Sgt Pepper at 50

nspindel
nspindel Posts: 5,343
Anyone getting busy with this yet? Just giving the vinyl a first spin now, and yeah it really is all that. Sounds absolutely incredible!
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I've been giving this some serious thought but haven't yet pulled the trigger. I have the original vinyl in minty condition but would like to hear outtakes and other material. One of my rather recent favorites is Dylan's Telltale Signs, which includes various outtakes and unreleased material. It is not uncommon for the outtake to sound better than the version some "suit" selected for the album. I'll be continuing to give the "new" Sgt. Pepper serious consideration and will likely break down and get it. Would be interested in more in-depth review.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    U can stream it in tidal if you just wanna check it out...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Thanks for the post Neil. Keep the thoughts coming!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    heard it sunday. breakfast with the beatles. nice
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I also pick up a vinyl copy over the weekend. Sounds fantastic. Better than any of the other copies I have.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Great post Neil, very well produced album. :) I one heard that some of the tracks were recorded with a Teac 3340 reel to reel. :p
  • nspindel
    Let me put it this way. This is not just a new master. It is a new stereo mix. It is like nothing you've ever heard before. I cried during A Day In The Life. Yes, I'm admitting that. Cried. Tears. Goosebumps. All the hairs on my arms were standing straight up. It is that good.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    I should also mention that I have two British mono first pressings, one of which is a 4th Proof, plus a US Stereo 1st press and the mono reissue. So I know what this album has sounded like on vinyl for the past 50 years. Tears. I just couldn't believe what was coming out of my speakers.
  • nspindel
    Gave it a second listen last night. First time was through the SDAs, second was through my Grado GH1 headphones. Hard to put into words how much different this sounds than the original, other than to say that this is how it should have sounded all along. Everyone knows the deal with the stereo Beatles mixes, they were an afterthought up until Abbey Road. Pan left, pan right, done. But this new mix just shines. Everything is so much more vibrant, so much more slam to the music, there's depth, there's imaging, it's just brilliant. I've barely listened to the stereo mix in years, because I'd become so fond of listening to the mono vinyl. Finally, the most important album of all time sounds incredible in stereo!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    If you want to spoil your memories of the Beatles Sgt Pepper's, get this DVD from Amazon. I saw the movie when it came out (about the same time as the movie FM). (Peter Frampton plus the Bee Gees)

t5t33zv2vpbq.png

As far as I know, for some odd and strange reason, it has not been ported over to BD

"Get thee behind me, Satan!"

;)

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    hey, I own copies of both of those albums... as well as this one.

Petrahadensellout.jpg

... but I digress :)

on topic ;)
    I am totally bewildered, befuddled and confused by the myriad options vis-a-vis the new for 2017 Sgt. Pepper's remixes, remasters, rehearsal tapes, flubbed outtakes, and floor sweepings. I am gonna buy something I am sure... but what?!? That, my comrades, remains a puzzlement.
  • nspindel
    I'm a minimalist, I figure at some point I'll lay hands on the hi rez audio I'm sure. That's what's nice about the vinyl, there aren't any choices, just the 2LP set. I listened to the rehearsal takes also yesterday. Very cool to hear, but not likely to get a spin often. That's usually the case with all the bonus stuff they pack the box sets with. You listen once and say "cool" and never listen again. But the first LP..... will get plenty of action in this house!
  • nspindel
    Thought I might have a look at what they were saying about Pepper's at 50 over on the Steve Hoffman forums. The thread is already 905 pages long! Not posts. PAGES!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sgt-peppers-50th-anniversary-editions-to-be-released-may-26-2017-anticipation-thread.654994/
  • nspindel
    edited May 2017
    Ah, that's just the anticipation thread! Then that thread closes and directs you to the new thread that fired up to discuss the release. There are some heavy duty Beatles people over there :o

New thread is under a week old and is up to 171 pages...
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Was debating buying the vinyl as I already have 3 copies. But after reading your steller review. Ordered it today.
  • nspindel
    Yep, I hear you. I had four already, just on vinyl. This is a whole different animal.
  • nspindel
    Even got a wow out of the wife.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    No vinyl for me, but I wish I could afford the CD's. $150 a little too rich for my blood. It is my favorite Beatles' album, though.
  • chumlie
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    No vinyl for me, but I wish I could afford the CD's. $150 a little too rich for my blood. It is my favorite Beatles' album, though.

CD's can be yours for $14. :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Sgt-Peppers-Lonely-Hearts-Anniversary/dp/B06WVHB7B3/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Once again, you can stream it cd quality on tidal. Listening now!

And the single disc is only $14 at amazon!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    chumlie wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

CD's can be yours for $14. :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Sgt-Peppers-Lonely-Hearts-Anniversary/dp/B06WVHB7B3/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Wow, thanks. I checked Amazon and of course the 4 disc, Super Deluxe, etc. etc. came up for me.
  • chumlie
    I figured as much.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    any idea where the vinyl was pressed?