I can read on other sites but I trust YOUR ears more... re. tubes

I picked up a rather inexpensive 12au7 headphone amplifier. I read the stock tube is a basic Chinese POS, I am wanting to upgrade to something that is warm with nice controlled bass. Any ideas on possible replacement 12au7s?

I read the Mullard's are a nice warm sounding tube but you will have more experience than I. Before I pull the trigger inform me, I am COMPLETELY new to the tube world and should be treated as if I know nothing.

Thanks in advance!
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    There are lots of good 12AU7/ECC82/5814 tubes out there.

If you do a search using heiney9 there is a ton of info I already posted.

I may have some for you as my collection is quite large and I am always paring down. You need a single or a pair?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    heiney9 wrote: »
    There are lots of good 12AU7/ECC82/5814 tubes out there.

If you do a search using heiney9 there is a ton of info I already posted.

I may have some for you as my collection is quite large and I am always paring down. You need a single or a pair?

H9

Single 12au7 tube for this amp.

I have read quite a bit on your tube posts. Sometimes I can follow along other times it is like reading when people are building crossovers ha! Too many euphemisms for me to catch up sometimes. I will take some time today to run over a couple articles of yours today @heiney9
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    CBS-Hytron 5814.