polks terrible website

Comments

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    I can note that to our other moderators here.

Who are these people? the only one I know of that's still here is @KennethSwauger and
    I don't think he's full time any more.
    Individual/isolated contacts to HQ is the most effective way to get a point across and to share information.

Who are these people and how does one contact them. Is tere a list some were?
    Your comments and concerns will be addressed with the designers.

And who are theses people, Polk's IT guys or do you have to go through Vanilla's techs to get things done. I know you haven't even been here even 2 years yet but go check this out and look around some, This is what the forum looked liked before Vanilla.

www.polkaudio.com/forums/index.php

I like other's have been complaining about this site ever since it was switched over to Vanilla (and very poorly done so at that, so many good threads and links were lost it's not funny),

The problem with this site is not the technology used (It's the same as the old one pre 2014, php, css, mysql, xhtml, java script, etc...) the problem is (besides stuff not working right) it really looks like whoever designed this was a 13 year old girl, this whole site and forum look's like it should be dripping in bubble gum and gummy bears (NO offense to girls intended).

There is no need for this site and forum to look and work as bad as it does. Unless Polk does not own and/or have direct access to the whole site which I think is the case. What did Vanilla do give Polk some basic site and forum templates to use as long as Polk didn't break the base layout and then Polk has to send any changes to Vanilla for approval and then if okayed by Vanilla it gets uploaded. If this is the case than this is a sad state of affairs. I went through this same thing with IGN and that's what killed
    all of the Planet sites. We got tired of not being able to even get the simplest thing fixed. It got so bad we ended up just walking away.

I think I know what I speak of having been a "Content Manger" for 3 different gaming sites at the same time "PlanetDoom, PlanetQuake and PlanetWolfenstein" (IGN gave up on them in 2012, there still online but not being updated). Being responsible for the Content formatting and posting plus any site repair/fixing that IGN would allow. I know what's involved here and it ain't easy.

In the end I really don't see thing getting better around here until there's a full team in place.

Who and where is/are the Web Master, Administrators and Forum Moderators (more than 1 or 2 part timers) and how do we contact them there should be an easy to find link and also one for the rules of conduct. (I finely found them here a link Club Polk Rules of Engagement

Peace, Love and Rock 'n Roll :)

P.S. As much as I complain about this forum software I still like coming here to converse with most of you nut jobs. :p
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited June 2017
    lightman1 wrote: »
    $36

Get outa here buckethead
    37.50 and a # of gummybears :p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    P.S. As much as I complain about this forum software I still like coming here to converse with most of you nut jobs.:p]

This is exactly the kind of name calling that give the forum a bad name...<SARCASM OFF>
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited June 2017
    Ivan called me a bucket head... :'(

It's a water pail! BIG difference....

Reported!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Reported!

With holes :|
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673

Reported!

That was me, in an attempt to keep the thread on topic instead of spinning off into silly cr@p.

So much for that.

I'm out and gone from PF.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • txcoastal1
    Erik Tracy wrote: »

Reported!

That was me, in an attempt to keep the thread on topic instead of spinning off into silly cr@p.

So much for that.

What about the BBQ :/
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• F1nut
    Erik Tracy wrote: »

Reported!

So much for that.

Huh?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited June 2017
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    Planet Fitness ?
    Sal Palooza
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Guys, check your micro aggressions.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2017
    F1nut wrote: »

Agree and it had other attributes Vanilla I don't think will ever have.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    I must say I much preferred the old format also.
  • txcoastal1
    But in all seriousness look at Def-Tech
    https://www.definitivetechnology.com/

Look at Marantz
    http://www.us.marantz.com/us/pages/home.aspx

Much better layouts

• F1nut
    I recognize some of those guys in the Def-Tech video......Hi Eric.

The Marantz site is exactly how it should be done. Clear, concise and loaded with information. I love perusing there.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    He'll be back.

President of Club Polk

• andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    @concealer404 @Nightfall I use ctrl+left click to open in new tabs. Not as easy as an auto-new tab, but I find it easier than right-clicking. Hope it helps.
  • @gimpod Ken Swauger is the moderator and I am his side moderator.

As a note, I have been with Sound United/Polk Audio for 5 years. The last time the forum changed formats was in October of 2014 when we switched the website.

The design is in-house in Vista, CA. Where I reside.

I am the go to person for anything Polk/DT related that needs to be checked or changed.

There will not be a full time team in place for the Forum. The Polk consumer website takes priority over the Forum. Ken and myself will be tag teaming the Forum. I will run ideas by the IT and design team to make it a better user experience on the Forum. But for the time-being there will not be 3-5 people dedicated to the Forum. Only 2. Those two, Ken and myself have been working for Polk Audio in some capacity for the better part of 2 decades. You are in good hands here. I see the issues that need to be addressed and that will happen. It won't be immediate that any changes will take place but more a process.

Yes, those were the rules of conduct. I have taken pieces from that to enforce harsher punishments to weed out those who don't show others respect.

1st offense - 30 day ban
    2nd offense - Lifetime ban

I know these sound harsh but if everyone treats everyone else with respect then it won't have to come to a ban at all.

Thanks everyone!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited June 2017
    @KenCustomerService @KennethSwauger A rule at the Steve Hoffman forum is nobody being allowed to bring up or discuss double blind testing which curbs a lot of the reoccurring cable, high res, and all equipment sounds the same arguments that come around all the time. How would you feel about this?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/a-note-about-abx-dbt-blind-testing-and-the-sh-forums.278682/#post-7471063
    2/6/03: This is now a Subjectivist vs. Objectivist DBT Debate Free Forum!

Holy Zoo writes:

"The debate about:

Double Blind Testing

ABX Testing

Objectivity vs. Subjectivity

These are all basically the same time-honored audiophile topic (really: argument). We (Robert and Jeff) have participated on many an audio email list / forum / newsgroup over the years watching and participating in this debate.

Indeed, we come from opposite sides of the argument - Robert tends to be a subjectivist, I lean towards the objectivist camp. Robert believes in tweaking, I'm very doubtful that anyone can hear tweaks and are imagining things (I mean, come on, *especially* Robert! )

Yet we still agree on the following: We've both watched folks who would normally get along great - who share a lot of common musical tastes and opinions - people who even agreed about political and religious topics(!!) - shred each other to little bitty pieces over the Objectivist/Subjectivist Double Blind Testing debate. It can go on and on for hundreds of posts, and the only thing it all accomplishes is to annoy and alienate the people who are not at the polar extremes, while reinforcing the opinions of those who are at the polar extremes.

And here in lies the the problem. It absolutely kills any discussion that it crops up in between regular folk.

For example, lets say that Bradley starts a thread about which amp sounds better - Marantz or Creek, and people are chiming in with their opinions. But then someone will bring up the old "there's never been a scientific study showing that you can tell the difference between the Marantz and the Creek - everyone here is just speculating". This will often divert the entire thread into dozens of posts about the DBT/OS debate. To the extremist, the thread is very much on topic, even more than ever before in his or her mind.

Meanwhile, for the guy who started the thread, who wanted to know the opinions of the folks here on the forum who've actually listened to the Marantz and the Creek -- the answer may never be known. To this poor guy, his thread has been hijacked: technical jargon is thrown around from both sides along with dizzying displays of snide comments and half-hidden digs. The combatants dance the edge of what the moderators find tolerable (well, most of the time anyway) while looking to create the utmost damage to the other side, unaware that many people tune out fairly quickly and to them it all looks like bickering, even if they find themselves sort of agreeing with one side or the other. Pages and pages of posts are created, and like a dog chasing it's own tail, there is no end until both sides tire for the evening or the thread gets closed. The web is filled and filled with such stuff.

If you feel you must debate the issue, there are a myriad of music hardware forums out there waiting. Or if you must, you can even PM a person here about it, if you know they're inclined to want to debate.

But we won't be continuing such scenarios here. To some people, the "Subjectivism vs. Objectivism" debate is almost a religion, and you know where we stand on that. Some people may find our lack of interest to continue what can easily be found elsewhere boring, but we find having amicable discussions refreshing, and the real reason that we were drawn to Steve's site in the first place.

We hope you understand why we've made this decision. If you'd like to discuss it with us in private, our PM-Boxes are always open. What we do not wish to have is a debate about this right here, right now. We are very certain that we've made the best choice for the forum, and as such we ask you to respect this new rule, and to move forward, sharing and discussing the enjoyment of audio and music.

Peace.

Robert & Jeff

We'd like to add a couple of very important clarifications:

1) It is the objectivist/subjectivist debate that is banned, not the notion of reporting the results of DBT's, or taking scientific measurements (for instance, calculating the RMS db level of a recording) and reporting them here.

So, for example, if you and your friends get together and do a double blind test comparing different Beatles albums, you are more than welcome to post the results.

2) In a similiar manner, just as you may not post DBT thread-craps, the inverse is also prohibited: for example, saying "enough of the scientific clap-trap - just trust your ears!".
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I agree with @Nightfall's suggestion about DBT. That seems to be at the heart of the worst debates.

As long as folks can still say "hey I think some good cables like xyz will take your system to the next level" and then another person can say "I disagree with that suggestion because I do not think cables make an audible difference" then I think that it is a good rule. They both have to be able to make suggestions about what gear they think will help improve the OP's system, and disagree, they just can't DEBATE it based on DBT...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Did I miss something is the RTIA line gone?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^still on the website.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited June 2017
    Nightfall wrote: »
    @KenCustomerService @KennethSwauger A rule at the Steve Hoffman forum is nobody being allowed to bring up or discuss double blind testing which curbs a lot of the reoccurring cable, high res, and all equipment sounds the same arguments that come around all the time. How would you feel about this?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/a-note-about-abx-dbt-blind-testing-and-the-sh-forums.278682/#post-7471063
    2/6/03: This is now a Subjectivist vs. Objectivist DBT Debate Free Forum!

Holy Zoo writes:

"The debate about:

Double Blind Testing

ABX Testing

Objectivity vs. Subjectivity

These are all basically the same time-honored audiophile topic (really: argument). We (Robert and Jeff) have participated on many an audio email list / forum / newsgroup over the years watching and participating in this debate.

Indeed, we come from opposite sides of the argument - Robert tends to be a subjectivist, I lean towards the objectivist camp. Robert believes in tweaking, I'm very doubtful that anyone can hear tweaks and are imagining things (I mean, come on, *especially* Robert! )

Yet we still agree on the following: We've both watched folks who would normally get along great - who share a lot of common musical tastes and opinions - people who even agreed about political and religious topics(!!) - shred each other to little bitty pieces over the Objectivist/Subjectivist Double Blind Testing debate. It can go on and on for hundreds of posts, and the only thing it all accomplishes is to annoy and alienate the people who are not at the polar extremes, while reinforcing the opinions of those who are at the polar extremes.

And here in lies the the problem. It absolutely kills any discussion that it crops up in between regular folk.

For example, lets say that Bradley starts a thread about which amp sounds better - Marantz or Creek, and people are chiming in with their opinions. But then someone will bring up the old "there's never been a scientific study showing that you can tell the difference between the Marantz and the Creek - everyone here is just speculating". This will often divert the entire thread into dozens of posts about the DBT/OS debate. To the extremist, the thread is very much on topic, even more than ever before in his or her mind.

Meanwhile, for the guy who started the thread, who wanted to know the opinions of the folks here on the forum who've actually listened to the Marantz and the Creek -- the answer may never be known. To this poor guy, his thread has been hijacked: technical jargon is thrown around from both sides along with dizzying displays of snide comments and half-hidden digs. The combatants dance the edge of what the moderators find tolerable (well, most of the time anyway) while looking to create the utmost damage to the other side, unaware that many people tune out fairly quickly and to them it all looks like bickering, even if they find themselves sort of agreeing with one side or the other. Pages and pages of posts are created, and like a dog chasing it's own tail, there is no end until both sides tire for the evening or the thread gets closed. The web is filled and filled with such stuff.

If you feel you must debate the issue, there are a myriad of music hardware forums out there waiting. Or if you must, you can even PM a person here about it, if you know they're inclined to want to debate.

But we won't be continuing such scenarios here. To some people, the "Subjectivism vs. Objectivism" debate is almost a religion, and you know where we stand on that. Some people may find our lack of interest to continue what can easily be found elsewhere boring, but we find having amicable discussions refreshing, and the real reason that we were drawn to Steve's site in the first place.

We hope you understand why we've made this decision. If you'd like to discuss it with us in private, our PM-Boxes are always open. What we do not wish to have is a debate about this right here, right now. We are very certain that we've made the best choice for the forum, and as such we ask you to respect this new rule, and to move forward, sharing and discussing the enjoyment of audio and music.

Peace.

Robert & Jeff

We'd like to add a couple of very important clarifications:

1) It is the objectivist/subjectivist debate that is banned, not the notion of reporting the results of DBT's, or taking scientific measurements (for instance, calculating the RMS db level of a recording) and reporting them here.

So, for example, if you and your friends get together and do a double blind test comparing different Beatles albums, you are more than welcome to post the results.

2) In a similiar manner, just as you may not post DBT thread-craps, the inverse is also prohibited: for example, saying "enough of the scientific clap-trap - just trust your ears!".

You missed 2 key points though.....

"It is the objectivist/subjectivist debate that is banned"

"2) In a similiar manner, just as you may not post DBT thread-craps, the inverse is also prohibited: for example, saying "enough of the scientific clap-trap - just trust your ears!"
    But they still have bickering over there anyways, so not sure it truly matters.
    People bicker cause they think they highly subjective Opinions are factual.

Post edited by K_M on
  • txcoastal1
    But the rule in writing sets guide line

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    But the rule in writing sets guide line

Why not ban discussions of cables all together then?

In the end, they serve no real pupose to anyone but the person posting.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Why not ban K_M, who btw never has anything to offer.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    edited June 2017
    Because you don't discuss your "experience" with cables, you discuss DBT, and try to tell people how they should spend their money, and figuratively tell people that their "experience" is BS.

Now you still would have the choice to communicate with the OP or anyone else via PM's to state whatever you would like about DBT, roger russell etc