Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole musical instruments

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
edited May 2017 in Speakers
INTRO

I would like to start this review out with a big shout out to our own Skip of Audio Thesis for bringing this line of speakers in for us to enjoy.
I first heard Rosso Fiorentino Elba speakers that skip had at the LSAF (Lone Star Audio Fest) last year. While I thought they sounded pretty good, I still had my Usher Mini 2 dmd to fall back on.

Now enter the Fiesole stand mounts, a week before the LSAF at 8 pm when I had just sat down to eat some KFC, I get a call from Skip asking if I wanted to come over and drink a few beers and listen to these new speakers he brought in for the show. Needless to say after gulping down the chicken I jumped in the car and away I went.
That night listening to speakers that had no time to fully breakin yet, I heard great vocals, imaging, soundstaging, timing, and tonality, but still i had my Ushers to fall back on.

Going into the LSAF I had been planning and saving to purchase a pair of $8k speakers that first appeared 3 years ago at the show. I got there Thursday night and struck a deal for the speakers (at least I thought) for a good price. As the the show went on and as I would drop by Skip's room more and more I began to doubt my pre made plans.
I have a pair of speakers with the same tweeter as the $8k speakers thus I knew that they could sound a little harsh at times so I was going to bring some music by and give them a good going over for the last time to test for imaging, tonality, sound stage, and upper end smoothness.
well I didn't get the chance to as the speakers were sold out from underneath me for the seller to get an extra $500. I was a little depressed then made my way back to Skip's room and talked a little with him and sat down and listened some more to the Fiesole's, when asked what I thought about the Fiesole's, Skip then planted the seed in my head for the purchase of the higher priced Fiesole's
The rest is history.

I am going to write this review in sections as listed below.

1. Intro (you're reading it)
2. Equipment and music used along with a description of the speakers
3. High end, Mid range, Bass breakdown
4. Tonality, Imaging, Sound stage, Pace, Balance beakdown
5. Overall impressions and final thoughts.

This may be spread out over a little time as I am headed to Cancun Thursday, but I'll try to get it all in before I get too drunk B)

http://www.rossofiorentino.com/en/home.asp

http://www.breathlessresorts.com/riviera-cancun
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Lookin' forward to it man. Rock on wit'yo' bad self!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Marvin,

Can't wait to see your review. Have a great trip!

halen
  • marvda1
    I threw some pretty goo equipment at the Fiesole's and they responded with sound made in heaven :'(

For source I used a combination of the cayin venus CD-100i cdp as transport along with the Musical Paradise Mp-d2 tube dsd dac (wonderful combination).

Preamp is the excellent DeHavilland Ultraverve III preamp with upgraded Mundorf gold, silver, oil caps and various 6sn7 tubes.

Amplifiers used were the Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (78 watts) and Ayre V-6xe power amp (150 watts).

Interconnects used are the MG Audio Design Planus Cu2

Speaker cables used are the Cerious Graphene Extreme

Power cables used are from Cullen Cables, Six Sons Audio, and Swiss cables

Music used is as follows:

Ahmad Jamal - I Remember Duke, Hoagy & Strayhorn (great piano)
    Heifetz - Double Concertos (Living Stereo label) my classical fix
    Ronnie Earl - Healing Time (Telarc label) blues with a great sounding Hammond organ
    Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me female vocals
    Jeff Buckley - Grace male vocals with minimal instrument (guitar)

THE SPEAKERS

http://www.rossofiorentino.com/en/collections-fiesole.asp
    "The Reference series represents the quintessential expression of RF's design where the concept of elegance, in technology and look, is seen as the key to performance."
    Type:

2-way rear-ported stand mounted
    Sensitivity:

86.5 dBSpl (2.83V/1m)
    Nominal impedance:

8Ω (min 5Ω)
    Freq. response (-3dB):

50Hz - 100kHz
    Drivers:

1 x Ø165mm (6.5 in) Nomex diaphragm woofer
    1 x Ø28mm (1.1 in) hand treated cloth soft dome tweeter
    1 x ribbon diaphragm ultrasonic generator
    Internal wiring:

Single wire, multistrand. High purity dense Silver coated high purity OFC (Van den Hul)
    Terminals:

custom-made Rosso Fiorentino BP-01R: pure copper, rhodium plated (100% Nickel free)
    Cabinet:

Solid high density fiberboard + internal damping elements. 10mm thick aluminium front panels. Asymmetric braced structure
    Dimensions (HxWxD):

40 x 28 x 31 cm - (15.7 x 11 x 12 in)
    Weight:

13 Kg (28.7 lb) each

Stands:
    Sturdy high density fiberboard marble chips filled stand
    - Steel disks on the top base for speaker and stand decoupling
    - Adjustable spikes for accurate decoupling and different flooring needs

Weight: 12 Kg (26,5 lbs) each
    Dimensions (HxWxD): 63x22x31,5 cm (24,8x8,7x12,4 inches)
    Height with spikes and cones: 67cm (26,4 inches)

Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    well, i'm back. will try to finish up tonight.
    Puritan PSM156
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    A little Jet Lag? Try some more Tequila B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • marvda1
    Time for the meat and potatoes, the music.

When I first listened to the Fiesoles one of the things that caught my ear was how they portrayed the sound of the piano.
    When I got them home the first thing I found was some piano to play.
    I know this just kills Skip as what I found was a jazz cd on the Telarc label by Ahmad Jamal titled I Remember Duke, Hoagy & Strayhorn ( Telarc CD-83339).

From cut number one, My Flower, to the last, Goodbye, I could hear the weight of the piano. Each note was separate and clear. The hammer striking the strings can clearly be heard.
    One thing to listen for in piano reproduction is sympathetic vibrations, that lets say you strike middle c, you hear all the c's above it vibrate in unison.
    But you know what....it just sounds real.

Mood change, a now popular demo cd is “Use Me” by Vanessa Fernandez:
    Drum work at the beginning of “Be Thankful For What You Got” where you can hear the stretch of the skins on the drums with each hand slap is just unreal. Brush work on “Distant Lover” is so light and airy that it makes the hair on your body stand.
    Some other quick notes are great voice on cut #5, the drums and guitar on cut # 6 are spooky.
    Cut #7 is good toe tapping music. and then there is of course # 10, “Here But I'm Gone” I love the bass and drive on this song. Don't forget the guitar solo blow the dust off your woofers.

If you have ever heard a Hammond organ you know what I'm talking about, tonality in spades.
    I used another Telarc cd, Ronnie Earl – Healing Time ( CD-83490).
    A very good recording.

To get my classical on I picked Heifetz Double Concertos with violin.
    Outstanding strings and full orchestra sound. This is on the Living Stereo label, great inexpensive music on hybrid sacd.
    One last song I had to listen to was Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah, not the version Skip used to hook me on the Fiesoles, but great in it's own right. Voice just floats across the sound stage. I like the entire cd. Give it a try, the cd is entitled “Grace”.
    Puritan PSM156
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    What about Snoop Dog, Skrillex, AC/DC, Vanila Ice and MC Hammer? How do they sound on em :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What about Snoop Dog, Skrillex, AC/DC, Vanila Ice and MC Hammer? How do they sound on em :wink:

Go ahead and mail those horns back to me :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • marvda1

Elton John sounds great :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    marvda1 wrote: »

Elton John sounds great :D

Ehh not my first choice

...John Denver :)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Go ahead and mail those horns back to me :)

Lol what? House of pain will sound GREAT through them I'm sure :smile:

I'm actually looking forward to starting that build after a bit more research on drivers.

The crossover is the tricky part so I'm debating going active to start and then once it's hammered down moving to a passive one.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • marvda1
    Conclusions:
    Highs: open, airy, detailed, revealing. While not shrill sounding the super tweeter/tweeter combination will pick apart any link in your system.

Mids: tonally correct, very natural sounding. The mid range portrays instruments and voices in a lively true to life way.

Bass: While the bass is only rated to go down to 50 hz you feel you are missing bass.

Imaging/Soundstage: Speakers disappear with voices and instruments spread out over a wide and deep soundstage.

I was looking to replace speakers in my second system but after hearing the Fiesoles, I began to rethink
    my whole musical outlook. Having had Ushers for a long time I thought I was through in my speaker hunt, at least in a price range I could afford as the Ushers are $5k. And now, blame it on Skip for shattering my world and also thank Skip for finding some rare gems in the audio world that we can enjoy.
    Believe me when I say if you are looking to start out in the audio world or simply tweak what you already have give Skip a call at Audio Thesis but be warned when he gives you that first hit of the ole crack pipe with that drug, Audio Nervosa Earlitus you'll be hooked for life. :p
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    So when do the Volterra's arrive ;)

• voltz
    Welcome back Marvin, Hope you had a awesome time!

BTW thanks you for the Review as I have come to trust your ears.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• marvda1
    vacation started off great as i found a hundred dollar bill on the floor at the airport in cancun and got flashed by a couple of topless girls at the pool :p
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    vacation started off great as i found a hundred dollar bill on the floor at the airport in cancun and got flashed by a couple of topless girls at the pool :p

Obviously you were in a different place than KenB

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Now that's a great start to any vacation....or end, depending, lol

BTW...did you mean to say "you feel like your NOT missing any bass ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    I agree that I was not sure what you meant either about the bass.

Thinking you wanted more bass, is why your looking at the floor standing Volterra's?

P.s. at the LSAF Skip had the Bookies moving the curtains behind them till some people where looking behind the curtains to see if someone was moving them :p

It became one of the coolest parts of seeing other come into Skip's room and listen to the speakers and waiting for Skip to show them how he could make the curtains dance!

BTW yes these are a littler better then my Usher Mini X's but the bass is pretty cool already on both.

• voltz
    edited June 2017
    [/quote]

The Fiesole can do well even in a large room but they don't get you that deep bass and they never will. Their -3db is 50 hz. The Volterra pulls it down to a -3db of 38 hz and should do very well in Marvin's room.

The beauty with the bass the Fiesole produces is in its detail. There is texture to the notes that sucks you deeper into the music. While it won't dig, it does have presence and a realism to it where you don't necessarily miss the lower frequencies as much as you would think.
    [/quote]

Agree, I think I never felt the lack of Bass because to me they had more then I was normally use too.

They are to me something special in the realm of speakers like what I always heard about bookies like the Joseph Audio Pulsar's to be, though I have never had a chance to hear the Pulsar's.

It is always pretty cool to hear Bookies that can take your breath away and make you think to yourself -> I could own these some day ;)

• marvda1
    tonyb wrote: »

Now that's a great start to any vacation....or end, depending, lol

BTW...did you mean to say "you feel like your NOT missing any bass ?

oops, that is what i meant. too many drinks by the pool :p
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    look see
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    look see

0l34gwwbk5oq.jpg

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    tonyb wrote: »
    look see

0l34gwwbk5oq.jpg

Slightly????

You're no real audiophile. :D:p
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Way above my pay grade, but man I'm gonna have to hear a pair. I wish Dallas wasn't so far away. Thank you for the review Marvin.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • marvda1
    i asked rosso the question is the volterra just the fiesole with a sub or are there other enhancements to the volterra. here is the answer.

Dear Marvin,
    as a first approximation we can say that the Volterra is a Fiesole+sub but actually that is not totally correct. They both have a lot to share however the Volterra has a slightly different crossover and the acoustics presentation is that of a floor stander speaker. Lets say that if you liked the Fiesole you will love the Volterra.

Thanks and best regards,
    Francesco Rubenni
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    i asked rosso the question is the volterra just the fiesole with a sub or are there other enhancements to the volterra. here is the answer.

Dear Marvin,
    as a first approximation we can say that the Volterra is a Fiesole+sub but actually that is not totally correct. They both have a lot to share however the Volterra has a slightly different crossover and the acoustics presentation is that of a floor stander speaker. Lets say that if you liked the Fiesole you will love the Volterra.

Thanks and best regards,
    Francesco Rubenni

And since when can you trust a dago :p;)B)

• txcoastal1
    My comment was to roust Tony ;) , not an insult

• tonyb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Dear Marvin,

Thanks and best regards,
    Francesco Rubenni

And since when can you trust a dago :p;)B)

Hey now....LMAO.

I'm very trustworthy.....Dago's aren't in the garbage collecting business for no reason.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    So we can trust in making a good pie, and taking out the garbage...duly noted :)

• marvda1
    someone should buy a pair of these!!
    Puritan PSM156