Confused on cross. freq setup...

I have sony str dh-770. Polk t15 front left and front right, polk t30 center, polk psw-108 subwoofer and left, right, back left, back right (4 total surrounds) insignia NS-OS112.

I run the auto calibration from the sony receiver and it finds the fronts as "large" speakers but they are like 5.25" book shelf speakers. So i switch those to small size and it makes the fronts, center and surrounds all 120hz...

Cant the t15 go down to 60hz? T30 center down to 38hz?

Should I have the sub low pass knob turn all the way to the right to 160?

Comments

• behrprofl
    behrprofl Posts: 7
    helppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • dannylightning
    dannylightning Posts: 233
    edited May 2017
    i would probably keep the fronts as large speakers.

its been a while since i had a surround sound system but im pretty sure small speakers are for little tiny things that doe not put out much bass at all. im guessing that is your issue.

go back to big speakers and i would actually set the fronts and center cut off all at 65hz and set the subwoofer dial at 65hz..

or you could try to set them all to 120hz and than set the sub to 120hz..

if set at 65 hz for the mains they will not produce any bass below 65hz.. so you set the sub to 65hz and it will only produce bass at 65 and below 65hz so the sub takes over the bass frequency the mains are not producing. i hope this helps..
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Not knowing your receiver most would set the cut off at 80hz. I'd give that a try and set the sub between 80-100. Are you running the sub with LFE input or is this like a sub satellite type set up.
  • behrprofl
    I have rca cable from receiver sub out to LINE IN on the subwoofer itself.

so you're saying run front center and surroudns at 80? the surrounds I have are 90hz..
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Not knowing your receiver most would set the cut off at 80hz. I'd give that a try and set the sub between 80-100. Are you running the sub with LFE input or is this like a sub satellite type set up.

• pitdogg2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Agree with the above
    Specs are before the slope and spec'd close to maximum

T15's probably slope at 75-80hz, and the center channel at closer to 50-60Hz

80 is probably a good start
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • behrprofl
    Okay Ill try 80 for the fronts and 60 on the center when I get home.

What about the surrounds? 120? specs on the speaker is at 90z-20khz

then 160 on the sub?
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Agree with the above
    Specs are before the slope and spec'd close to maximum

T15's probably slope at 75-80hz, and the center channel at closer to 50-60Hz

80 is probably a good start

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    From all I gather, your using the sub out on the receiver to the line in on the subwoofer, no other speakers are attached to the sub, correct ? All attached to the receiver ?

In the receivers menu, set everything to small crossed at 80. That's a starting point, you may like 70 better, but experiment a little with it. The crossover on the sub should be set to it's highest value so you don't have a double filtering effect by using both crossovers in the sub and receiver.

Some receivers let you further adjust frequencies for every channel, it's a matter of trial and error to see what sounds best to you in your room.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • from the svs website on speaker crossover settings.

The most common crossover frequency recommended (and the THX standard) is 80 Hz.

The numbers below highlight general guidelines for speaker/subwoofer crossover frequencies

-Mid-size bookshelf: 80-100 Hz. (i would say your T15's are mid sized)
    -Large bookshelf: 60-80 Hz.

this how i personally set my subs crossover and volume settings..

adjust the sub woofer volume so the sub is loud enough to be clearly heard. start with the crossover dial at the lowest setting and slowly turn it up till it seems to blend in, it will probably close to the number you set the speakers to but maybe not

next slowly Lower the volume of the sub till it blends in, listen to a few albums and see if it still sounds right., some recordings have more bass than others so you kind of want to find a volume that works well with bass heavy recording and bass shy recordings.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• behrprofl
    What about the SONY STR-DH770 receiver sound field? Should I be using Multi channel? Direct? HD DCS with theater, dynamic or studio?
  • pitdogg2
    behrprofl wrote: »
    What about the SONY STR-DH770 receiver sound field? Should I be using Multi channel? Direct? HD DCS with theater, dynamic or studio?

That's entirely up to you. When I play movies I like auto so whether DD or DTS it makes it's own decision on the signal seen. For 2ch I dislike many of the DSP programs so I like straight 2ch. You and only can make the distinction as to what sounds best to you.
  • behrprofl
    Thats the reason I ask though... the sony dh-770 doesnt have AFD or auto mode...

theres a button on my remote that saya 2ch/multi and i can choose multi channel or direct. Theres also a button that says movie where i can cycle through and choose PLII or PLIIx
  • definitely 2 channel for music, music does not sound right being played in anything but 2 channel if you ask me.

the direct setting probably disables all digital multi channel processing to give you a cleaner experience with music. so 2 channel direct mode for music would probably be your best bet..

for movies multi channel gives you the surround sound . and if there are different multi channel settings you can select try them out and see which one seem to to sound better to you.. my buddys big fancy surround stereo has a load of different surround DTS and dolby and some other sound processing setting for multi channel. they all sounded pretty similar to me.

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• pitdogg2
    edited May 2017
    Thats the reason I ask though... the sony dh-770 doesnt have AFD or auto mode...

theres a button on my remote that saya 2ch/multi and i can choose multi channel or direct. Theres also a button that says movie where i can cycle through and choose PLII or PLIIx

there's more to it than that I just googled the manual and read it. Do you have a manual? It's a simple receiver not a lot of bells and whistles. watching a movie choose MULTI. want 2ch choose stereo. You have more than PL2 and PL2x you also have DD and DTS

It does have an auto mode its called HD-D.C.S

https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4584079132.pdf

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4KjgWoYy347/p_158STDH770/Sony-STR-DH770.html
  • behrprofl
    HD DCS IS not AFD. It is DSP. It just adds reverb
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Not familiar with your AVR at all, but here is what I would do.

Re-run the calibration program, at night, while everybody is asleep. Turn off the AC, appliances, fans, etc. you want the room dead quiet.

After the calibration is complete, set all speakers to small. There is no reason what so ever to send 40 Hz and lower signals to anything but your sub.

The cross over setting is different with different AVR's. Some will allow you to adjust individual speakers, some use only one setting for all the speakers.

If you can adjust exact individual speaker, set all that are 80 Hz and below to 80 Hz. The ones that are higher than 80, leave them alone. Your AVR determined that those speakers set higher than 80 can't really play freqs very much lower, so either trust your AVR, or experiment after giving that a listen.

Your subs crossover setting, the one on the sub, should be set at its highest setting. This will allow the AVR to control where to send the low freq signals, and the sub will just play what is sent to it.

Speakers set to large receive the full range of frequencies that are being sent out.
    Speakers set to small won't be sent frequencies very much below whatever you set the crossover at on the AVR.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

Your AVR has Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding options. I suggest you read the owner's manual.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk