My dad is getting Direct TV, how is it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2011
    Options
    DIRECTV is great. Dumped overly expensive cable 8 years ago and have not looked back since.

To all you guys thinking DTV is expensive ask your local cable provider for a price. You will not switch back I would bet.

And they do offer 1080P but you need a 1080P reciever and it has to be connected via HDMI. 1080i has been around for a while with them.

You also have to select 1080P in the menu it won't switch automatically. I have seen it personally and it is just like a bluray.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    DIRECTV is great. Dumped overly expensive cable 8 years ago and have not looked back since.

To all you guys thinking DTV is expensive ask your local cable provider for a price. You will not switch back I would bet.

And they do offer 1080P but you need a 1080P reciever and it has to be connected via HDMI. 1080i has been around for a while with them.

You also have to select 1080P in the menu it won't switch automatically. I have seen it personally and it is just like a bluray.

Good lord, no they don't!

The only things they offer in 1080p are the things they control, such as pay per view movies, and as we learned yesterday, some on-demand content.

Broadcasters DO NOT broadcast in 1080p, and this is completely out of the control of DirecTV or any other satellite or cable provider.

You will likely never see full 1080p HD broadcast content, even from the major satellite/cable channels, such as ESPN.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I've looked into this also in my area, apparently Dave is right. Some content like pay per view, is 1080p, but regular broadcast is still 1080i. Shouldn't be a deal breaker by any means though.
    You don't need a 1080p receiver to get 1080p from a cable or Sat. service btw. You could just hook up straight to the tv and a digital cable to receiver for sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited March 2011
    Options
    There has been a reported HDMI handshake issue with Direct TV 3D and the Pioneer SC-37 recievers. Pioneer is not gooing to fix this until the release of a later model. This has been reported on the AVS Pioneer SC-37 forum.
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I've had DirecTV for at least 10 years now and love it. I've also got DISH at work (hate it) and had Comcast and Cox cable at various apartments. DirecTV is the way to go!
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • tonyb
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yeah, in sunny Dallas maybe, but here in Chicago, snow on a dish can be a real pain in the arse. Lots of folks here have a dish, don't know how they deal with snow, can't imagine climbing up on your roof, ice and all, to brush off a dish. Some do have them lower to the ground on a pole so that helps if you don't have tree's around anyway. I have far too many tree's close to the house so I'm pretty much stuck with comcast.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm very happy with both DirecTV's service and the quality of the picture.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Oh, interesting thread. Would be cool to get more channels, cheaper. My only concern, though...does DirecTV broadcast in 1080p? If they don't, definitely not interested.

:eek::tongue::biggrin:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Only for Pay-per-view channel movies can you get 1080p. I doubt regular broadcasting will ever go hgher than 1080i--with anyone. I have my DTV HD receiver output everything at 1080i, then my 1080p plasma does the de-interlacing; the picture is very, very good.

If you've ever seen the Mecum auto auctions on HD Theater (1080i) you'd be convinced that waiting for 1080p is a waste of time. It's incredible. It rivals any of the 67 BluRay movies I have in terms of picture quality. I have a 58" Panasonic plasma.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »

The only things they offer in 1080p are the things they control, such as pay per view movies, and as we learned yesterday, some on-demand content.

Broadcasters DO NOT broadcast in 1080p, and this is completely out of the control of DirecTV or any other satellite or cable provider.

You will likely never see full 1080p HD broadcast content, even from the major satellite/cable channels, such as ESPN.

EXACTLY. 1080p TV's can deinterlace with no problem, and 1080p uses too much bandwidth for any (nearly undetectable, if at all) increase in picture quality.

If I MUST see something in 1080p, I'll rent it (or buy it).
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Only for Pay-per-view channel movies can you get 1080p. I doubt regular broadcasting will ever go hgher than 1080i--with anyone. I have my DTV HD receiver output everything at 1080i, then my 1080p plasma does the de-interlacing; the picture is very, very good.

If you've ever seen the Mecum auto auctions on HD Theater (1080i) you'd be convinced that waiting for 1080p is a waste of time. It's incredible. It rivals any of the 67 BluRay movies I have in terms of picture quality. I have a 58" Panasonic plasma.

I'd agree with Steve. The picture looks great even in 1080i. Very happy with DirecTV so far. :smile:
  • Joe08867
    edited March 2011
    Options

I never heard an argument were broadcast and content were different. The do have 1080p. Does everything that is HD come in at 1080p? no, but they do offer content in 1080p. So yes they do offer 1080p. Am I missing something. in any case, HD still comes in at 1080i which for all intents and purposes is nearly identical. If you guys need to see CSI in 1080p than you have greater issues.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I never heard an argument were broadcast and content were different. The do have 1080p. Does everything that is HD come in at 1080p? no, but they do offer content in 1080p. So yes they do offer 1080p. Am I missing something. in any case, HD still comes in at 1080i which for all intents and purposes is nearly identical. If you guys need to see CSI in 1080p than you have greater issues.

As I said in the first post to this thread:
    Switched to DirecTV last summer and its fantastic. The deals they have been offering in this down economy made it an easy decision for me. I have their 2nd to top tier package and love it. Choosing a package depends on what you want, so only he has the answer.

The picture looks great (I have several 1080p TVs and a 1080p Projector on a 120" screen), but I believe the only 1080p content is the PPV movies, which I don't buy. I live in an area with lots of snow and rain storms and have not had a single outage problem with the dish, which was something I was concerned about.

As we learned, the only other content they have in 1080p is their on-demand stuff.

On-demand is not the same as regular broadcasts from network channels. When you tune in to a network, such as EPSN, Food Network, Discovery, or any other, it is not in 1080p.

It doesn't matter one wit to me that it's not, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone else.

All we are doing is clearing up the misconception that some here had that DirecTV or any other satellite/cable provider was providing 1080p BROADCASTS, because they're not (and can't).
  • DMara
    DMara Posts: 1,434
    edited March 2011
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yeah, in sunny Dallas maybe, but here in Chicago, snow on a dish can be a real pain in the arse. Lots of folks here have a dish, don't know how they deal with snow, can't imagine climbing up on your roof, ice and all, to brush off a dish. Some do have them lower to the ground on a pole so that helps if you don't have tree's around anyway. I have far too many tree's close to the house so I'm pretty much stuck with comcast.

Whenever there's a big rain storm, I also lose DirecTV signal. That's the major negative.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
  • Joe08867
    edited March 2011
    Options
    OK Demiurge, calm down, put the gun down and relax. :)

I got hung up on semantics. No big deal. They offer 1080i network broadcast and 1080p on demand content.

Actually if the networks provided 1080p content they could offer 1080p broadcast but it isn't available yet?
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    Options

I got hung up on semantics. No big deal. They offer 1080i network broadcast and 1080p on demand content.

Actually if the networks provided 1080p content they could offer 1080p broadcast but it isn't available yet?

The arsenal is safe under lock and fortified by concrete. :wink:

Here's a post from AVS on the explaining the matter:
    None of the linear HD channels broadcast in 1080p; they are all either 720p or 1080i. See this topic for more info on HD channels and resolutions: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=164671

At this time 1080p is limited to Blu-ray, select PPV movies from DirecTV and Dish Network, select gaming titles on PS3 & Xbox 360, and most recently online streaming video sources.

Due to technical limitations, don't expect to see 1080p broadcasts for quite some time, if ever. It's entirely possible some version of the next generation of video, Ultra HDTV aka Super Hi-Vision, will be available before 1080p. UHDTV has ~16 times the pixels of existing HDTV

I agree with you that it's not a big deal, however what is a big deal is the intentional confusion caused by the marketers of the technology that embraces HD 720p/1080i/1080p. They all mean something different, and people assume that because they hear that 1080p is the best and bought a 1080p TV, that they're getting that from their cable/internet company. In reality, they're mostly only getting it from Blu-Ray, PPV Movies/On-Demand Content, and some games.

The truth is that what you get from them via the broadcasters is below the capabilities of your equipment.
  • bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited March 2011
    Options
    And they all advertise HD content and the consumer thinks that the word HD means the best. Nothing is said about the resolution.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Technically speaking, 720p is high definiton.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bsoko2 wrote: »
    And they all advertise HD content and the consumer thinks that the word HD means the best. Nothing is said about the resolution.

I'd say most consumers don't know or care that there are at least 3 different "HD" resolutions. The vast majority certainly wouldn't notice.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tonyb
    edited March 2011
    Options

Don't sweat it, Dave never shot anyone with less than 1500 posts.

OOPS...1542, guess your sh$t out of luck. :biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Directv customer since 1997. Only something better would get me to change. Customer Service is excellent and US based. Their network of installers and repair technicians are compensated on customer sat. Always let you know when they are on their way and have always been on time. If this is what you want it is worth a few bucks more.

Picture quality is very good and their technology is always advancing.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Holy dead thread bump. 2011.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    How did that show up in Recents?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    How did that show up in Recents?

A spam post (deleted) revived it.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    Options
    I'll dissent. I switched to DTV from U-Verse due to pressure from ATT and a promise of "same service but almost $60/mo cheaper locked in for 2 years."

Ok sign me up.

That was a year ago. My bill has been outright wrong 5 times, i've been lied to with no recourse and it appears my bill will be within $20 of what i was paying for U Verse for the remainder. Customer service is atrocious. I gave up calling because it was costing more in time than the money amount they screw me out of.

Service is mediocre at best. My box appears to only be capable of 1080i, i am assured that this is normal. Storms (or a healthy sneeze) cause a loss of sat signal. "Rewind any channel" flat out doesnt work. I'm told this is my internet, despite having the fastest ATT offers here, and having no problem streaming 4k on my phone in my backyard. DirecTV box is 3" from the gateway.

The menus are slow to respond and positively baffling. The DVR is terrible. (Treats sporting events as individual series. Each event.)

So yeah. In my experience, DirecTV is easily the worst provider. I'm only in it for another 11 months on contract then i'm running as fast as i can. Truly horrible.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • tonyb
    edited May 2017
    Options
    As far as customer service goes, none of them can make the claim to great CS. My neighbor had DTV, he switched because the signal drop outs, while only a few seconds, became annoying....and too frequent. Winter time with ice and snow on the dish....yeah right.

I've had ATT Uverse, sucked....went back to Comcast. Yeah, you pay a bit more but the service is dependable, picture very good, wifi fast, library extensive. Better always costs more, right Tidal users ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    Options
    I liked U-Verse a lot, just didn't like the bill. Turns out now i know that that's just how much good service costs around here. Shopped Comcast and it would cost about the same.

DTV just isn't worth the $15/mo i'm saving. I should know better than contribute to the race to the bottom at this point in my life.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    20+ years of Dish Wouldn't change for nothing. It's either is a blizzard or a tornado before I have problems with signal. When it gets that bad I switch to my OTA antenna just for the weather updates get all local ABC,CBS, NBC and FOX channels from 100mi any direction 360 degrees. To be honest none of the cable or sat providers can touch the HD signal of over the air it is pure unmolested signal no compression artifacts with all the DD surround you need