Picked up a pair of SRS 3.1 TL's

I've been looking for a pair of big boys for a while and finally bagged them this past Tuesday. Had to drive over 200 miles to get them and thankfully the were able to fit inside my car. Got them for $500 but they looked in very good shapenough. Brought them home and tossed them into my heated garage.

Last night I started with one and tore it down to begin the mod process. All the drivers look in good shape but there were a lot of snags on the fabric. I like working with wood so the idea of doing a total refacing of the cabinets was a no-brainer. Removed the side wood trim and cloth covered side panels, not to anyone who want to try this, they're glued on and you need to be careful not to gouge out too much of the base cabinet in the process of removing all the glue.

In the process I was feeling erregularities in the surface of the bottom plate, upon closer inspection of the board there was swelling, most definitely some water damage. Since I've started I might as well do this right so my nest step will require removal of the bottom plate, very carefully so I don't damage the sides of the main cabinet. This gives me the great opportunity to do some really cool cabinet mods! Bubinga has always been a favorite of mine, although Birdseye Maple is absolutely spectacular! I'll have to strip the veneer off the top plate as well. I'll post pictures of my process so anyone who likes to watch me make a fool of myself bitting off more than I can chew can laugh as I go through this project.

Of course that is just the cabinets, I'll be falling helplessly down the wormhole of internal mods as well, including a complete Xover rebuild, a total rewiring to all drivers, and of course tweeter replacement. This of course isn't something that is going to happen quickly so please be patient. I do have a full time job and enough honey do's to employ a battalion. But I promise this is going to be awesome when it's done!

Comments