External Rings..

It's hard to capture the gloss black on these,
xpcfgitt5wpp.jpg
nf9wa18cena2.jpg
zik12puka6tn.jpg
61b8bneya7ts.jpg

Not sure if they will have a negative affect on sound but it dresses them up a bit, and as always it's worth a try as I'm not out anything but time. Looking forward to having these hooked up again..

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    These are made of 6061 T6 Aluminum..
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I think it looks sweet. Look forward to seeing a complete speaker.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Looks nice! Larry.

It only took you what 6 years after I asked you about it. Put me down for a set for my 1C's. (powder coated) :wink:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Larry do they sammich to the inside rings?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I love the concept Larry, but I do think the screw heads should be countersunk and flushed, or have the rings be threaded through from the inside with no screwheads showing at all. Still trying to wrap my head around bolting things together however...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    edited May 2017
    but I do think the screw heads should be countersunk and flushed,

AndI'll disagree with that. I like the contrast & the industrial look. But.
    De gustibus non est disputandum.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Are they strictly decorative Larry, or do they exert pressure on the rubber surrounds when torqued down?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I don't know if they add anything sonically but they sure do look nice.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited May 2017
    Are they strictly decorative Larry, or do they exert pressure on the rubber surrounds when torqued down?

I don't think it really maters so as long as they don't interfere with the flexible part of the surround, They would keep one from over torquing the mounting screws and dimpling the baskets.

(One of these days I'm gonna learn how to speall).
    Post edited by gimpod on
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    I know diffraction is not as important on the SDA design but that was my first thought with these rings... now the stock grills are basically one big diffraction point, but my thoughts for the rings directly correlate to the tweeters

yo1y4zbt9c1u.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    On the flip side, building an insert that brings the baffle flush with the grill... I think that would actually bring some nice positive improvements - kind of like the RTi series and their anti-diffraction baffles.6qu8pmcec7kx.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    They look good to me...would look better if the screws were the same color.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

Studying the pictures I can say they do not touch the rubber at all on the mid-drivers and maybe just slightly on the outer edge of the PR.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    F1nut wrote: »

Studying the pictures I can say they do not touch the rubber at all on the mid-drivers and maybe just slightly on the outer edge of the PR.
    That's what I was getting at. The rubber could actually move or creep under stress, and buckle up.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2017
    These do not touch the rubber at all, and I don't think that would be a good idea, I could see it becoming a very big issue down the road if not right away..
  • westmassguy
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    These do not touch the rubber at all, and I don't think that would be a good idea, I could see it becoming a very big issue down the road if not right away..
    Excellent. That was my only concern Larry.
    They look sweet!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2017
    That's sexy and so clean....looking forward to the top and side mods.

Are you making matching tweeter bezels?

...for good reason you're fidgeting ;) ....just a couple more days
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Toolfan66
    I'm not happy with the tweeter bezels, I'm going to leave them stock for now..
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    tqkwtcvdn0u0.jpg

Your tweeters are MIA??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5