The moped of Audio??

Hi find people's reaction when I tell them I have Polk audio SDA speakers to be quite amusing. I have one close friend who is really into this hobby who is almost angry with me and refuses to believe the speakers are any good. But the crazy part is he hasn't even heard them! I have to admit they are much better than I thought they would be. And for the Financial outlay they can't be beat. I have owned a huge number of high and audio file brands, and at this point I plan to keep the pokes and focus on them. but as I say my audio file friends mostly react with disbelief when I tell them this. Not that I care, but it is annoying how people judge before the but as I say my audio file friends mostly react with disbelief when I tell them this. Not that I care, but it is annoying how people judge before they even hear things. Why do you think pollk can't seem to shake this mid fi I image? I find the comparable models better than paradigms and paradigm seems to be more excepted by the community. What have your acquaintances reactions been?

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    That is "normal" for audioPHILES (sorry had to correct it) to think that way of SDAs which is a big reason they discontinued the line. Too big for the average consumer, not "pure" enough for audiophiles.

From what I read it has to do with the SDA tech, most audiophiles believe this creates a faux reproduction of the music and to them seems next to sacrilegious. Idk either you like the SDA sound or not. I personally love it but i'm also not an "audiophile" just a music lover who happens to buy lots of audio gear.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Mopeds are cool as are fat chicks, just as long as your friends don't see you riding them.

Brutal
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    My Father (who was somewhat of an audiophile back in the late 50's) used to tell me how the "true" audiophiles of his day used to think that mono was the only true audiophile format and stereo was for infidels.

I know several long-time audiophiles who have Polk speakers with thousands of dollars worth of super high-end equipment driving them. They seem pretty-content.

I think maybe your so-called "good friend" might be what is commonly known (not just in audio circles) as being a "snob". Audio gear is just like high performance cars or anything else. There's always something faster. And if you are some privileged filthy-rich dude, the sky's the limit on how much you can blow on it and look down on others if that's what gets your rocks off.
  • analogluvr
    analogluvr Posts: 72
    He fits into the type that thinks it's sacrilegious what they do with the signal. I think it sounds great and it sounds more natural than the pinpoint Imaging of some audio file approved speakers and I do know how to spell it but apparently Siri doesn't
  • analogluvr
    analogluvr Posts: 72
    Mopeds are cool as are fat chicks, just as long as your friends don't see you riding them.

Brutal
    Don't hold it against motorhead that's where the saying comes from…
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    I've gotten the same reaction from people... I'm so pleased with my SDAs, I've been spending stupid money trying to make my other systems sound nearly as good. So far, no luck.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    This is so foreign to me, you guys having people local to you who are into this hobby and have enough experience and can offer reasonably respectable perspectives. Even if they're wrong perspectives.

Some people just drink too much coffee and get angry when other people aren't like them. I say, switch them for four days, to add in some protein shakes in the AM, Kefir at night, fresh fruit throughout, and come back and try SDA again. Guarantee you they'll show up in clothing fresh from doing tai chi in a park somewhere and will enjoy SDAs. Or at least respect that you like them. They might even start talking about "Universe". That's your cue to make like a phoetus and head out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    JPete wrote: »
    I've gotten the same reaction from people... I'm so pleased with my SDAs, I've been spending stupid money trying to make my other systems sound nearly as good. So far, no luck.
    My 1cs are the same, a speaker that will never leave my living room unless someone prys them from my....you know the rest

humpty dumpty was pushed
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Most audiophiles like to say what they have and wear it like a badge. Its a keep up with the Joneses’ game, when in reality no one really cares and if they do it is only for a brief moment. :p
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    This is a good thing. I hope a lot of folks feel this way ! More SDA's for us !!
  • I think they are consider mid-fi, because that's what they are. And there is nothing wrong with that.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    That is "normal" for audioPHILES (sorry had to correct it) to think that way of SDAs which is a big reason they discontinued the line. Too big for the average consumer, not "pure" enough for audiophiles.

From what I read it has to do with the SDA tech, most audiophiles believe this creates a faux reproduction of the music and to them seems next to sacrilegious. Idk either you like the SDA sound or not. I personally love it but i'm also not an "audiophile" just a music lover who happens to buy lots of audio gear.

I don't think it was the tech or purity, no it was that Polk did not charge enough for them (I was on SSA when I got my first pair of SDA 2's in 1985), Polk made a really good speaker that a non-audiophile could afford.

You know for a fact that the more it cost the better it is. :smirk:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    Hi-fi for the lower class. B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2017
    kevinko wrote: »
    Hi-fi for the lower class. B)

Low-class hifi? I'm an expert on that topic.

13609594264_c76c978511_b.jpgboseflash by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

12180944206_b02b0b171d_b.jpg8trackin by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    As long as it sounds great, who cares. It's your prerogative if you want to spend your 401k on a system or piecemeal the same sound for pennies on the dollar.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    xschop wrote: »
    As long as it sounds great, who cares. It's your prerogative if you want to spend your 401k on a system or piecemeal the same sound for pennies on the dollar.

Truth xschop! Glad I only have to impress me these days. B)
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    At least mopeds have a weight limit, whereas
    some current SDAs tip the scales.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.