my doubts if that will even work. Keep me (us) updated please.
  • mnbska
    Hi there, the sub doesn't work with the old bar. Only a new bar will work. Or at least that was my experience. I can't imagine what could break on these things, or there isn't a way to reflash the software or do some kind of hard reboot or diagnostic. Then again I'm sure nobody ever thought that would be needed.
  • @mnbska I had a conversation with Laurence about this issue today but we were not able to come up with anything.

The only other thing I could think of is it could be a firmware issue. Have you put the Magnifi Mini on your network and do any updates?
  • Nexus88
    FYI - I received a whole new unit (bar and sub) and will be sending my current unit back. Customer Service from Polk has been stellar, only wish this didn't happen to begin with.

For what it's worth, I had my original bar connected to wifi (Google Cast) - does the firmware updates happen automatically or is there a process to check/flash? Also, I have a Google Wifi "puck" in the same room (that I had tried moving and unplugging altogether to see if I could re-pair my sub. There is also a Wink Hub (gen1), Xbox One using WiFi for connectivity, Amazon Echo Dot and 3 Cree smartbulbs in the same room (if it matters/helps diagnose). The sub and bar were within 5 feet of one another.

I have yet to hook up my new bar to Google Cast, but will soon. Just like my original unit, as soon as I plugged in the sub, it paired automatically to the bar (a sight I have struggled for a while to see, so it was nice to see!)
  • JMK12
    JMK12 Posts: 1
    My woofer has lost connection to sound bar. It will not reconnect using the instructions in the manual. Has anyone figured out how to get these connected.
  • I have the same issue. I'm unable to reconnect my subwoofer. I received a new sub today and the issue remains. Is there anything I can do?
  • @mnbska I had a conversation with Laurence about this issue today but we were not able to come up with anything.

The only other thing I could think of is it could be a firmware issue. Have you put the Magnifi Mini on your network and do any updates?

I also have the bar connected via Wifi. I'm using Google Home app. It should automatically perform firmware update. Is there anything else that I need to do to update firmware?
  • jjflash
    jjflash Posts: 1
    I have been having a similar problem ever since I installed the Google Home app and it performed a firmware update. It was working fine prior to the update.

Every time I power it on, there is no sound at all from the subwoofer. After going through the re-sync procedure it works fine. Until the next time it is powered up, then, again, nothing from the sub until I do the re-sync procedure again. Then, it works fine again until the next time.
  • The best thing to do is contact Polk CS at 1-800-377-7655 select option 1.
  • scorpius074
    scorpius074 Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    I just experienced the same issue after a certain update. I know this from viewing the Polk's traffic history through my router console. The Polk Magnifi Mini is connected via Ethernet. Sure enough the sub wouldn't connect after several reconnect attempts as instructed by the manual. It wasn't until I unplugged both the bar and the sub, left them both unplugged for a couple of mins, plugged them both back in, and then I saw the orange standby light lit on the back of the sub, which then turned to a steady green. Powered on the bar, selected optical audio source from the remote, and BOOM, let there be bass! Everything is working normal now.
  • scorpius074
    scorpius074 Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Also on a side note, my tv is connected to the bar via optical. So once I power ON my tv, the bar will automatically power on too but the sub won't connect. Prior to the last update that was pushed, the sub would automatically connect to the bar once it received a signal from my tv after being powered ON. So the only small adjustment now is for me to power the bar ON first, prior to powering ON the tv, and the sub automatically connects everytime. I don't leave the Polk Magnify Mini ON if I'm not using it. Just wanted to share my experience, and a fantastic little bar/sub combo for my bedroom setup.
  • Having the same problem, I just received this NYE and everything was working fine. Then today I noticed no sound coming from the sub. Tried re-syncing via manual instructions and nothing. Sent an email to support. I really hope I don't have to send this thing back.
  • Amazon is sending me a who new unit, now I'm afraid to do firmware updates. I don't want the same thing to happen to me again outside of the return period.
  • UpsetSam
    UpsetSam Posts: 1
    After trying to re-sync my sub for two hours following instructions from the manual and this forum, I literally just snatched the sound bar up off my entertainment center and smashed it to pieces! Then did the same with the sub! Now, some may wonder why spend all the money for this and smash it? I DON’T HAVE PATIENCE FOR THINGS LIKE THIS! Trust me “things” was not the word I really wanted to use! The sub losing its pairing randomly is something that should not happen given the amount of money spent on this! I have a much cheaper Visio unit that hasn’t given me one single issue in the three years I’ve had it! Will never buy another Polk anything in the future!
  • Found these instructions on the web and was able to successfully connect subwoofer to sound bar.

1. Turn on sound bar
    2. Power on subwoofer and hold down sync button on sub for 3 seconds
    3. On soundbar simultaneously push Bluetooth and volume up for 5 seconds

Subwoofer should now be synced.

Done finished.
  • fasternu20 wrote: »
    Found these instructions on the web and was able to successfully connect subwoofer to sound bar.

1. Turn on sound bar
    2. Power on subwoofer and hold down sync button on sub for 3 seconds
    3. On soundbar simultaneously push Bluetooth and volume up for 5 seconds

Subwoofer should now be synced.

Done finished.

This did not work for me
  • I've tried each of the suggestions above. None of them worked for me, either. Hoping for some help from the factory when they re-open Monday.
  • I have the same problem. The difference is that I never installed the google thingy. Therefore, the firmware should be the same as when I bought it. It worked fine for a couple weeks until two days ago. The sub has not made a sound since. Will Polk Support please get their nose into this?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    The best thing to do is contact Polk CS at 1-800-377-7655 select option 1.
    Give them a call tomorrow. They’d be happy to help. :)
  • Just this week my subwoofer refuses to pair to the soundbar. I've done everything suggested on this forum short of throwing it into the yard. I'll be calling customer support tomorrow ... THE last day of my warranty. This is obviously a major quality issue that Polk needs to address. Beyond frustrated!