A Marantz Question

mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
Happy Saturday :)

I have a question for Marantz owners.

I have come to find after 6 months of ownership that there is 3 different ways to adjust the sub level on my SR5010

1 go into "speakers" and manual level control and change it there

2 go into "Audio" and select Subwoofer Level Adjust, turn it to on and move it up or down.

Adjusting the sub on either of these makes a little difference

3 press the options button and adjust the sub level there. This seems to have the biggest affect on over sound quality. #1 & #2 adjustments make the sub more localized #3 seems to increase overall bass in the system with better blending.

I had a little play time this morning so I tried each setting @ a +5db boost. 1 & 2 were localized and a little hollow. 3 was just so much nicer and fuller.

Which option do you use for adjusting your Marantz?
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2017
    I personally set my sub at flat on LFE or subwoofer channels, set my sub gain to half and dial it back via the same LFE settings.

I adjust the tone via the crossover. I could imagine your speakers changing the bass tone but my sub only hits 80hz and under so it sounds like bass (unless we are talking musical vs sloppy but that doesn't seem to be your focus). No setting will make it sound better or more full without introducing more distortion. At least in my logic I've worked in my crazy head.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mrloren
    The one thing I like about my Sony over the Marantz is the simple setup.

I've ran Audyssey a few times. If I don't boost the sub up it's like it's not there. If I adjust one setting of the 3 different sub adjustments the sub get too localized. I noticed setting all 3 up a few db does the trick for some reason.

No I don't get distortion,
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited June 2017
    Possibly placement? When I had my sub straight face towards me about 8 feet away I'd have to turn my gain up halfway. Moved it so it is on the left of the room facing to my right and now I can't get past 1/4 without it being too loud.

*EDIT* Looking at your profile picture seems like you don't have much room to mess around and test placement with.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mrloren
    Possibly placement? When I had my sub straight face towards me about 8 feet away I'd have to turn my gain up halfway. Moved it so it is on the left of the room facing to my right and now I can't get past 1/4 without it being too loud.

*EDIT* Looking at your profile picture seems like you don't have much room to mess around and test placement with.

no there is no other place to put it.. I would like to 180 the room but wife said no with an H in fronto0up4s48rvy1.jpg
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Hno??
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden