I'd like to install a pair of Polk 14 speakers on the Optical Digital Audio Out of my LG6090. I need

an idea for in inexpensive amp that will receive (accept ) the cable with subsequent connection to the speakers. Is there another way to do this. The speakers are 20 watts (2) I believe. I've read about a Digital optical c oAxial Toslink Signal to an Analog Audio Converter .I know this is a cheapee but I've got only one ear and my wife has hearing aids. I'm just trying to hear the shows w/o investing $100's or $1000's

Answers

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Look at Peach Tree audio products
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    Since you want the cheapest means to get optical from your TV to a pair of speakers, and aren't concerned with high sound quality, here is one possibility:

optical converter:
    https://www.parts-express.com/fiio-d03k-coaxial-optical-dac-digital-analog-converter--230-120

small amp--if 8 wpc into 8 ohms is sufficient:
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta3116s-class-d-micro-mini-amplifier-2-x-15w--300-3815

if you need more power, then consider:
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

Note: both amps use class-T (sub set of class-D) topology, and as such are not compatible with sub-woofers using speaker level connections!

Best thing to do may be to call Parts Express & talk with one of their advisors to make sure this would work!

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Cheapest way in my view, grab a receiver off of craigslist that has digital inputs. You can usually find one for 25-50 bucks. Connect the digital output of the tv to the digital input of the receiver, then connect the speakers to the receiver and your done.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    tonyb wrote: »
    Cheapest way in my view, grab a receiver off of craigslist that has digital inputs. You can usually find one for 25-50 bucks. Connect the digital output of the tv to the digital input of the receiver, then connect the speakers to the receiver and your done.

Yup, and if you are not comfortable wuth CL, pawn shops and some check cashing places usually have oodles of em.