Kef LS 50 Wireless

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Thanks all. I appreciate it. It was a nice time and Tallahassee had beautiful weather on Saturday.

The ls50 are not broken in yet but I got to play with them a little bit today. They shoot a nice wide soundstage. So far im not missing the tubes. My sacdplayer and phono preamp are tube but I haven't hooked them.up just yet. I do like you can change your settings on the fly. They are not the best speakers I have owned but in this room they have had the best sound to date! I haven't even played around too much with placement yet. I plopped them down where I thought they might look ok.

I need to figure out wires and do a bit of cable management since its all torn apart. They look better in person vs a pic but here you go on thr kef stand. crd2u1x7t9zj.jpg
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Those stands look great . Will you be using a sub with the KEFs ?
  • erniejade
    The sub is actually behind it in the pic. Im using the old velodyne spl1200. I have had this sub for quite some time and had it recapped about 5-6 years ago. It's a fast, tight, sealed box. >:) that is musical sounding, not just a thud.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    I almost forgot, for the feet on the stands, they only come with spikes and no disks for hardwood. I used some Herbies Threaded Stud Glider on them.
  • erniejade
    edited April 2017
    Agreed that is a great review. I like how he also admits his mistake with the settings and how big of a difference the stand to table settings make. I am surprised he said he only used the settings on the back and not the settings within the app. You can fine tune it more with the app including the mid bass hump he said he missed a little.
  • erniejade
    I forgot to add, I needed longer power cords so I talked to Patrick Cullen and the new cords will be delivered Saturday. I was already using an after market power cord but, needed longer for the right side and I wanted them to match so, I'm replacing both.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    How do you like the Cullen Cables? I've been debating giving a couple a go in my loft rig perhaps (cause I dont need as many up there, and my HT is already pretty well decked out in PS Audio AC-3's lol)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • erniejade
    They should be here today. I do have a Cullen digital cable and it sounds wonderful.
  • erniejade
    He recommended me going with his mid line but instead of 10 gauge using 12 to not stress the ends since they hang in the air. I was using a wireworld Electra on one and a 15-20 year old monster on the other since I did not have a matching cable long enough. Construction is excellent and whatever he used for the connector going into the speakers had a better grip over the wireworld and minster.

Letting them burn in now. Now I just need to figure out how to either pin up the rca cables or make them a bit cleaner looking. I keep switching off between the lumin direct to the speaker or the vi dac to the speakers.

I finally tried out the USB from the laptop to the speakers built in dac. I was impressed! It actually had more bass but, sounded a bit analytical vs the lumin and the sound stage on the lumin was wider and a bit more natural sounding.

I am still digging the speakers!
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Is the active LS-50 Roon Ready?
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • erniejade
    Not yet but its supposed to be working on that, tidal, and mqa.

My lumin d1 is roon ready though.
  • Big KEF wireless firmware update Monday. :)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Would someone please give a shout if the firmware update includes RoonReady?
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vcwatkins wrote: »
    Would someone please give a shout if the firmware update includes RoonReady?

From what I've read, it's mostly about support for Tidal. Roon is in the plans, but who knows when.
  • erniejade
    I read the same thing. Tidal and supposedly firmware to stop the skipping on the app. I hope they make it so you can change the settinga on other things then wireless. From what I read roon should be next month or so.
  • erniejade wrote: »
    I read the same thing. Tidal and supposedly firmware to stop the skipping on the app. I hope they make it so you can change the settinga on other things then wireless. From what I read roon should be next month or so.

Still happy with them ?

• erniejade
    No regrets at all. They do a lot of things well and have broken in nicely!
  • It's up

1. Support ALAC format
    2. Fixed Volume Control over App issue
    3. Fixed Wi-Fi network memory occasionally lost after system restarting
    4. Fixed potential left speaker no output issue
    5. Other bug fixes and improvements 1.1.0.0
  • erniejade
    Sweet I will need to check it when I get home tonight. Did you have to do anything or did the app update itself or push firmware to the speakers?
  • If you're asking me, I don't own a pair, only demoed them for a few days and was really impressed so they still are being considered.
  • erniejade
    OOO I thought you picked them up. Sorry about that. The app did not update and I checked for updates but I didn't find anything. Maybe they didn't release it just yet.
  • erniejade
    Do not do the firmware update. A few are having issues with the new firmware. The app update adds tidal and is ok but the firmware hold off.

I haven't updated the firmware but I have been reading about others who have and the issues they are having.

Beyond that, I am still digging them. I don't feel a need to change.
  • erniejade
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=inZQKHqayow&feature=share

A nice little shout out to the ls50 wireless and in some cases why a powered speaker works.

I can say. Even if they were not in my bad sounding room, this speaker would still be in my recommend list.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I picked up a pair of LS50 Wireless a couple days ago and am really liking them, I hate to say it but these may displace the Harbeth. Deciding on the sound between the two is a bit of a push IMO, the KEF is a better all-rounder but the Harbeth are better for certain types of music and sound better overall at lower volumes. Tonally they are very similar in my room, I'm surprised at how similar they sound.

Where the KEF are winning me over is the simplicity, I plug them into the wall and dial in the DSP to match my placement and I'm good to go. I'm tight on space and the ability to eliminate an entire rack of audio gear and a mess of cables is a big plus for me.
  • erniejade
    @AsSiMiLaTeD Make sure they have the newer firmware on them. Are you using them actually wireless or USB, RCA, optical? Do you have a powered sub on them?

I have tried them in several configurations. The laptop usb to the speaker sounded better then wireless from my NAS. My Lumin D1 rca out to the KEF also sounds darn good! I prefer the Lumin on them vs the laptop usb however, the tonality of both are extreme opposite. The D1 is warmer almost like a mulard tube bloom where the usb is a little more top end.

I also have a Schiit SYS hooked up. "SYS stands for "switch your, er...schtuff." Sys is a simple, 2-input passive preamp. No electronics. No power. No distortion. Just a 2-way switch and a potentiometer." (Taken from their site.) With this, I can have my turntable hooked up to my Jolida D9 tube per to the SYS, to the speaker OR, the Lumin to the speaker both using the RCA input. I will say I cannot hear the difference with the SYS in the system and without it in the system so it is NOT adding any noise or anything. The KEF's do show the sound difference between different types of sources.

They are a well rounded speaker that do everything I have thrown at them well. Easy to listen to for hours without getting listener fatigue.

I am over a year on mine. I know a lot of people say this but, they do perform WAY above their price point especially if you have a powered sub on them. A powered sub brought them to a totally different level and the built in crossover on the App works fantastic. They work extremely well in difficult sounding rooms, Not a lot of mess, simple, plenty of power, very good sounding, sold my amp, preamp, speakers, speaker cables and I have NOT had a desire to go back to that route.

In short, I am glad you are digging them!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I’ll have to check the firmware version. The funny thing is I haven’t tried wireless yet and doubt I’ll use it, I’m running USB out of the computer. I’m running a REL T5i on them, it makes for a superb sounding setup.
  • erniejade
    Rel would be an outstanding match for them. Fast clean sub. Nice choice. If your running them USB, the firmware is not as important EXCEPT for when they loose power, you have to reset all of your settings including re-adding it back to wifi. The new firmware fixes this. In the app, you can check the speaker firmware.