A "Tip 'O The Hat" for all the help with my buddy's HT

Options
dromunds
dromunds Posts: 9,981
Finally got my buddy's budget 5.1 HT system up and running, and he's happy as a snake's belly in a wagon rut. His new home is in the Parade of Homes this coming weekend. He had asked me to help him set up a HT system on a dime, which I foolishly agreed to do. I have very little HT experience so I asked advice from a bunch of Polkies, who in their customary manner freely gave of their knowledge, and in other cases offered used but well-cared-for gear at very reasonable prices.

Aside from his 65 inch Sony XBR-850D 4K television, he gave me a budget of $750. I exceeded it slightly because of the receiver, which will be a house-warming gift to him from myself, mostly because in my inexperience I did not realize the significance his 4K TV, and HDCP 2.2, would have with regard to the receiver. Would have gone with an older receiver and optical cable, but bit the bullet and got him a refurbed Pioneer Elite SC-91 after talking to a bunch of you about receiver options. The rest of the system is vintage Polk, he especially likes the RT-16's up front and LS-FX surrounds.

Anyway, a "tip 'o the hat" to everyone, and my apologies to anyone who gave me advice that I neglected to mention below. (Some of you may have even forgotten talking or PM'ing with me, its been awhile since I began this but it was kind of a do-it-when-I-saw-fit-to kind of deal.) Plus, I knew I had until the end of May before the workers would be out of the house. The advice I hit you guys up for was wide-ranging believe me as many of the issues that came up I had no experience with being primarily a 2-channel guy previously. 'Twas a fun little project that I learned a ton from, although I must admit being frustrated more than once when I was given such a small budget to work with and my buddy would then turn around spend an equal amount on some "dauble" for his house, such as some crap to hang above the mantel. Lol. I'll try to get some photos later.

These folks and more are the reason this forum is awesome. You helped out a guy who's not an audiophile but who enjoys good sound and he's enjoying his home theater room. Thanks again:
Quickr1
Smglbrth
Nspindel
Nightfall
Mantis
Rick 88
Redtednugent
Endershadow
ZLTFUL
Kharp1
Hochpt21
DSkip
tonyb
Tonyp063
John Megadeath

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Glad everyone could help some on your endeavor. Man is happy, your street creds just shot up a notch too in his book. lol. Expect a Jelly of the month club gift certificate in your Christmas card this year. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    No worries Don. Happy to help.

For me I'm in talks with my wife to try and find some gently used gear to pull a outdoor theater type deal like @scubalab does, only I will be only going for 2 channel to start with and likely active PA speakers.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • quickr1
    quickr1 Posts: 414
    Options
    Glad I could help out Don.it was nice to meet you and chat with you. Glad he's enjoying the speakers.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Good to hear! I also help friends from time to time with stereos. One of my buddies got lucky as I found him a pair of Monitor 40s, Monitor 30s, PSW110, CS2 and a Marantz SR4500 for $95.

Almost took him to jail myself for that steal.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    "I love it when a plan comes together"
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Glad you finally got it pulled together for him, Don. Seems you were pulling your hair out there for a bit. One thing there isn't a shortage of here is people willing to help and good information.