Can Any Vinyl Gurus ID This Cartridge?

scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
Curious if anyone can help ID this cartridge. Closest models I found on a Google image search were the AT-90E, AT-331E, or the HP-200 MK II.

Here it is:

kvvczk7wxmhn.jpg

irrgbfer2f70.jpg

yjfoifmuhppd.jpg

2cbcs4ey8co9.jpg

Thanks in advance - Al

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2017
    Take it out of the head shell. AT usually has the model number on the top.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • scubalab
    That's my next step, but not having ever aligned a cartridge, I was hoping to avoid doing that and reinstalling it out of alignment. I'm more curious than anything, but would like to make sure the VTF is properly set for the cart.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Trace a couple alignment marks on headshell.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    scubalab wrote: »
    That's my next step, but not having ever aligned a cartridge, I was hoping to avoid doing that and reinstalling it out of alignment. I'm more curious than anything, but would like to make sure the VTF is properly set for the cart.

You are assuming it is correct now. I wouldnt. Remove it see what it is. Not to difficult to reinstall.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • scubalab
    Not any of the models I thought it could have been. It's an AT433E.

fusycvwzb189.jpg
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Do not be intimidated with installing a cartridge. Patience is all you need.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • scubalab
    It was simple enough! :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I like to drink six or seven cups of coffee before installing or removing a phono cartridge. Keeps life interesting ;)

Seriously -- glad the scuba-doo gang solved the mystery! ruh-roh! :)

MysteryMachine1.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I hate aligning cartridges. Worst part of the hobby to me.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Replacement stylus will run ya around fifty bucks....
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Nightfall wrote: »

No as hard as restringing a weed eater!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @scubalab - Do you want to stick with the AT or try a different brand/flavor? Did you get that vintage Onkyo 'table or something else?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I'm gonna say this is an Audio Technica cartridge, Al.
    Glad to be of help. And just in the nick of time, before the long weekend.
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    Victor - No intentions of changing the cartridge right now. It sounds fantastic. I did not end up getting the Onkyo... he and I set up a time to look at it and the jerk sold it out from under me without even telling me. It was probably better because another one (I think better too) showed up this past week. I picked up a Kenwood KD-5070 from a local guy who was liquidating in preparation for a move. It's really nice and I got a great deal. He even threw in som LPs in great condition including several we'd been looking for.

Scott - Thanks man! It was driving me crazy. I knew I could count on you!

Have a nice holiday weekend all!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have a KD550 that I got with that same cart. If I hadn't gotten a fantastic deal on the ClearAudio cart I am using now, it would still be in there.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    A little late here, but that cart is from the AT10/11/12 family, meaning it can accept any styli from that family. The ATN12XE stylus has a nude-mounted elliptical with a slightly finer point than the stock bonded tip on the one you have, so might be worth seeking out. And then there's the ATN12S, or ATS12S stylus with a bonded Shibata tip :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited June 2017
    stones89 wrote: »

No as hard as restringing a weed eater!

Get a Speed Feed ;) It's like P mount for line trimmers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqO3kKZttWc
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • scubalab
    Great info John- I will keep it in mind should I decide to change out the stylus.

Gotta get me one of those Speed Feed thingies Josh.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Get a Speed Feed ;) It's like P mount for line trimmers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqO3kKZttWc

I have a P-Mount table will this work on it. :tongue:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain