Picked up a different receiver finally!

codycatalist
codycatalist Posts: 2,662
edited May 2017 in Electronics
Wasn't digging my HK AV130. Good sound but not near enough power and no preouts. Was going through my local CL yesterday and came across a mint Marantz SR7000 for $40.

Drove out an hour, picked it up and loving the sound but best of all I can now use the preouts for when I get a 2 channel amp. Wish I could turn it up to really hear how it sounds but alas with a recent noise complaint I must be patient.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• codycatalist
    Thanks I thought it was a great deal.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2017
    I have a SR6003 that I used to use as a pre and tuner, did a good job, nice warm sound. That SR7000 will do the same and for 40 bucks how can you possibly go wrong.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • codycatalist
    That's what I was mostly after... that nice warm sound. I was tired of sterile sounding AVRs.

• codycatalist
    I checked at Ebay and they have two units for either $100 or $149 plus s/h. Looks like you got a good deal.

Yeah they don't go for too much but a good deal regardless. I feel I got a lot of sound for the money.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Nice score! Definitely a step up...

I like the sound of Marantz but I also really like the sound of that generation of HK receivers. You just have the entry machine. I owned an avr630 and an avr745 and those both were powerful, warm-sounding beasts that weighed well over 30 lbs. So don't judge all HKs by the one you had.

This would be a GREAT avr, includes HDMI 1.3 switching: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162518983094?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Nice score! Definitely a step up...

I like the sound of Marantz but I also really like the sound of that generation of HK receivers. You just have the entry machine. I owned an avr630 and an avr745 and those both were powerful, warm-sounding beasts that weighed well over 30 lbs. So don't judge all HKs by the one you had.

This would be a GREAT avr, includes HDMI 1.3 switching: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162518983094?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Beautiful piece.

I LOVED the sound of the HK but the power wasn't there because as you stated it was entry level (I purchased it for $20 at a savers) and it served me well.

Regardless of wattage it did have high current and you could hear the difference.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2017
    I forgot I also have a SR8200, thing is a tank. Bought it @ a garage sale and a pair of white van speakers came along with it. Speakers went in the trash. I paid all of $45.00 for it, didn't need it but couldn't pass it up....lol. I think it is rated 110w per channel.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My HK AVR is now a 30 lb boat anchor.
    Have you considered having the HK repaired? It might cost le$$ than a new receiver or, at the very least, similar cost with better sound.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • codycatalist
    I forgot I also have a SR8200, thing is a tank. Bought it @ a garage sale and a pair of white van speakers came along with it. Speakers went in the trash. I paid all of $45.00 for it, didn't need it but couldn't pass it up....lol. I think it is rated 110w per channel.

Yeah I mean I love the sound, I love the athsetics of the face plate. I am leaning towards a Parasound 750a eventually which will match up nicely.

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Not sure the 750 will have enough juice to open up those 2Bs.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Go ahead and crank it up and if the cops show up tell them "It's cleaner power so I didn't think it was making as much noise" and throw in a "sorry."
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Heck yeah, man...pack that stuff up and come on over! My house is as loud as you can stand it.
  • codycatalist
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Heck yeah, man...pack that stuff up and come on over! My house is as loud as you can stand it.

Well if you say so... >:)>:)>:)

• codycatalist
    Now don't kill me for considering this but I have a radio shack mpa200 I can pick up for $50. This would simply be a temporary piece but think it'd be worth it?

• codycatalist
    It's a Craigslist deal so I doubt it. I'll sit on it for a little, if it gets sold it gets sold I'm not too worried. Just trying to take the strain of the load off my receiver so I can have it focus on powering the center.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    HK (Heckler and Koch) makes much better guns than AVRs. They are a great bang for the buck brand and their guns actually sound louder than their AVRs.

I am starting to like you