Polk, you may have just lost me as a customer after 16 years of buying only Polk products.

I am currently posted overseas, but I have a U.S. pouch address to ship packages to. So when I needed an outdoor speaker, my first and only stop was Polk. When I noticed that Polk eBay charged me sales tax when they're not supposed to, I sent the below email.

Dear Polk,

The shipping address is the pouch sorting facility for embassies abroad. Port of Spain street address signifies US embassy in Trinidad and Tobago, and each country has its own a street address. Thus, there should be no sales tax for orders shipped to 20189 zip code.

Most major retailers do not charge taxes on orders shipped to 20189, including Amazon, Walmart, Target, Bestbuy, etc. Staples used to, but have since issued me a tax exempt card to use for orders while overseas.

I recommend removing sales tax from orders shipped to 20189 zipcode.

Regards,

I expected an answer like, "I apologize but our system doesn't allow for this, but we'll definitely look into it!", and I would have been happy to move on. Instead, I end up receiving the below email.

Good afternoon-

Sorry, this doesn't change anything. Polk Audio eBay charges state to all states that collect. Some online sellers do and some don't. We do charge state sales tax and unfortunately we're unable to waive. If you're not willing to pay, we would suggest purchasing from another seller.

Best regards,

Although I was willing to pay the measly $7 tax, I don't think any customer deserves to be treated this way so I did cancel my order as he recommended. It's unfortunate that Polk still hasn't figured out how important customer service is, especially looking at successes of other companies focused on it. And with the proliferation of internet direct competitors, it's more important than ever to not lose your lifelong customers with a dumb email.

I started loving Polk when I used to sell them at circuitry city during college days, and pushed them a ton of business. My car audio was Polk. My first 5.1 system was full Polk, which sadly I had to sell. Then when my career took off, I immediately put together a 7.0 RTi setup (sorry, sub is a Hsu :smile: ), which I was planning to replace with LSi in 2-3 years. This kind of progression is what a company should hope for, but when I am basically instructed by your rep to not order your products, it makes me want to take my money elsewhere. So instead of the Atrium 8 SDI, I just ordered a Def Tech AW6500. If they impress me, well, you've lost a life long customer.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I agree with Skip's assessment.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    It reads as if someone doesn't realize Trinidad and Tobago are countries, not states. :)

Polk response:
    "Polk Audio eBay charges state to all states that collect"
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • hyy5s
    hyy5s Posts: 6
    DSkip wrote: »
    I don't think you understand their stance. They aren't turning you away from Polk, but recommending to buy from a dealer instead of direct to try and avoid tax. Their accounting dept has to charge it, but that doesn't mean someone like crutchfield would have to.

Not sure if you understand how eBay works. There aren't any other sellers of the same product (factory refurbished Atrium 8), and obviously the rep is well aware of that. That's like going to a used car dealer and they tell you to go buy the same car from someone else.

$7 is trivial compared to the thousands I've spent on Polk products. Wasn't about the money, obviously.
  • F1nut
    Part of the problem is your zip code shows as Dulles, VA. while another part of the problem is I don't think the person responding to your email understood what you were trying to explain.

I still agree with Skip's assessment though.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited May 2017
    Agreed, I don't think they understood, and were probably unable to waive anyway since it officially resolves to stateside as noted. And let's be honest here, Polk's Ebay store isn't anywhere near the size of any of those companies you listed, and doesn't do that kind of volume. Understandable that they might not know the deal with Embassy purchases. Your message didn't exactly carry the friendliest tone, either. You recommend? Who are you?

Also agree the verbage seems to indicate "buy Polks from another seller that can offer product without charging tax, but we have to."

Do agree that if that's all you received it does seem a bit short for a customer service response, but I don't think they were telling you, tough nuggets. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face due to a lack of adequate communication and misunderstanding of intent or tone.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The good thing is he bought Def Tech's...Polks sister company :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited May 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You mean, "The good thing is he bought Def Tech's...Polks [Samsung's] sister company." :)

Sound United has nothing to do with Samsung to my knowledge

Denon/Marantz, Boston Acoustics, Polk, and Def Tech
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut

That cracked me up too.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    What's your mailing address... I will send you 7 bucks and say thank you for your service. Marine Embassy Guard perhaps?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited May 2017
    Amazon now charges me tax in Illinois and many others are now doing the same. These same companies didn't last year. Times are a changing

I also agree with Skip here. I think you missed the point as it was nudge nudge wink wink i can't come right out and say it but read between the lines and here's how you can do this.
  • hyy5s
    If you really think "If you're not willing to pay," is a customer friendly tone, then I stand corrected. May you receive this level of excellent customer service for the rest of your lives.
  • hyy5s
    F1nut wrote: »

That cracked me up too.

Thanks for pointing this out, I had no idea. Plenty of time to cancel the order.

• hyy5s
    What's your mailing address... I will send you 7 bucks and say thank you for your service. Marine Embassy Guard perhaps?

Not an MSG, but thanks. Feel free to send it to their attention anyway, should buy them a few beers.
  • F1nut
    hyy5s wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

That cracked me up too.

Thanks for pointing this out, I had no idea. Plenty of time to cancel the order.

Now, you're being childish.

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Pay your damn taxes!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    You really should be complaining about the tax laws, not the fact that Polk is legally obligated to pay the tax on your purchase, and therefor expects you to pay the tax.

In the world of "choose your battles", this one doesn't seem to move the needle.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Did I miss something or was this really over only seven bucks?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    daddyjt wrote: »
    In the world of "choose your battles", this one doesn't seem to move the needle.

Bingo....what more needs to be said ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    What a tool.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • hyy5s
    This will be my last post, since it looks like I ran into a den of fanboys.

1. Virginia is not allowed to collect taxes to zip code 20189. Same rules apply to APO and DPO addresses (which are physically located in NJ, FL, or WA). Again, it is illegal for VA to collect taxes on sales to 20189, and USPS post code database has this updated information. Polk is not using this database.

2. For the 3rd time in this thread, it's not about the money. $7 is 0.00875% of my after tax income last year. If you choose not to read this, well, many comparisons can be made to other groups that ignore facts.

3. As I stated in the original email, all I expected was a we'll look into that, thanks for pointing it out. Not a go buy it somewhere else. If you really think this is good customer service, I don't know what to say.

Thanks to all of your help, I will definitely not return to buying Polk that you so vigorously defend. In the end consumers choose with their pocket books, not by what internet trolls write.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    hyy5s wrote: »
    This will be my last post, since it looks like I ran into a den of fanboys...

You'll be missed.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I have no skin in this game but here's my take on the OP's comments. If I dealt with a company and was pleased for 26 years and then all bets are off when a $7.00 Uncle Sam charge comes my way with an option to avoid it?

I'd say that the problem lies with me and not the company that had satisfactory service provided to me for 26 years.

It's akin to be married to your wife satisfactorily for 26 years and then she charges something to your credit card because of some issue with hers and is willing to transfer funds back in because that's the only thing she could do.....and now you want a divorce.

I think someone is being unreasonable here.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited May 2017
    Polk is not a major or even a minor internet retailer so not surprising their payment system does not have an automatic sales tax waiver for diplomatic pouch mail. Amazon sells the Atrium 8 new for $187 a piece as does Worldwidestereo through Amazon. In future I would recommend following up to a misunderstanding with a customer service clerk by citing the Virginia Tax Code provision that excludes zip code 20189 from State sales tax collection. With so much outsourcing these days, there is no guarantee the EBay order fulfillment service is even manned by Polk employees anymore.

There will still be companies that do not budge from collecting sales taxes and sending them to Virginia regardless of what a customer says. The diplomatic pouch system is far less well known compared to APO mail for military members.