Will the value of an SRT system increase with age?

What is the current value of a SRT system (VERY good condition)??Anybody know?I'm not selling just curiousme1pfhnraec1.jpg

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    $43....I'll be there Saturday. Cash on the barrel head.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Dude that's way too much....how about 3 bitcoins
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dude that's way too much....how about 3 bitcoins

No dice, Big I......my bank says that our deposits are "secure" and "insured" simply because they have marked plots out back of the building.
    I figured it out once I saw my "deposits" being stuffed into a Mason jar and handed over to the part-time grave digger by the teller.
    Bitcoin can't be buried....or tendered in exchange for a bushel of rye for "distillation" purpouses.
  • katomklysm
    katomklysm Posts: 34
    Hmmm, stupid question i guess............
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    katomklysm wrote: »

Nah, just stupid people :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    Maybe this will help....click on sold/expired
    https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Polk+SRT
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I don't know the current value but I would really doubt it will be worth more as time passes as maybe a rare record or classic car would.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    They are worth as much as a potential buyer will pay. I highly doubt they will ever appreciate. But that's just my humble opinion.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nope, they certainly are not going to appreciate in value. Look at it now, they started at 10 g's.....and parts are not being made anymore. If you have a working pair, I'd sell them and move on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • katomklysm
    katomklysm Posts: 34
    Thanks for all the comments, oh, I'm NOT selling, it took me over a year to get them in perfect working order, jaws hit the floor when I do a Pacific Rim 4k kaiju scene, love,love,love them.......just was wondering monetary value for no real reason.
  • txcoastal1
    Then enjoy enjoy enjoy...system is hard to come by, and hard to replace

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited June 2017
    I think the value depends on the condition and how much you paid for it in the first place. When these were new they sold for $12,000 USD (in 1996 dollars) so I doubt they will ever be worth more than that.

$12,000 USD in 1996 equals $18,875 in today's money.

Needless to say they are the most-expensive speakers Polk ever produced. A true flagship effort.

There is nothing made by Polk today that I would rather have.

The main reason you can find these speakers for relatively cheap now days is because the subwoofer drivers had a quality issue where the spiders separated causing a loud rattle. Most people think they are blown-up and don't realize that they can be repaired. Once repaired they are like new.

Another reason you see these for sale is because they are so big and heavy. Today's speaker market has moved to being smaller and more compact. People don't seem to like the gigantic floor speakers anymore. I do though. I want the biggest, baddest speakers I can get and these definitely fit the bill.

That's why I plan to keep mine for a long time and have no plans on selling them. I didn't buy two sets of them as an investment. I wanted them to use! I have even stocked-up on NOS replacement drivers and other parts so I can keep them in top shape for years to come.

They sound awesome for both music and HT.

Performance Without Limits!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2017

txcoastal1 wrote: »

Nah, just stupid people :p

77f5d38097b4012f2fe400163e41dd5b

:)

In some seriousness, though -- I usually just check eBAY completed auctions and view the results with a certain level of skeptical judgmentalism ;) Local sales probably mean a 10 to 15% discount, best case, over eBAY prices due to the rather more limited marketplace. Admittedly, it's trickier with uncommon hardware; do these ever show up, e.g., on Audiogon?

We're not talking classic Altec/JBL/Western Electric/Tannoy/Quad here -- these will not appreciate over time.

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    You can usually sell a decent set with the two fronts, a center , and the control center for $3,000 any time you want. If they are really-nice and include the rear surrounds and the remote I see them go for like $4,500 pretty-easily. If they are exceptional and you have the boxes and the manual and some extras they are probably worth more to the right person.

Put it this way, IMO they are worth more than any other Polk speakers ever made (including the brand-new ones) and are a steal for $3,000 if you can find a nice set for that.