Do you know Cary?

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
After selling the Parasound Halo P5 I was going to slum it with the Marantz NR1403 for awhile but I came across this Cary Audio Design CPA-1 Full Balanced preamp and I decided to give it a shot.

Does anyone have any experience with this preamp? I couldn't find much info on it via the interweb. It sounds very good in my setup and it's really amazing with making vocals sound lifelike compared to the P5 (the P5 wasn't bad, this is just different). The seller offered to pay the return shipping if I didn't like it so I had nothing to lose. He said he bought it ostensibly new in 2014 so I'm wondering what the time period was when these were made new.

Thanks for any and all input!

34074130713_5c0d12f1aa_b.jpg

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Made in North Carolina....'nuff said.

Check for corn squeezin' input option on the back.
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Options
    I have their SLP-03... really nice stuff/qaulity
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Yes, yes I do know Cary.....she's my sister. How do you know my sister ? :)

The CPA-1 I have not heard, but reviews suggest it's somewhat hit or miss Which can be said for most tubed gear because much relies on the tubes you use. I do know a few members have one and like it so hopefully they'll chime in for ya.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

The CPA-1 I have not heard, but reviews suggest it's somewhat hit or miss Which can be said for most tubed gear because much relies on the tubes you use. I do know a few members have one and like it so hopefully they'll chime in for ya.
    Hey there Tony,

This model is solid state. "Tube sound" without the tubes. lol.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Made in North Carolina....'nuff said.

Check for corn squeezin' input option on the back.

Homer
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    I enjoy some of Cary's products. I have not heard this one, but I'm sure it's got some soul to the sound.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Hi Victor! Nice pre amp! Cary has all info on their site. This pre has higher input impedance than the Halo so we'll have to revisit coupling caps in your Bottlehead Reduction/Integration.

RCA inputs show 100K Ohms for the CPA-1, where your Halo was much lower. Good news is they will be lower value caps which means less $$ for good caps.

https://www.caryaudio.com/product-support/cpa-1/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Hi Victor! Nice pre amp! Cary has all info on their site. This pre has higher input impedance than the Halo so we'll have to revisit coupling caps in your Bottlehead Reduction/Integration.

RCA inputs show 100K Ohms for the CPA-1, where your Halo was much lower. Good news is they will be lower value caps which means less $$ for good caps.

https://www.caryaudio.com/product-support/cpa-1/

Hey Rich!

Thanks for chiming in! I'm sorry to have to put you through swapping out the cap. I didn't anticipate selling the P5 but, once things fell into place for my wife, it was unavoidable.

You are the best man!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    halo wrote: »

Hey Rich!

Thanks for chiming in! I'm sorry to have to put you through swapping out the cap. I didn't anticipate selling the P5 but, once things fell into place for my wife, it was unavoidable.

You are the best man!

Happy to be of some help! Thx!

Vcap calculator shows .80uf to keep the -3dB frequency at 2Hz with 100,000 ohms input impedance. I'll still run it by Jeff as he looks at the circuit of the supply device to determine the actual value.

My ARC Ref 3 has 300K Ohms SE input impedance. I ended up with .33uf couplers on my Bottlehead Eros. I used Sonicap Platinums, like $60 each. If I needed 2.0uf, they would cost $224 each.

Maybe your bro can run you down here for a swap out / get together before you leave the State.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    halo wrote: »

Hey there Tony,

This model is solid state. "Tube sound" without the tubes. lol.

My bad man, had it mixed up with their other entry level pre's. Dang series numbers, lol

I'd look for the tubed version anyway. Just dig the tube sound over solid state but that's just me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    Options

My bad man, had it mixed up with their other entry level pre's. Dang series numbers, lol

I'd look for the tubed version anyway. Just dig the tube sound over solid state but that's just me.
    I hear ya.

This Cary pre + the B&K = SS with a really warm "tube" sound. I've got a tube DAC and the Phono pre Rich is referring to is tubes as well.
  • halo
    Options

Happy to be of some help! Thx!

Vcap calculator shows .80uf to keep the -3dB frequency at 2Hz with 100,000 ohms input impedance. I'll still run it by Jeff as he looks at the circuit of the supply device to determine the actual value.

My ARC Ref 3 has 300K Ohms SE input impedance. I ended up with .33uf couplers on my Bottlehead Eros. I used Sonicap Platinums, like $60 each. If I needed 2.0uf, they would cost $224 each.

Ok
    Maybe your bro can run you down here for a swap out / get together before you leave the State.

That'd be great! Greg's work is nowhere near my place but I think it'd be nice to go out to your place and get our ears on your current setup before I move.