Just another noob question or 2...

A couple months ago I purchased a Sony STRDH-770. Then a couple weeks ago I bought a pair of rtia7's and a tsx250c. I've been thinking of buying the NAD t758 or 748. My question(s) is.
Would an NAD improve sound quality at lower-moderate listening levels? I think it sounds really good the way it is now. The only time I know for sure it sounds horrible is when I really turn it up.
Also another ?...If I were to buy a different receiver with pre-outs, then purchase a nice amp. Does the receiver still work all the surround sound settings, and HDMI inputs for home theater? I need something for both HT, music...

The last time I had anything nice was back in the early 90's I had a pair of monitor Polks with an NAD integrated amp. So I'm a little out of the game, for how things work now.

Comments

• SUbears
    SUbears Posts: 29
    I just realized I accidentally posted this in For Sale. How do I repost this where it belongs?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If you add an amp to an AVR, the amp will supply the power to the speakers instead of the AVR. The AVR will do all the processing.

Good, clean, high current will sound better at lower volumes, as well as allow you to play louder, if you desire.

Your speakers sound horrible at high volumes, because they are telling you your AVR isn't capable of driving those speakers that loud. That's the sound you hear when you enter the area of clipping. Your warning that you are about to smoke your speakers.
  • SUbears
    Thank you for the info.
  • SUbears
    So you're saying I shouldn't have to turn it up to 55-60 in order to be loud, while still sounding fine...?

Where are new questions supposed to be listed under?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Basic hook up and wiring would be the best place to ask your questions.

The A7's can be a difficult load for entry level/lower end AVR's to drive.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Well it looks like the sony is about 75wpc. If you are running it in multi channel the power could be considerably less. Might be in the neighborhood of 45wpc. The NAD will be a little better but you are comparing a $300 receiver to a $1200 receiver i would expect the NAD to have a little more headroom. If you get one with pre outs it will give you more latitude down the road with power amps. When you use a power amp the receiver will power the channels that the power amp does not.
  • SUbears
    Thank you everyone, I had no idea how that worked, with an amp hooked to pre-outs.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have the NAD T-758 and I use to have some RTiA7's but I have since sold the A7's and upgraded to the 705's.

I think the NAD is one of the better sounding AVR's for Music but not in same league as my 2 channel setup but a very good music AVR, but it lacks many bells & whistles other AVR have. And I think that is why it is more musical to me.

the T-758 has preouts so you can add a amplifier to run the 2 front speakers - this is what I do as I use a 150 wpc vincent amplifier to power the front 2 speakers and the NAD powers only the center channel and my 2 surround speakers.

I admit when I listen to music I use a 2 channel only system and only use the NAD for movies or blu-ray concerts.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • SUbears
    edited May 2017
    So whatever channels I don't hook to an external amplifier, will still control the remaining speakers...? I just figured that once you plug into the pre-outs, its cut off the receiver, and would only be able to go 2-channel.
    So what'd be the best receiver with pre-outs that has HDMI also? Without spending $8-900...so that I could still afford a $3-400 2-channel amp.

If budget was $1000 +/- $200 what would be good?
    Thank you everyone, for the info. The more I read from all of ya's the more I'm understanding all this.
  • SUbears
    edited May 2017
    Another question lol
    What does it mean by just using pure direct on my Sony? Does it redirect more power into 2-channel? Or is it just cutting off the remaining channels?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited May 2017
    SUbears wrote: »
    Another question lol
    What does it mean by just using pure direct on my Sony? Does it redirect more power into 2-channel? Or is it just cutting off the remaining channels?

Pure direct bypasses all internal tone and video controls in most cases.
    Yes when you use the main front L&R pre outs all other channels are still powered by the receivers internal power supply. Taking the load off the two biggest consumers of the power supply theoretically should leave more for the remaining channels.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Another question lol

it should mean that cuts out all eq, bass management, and video circuitry to give you the purest two channel signal that avr can provide. Some AVRs do this better than others imho...

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • SUbears
    Thank you everyone!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I'm pretty happy with my Marantz/Parasound combo in my HT and I think it would mate well with the RTiA7's.

There are various models of Marantz AVR's. I chose the SR7008, but only because it had a specific feature that I needed. I'm there are other options that are less expensive that would work just as well.

Find a Parasound 750 or similar. Unbelievable bang for the buck in my opinion.

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    but yes you can use a set of analog cables hooked to the preouts of the AVR for the front left & front right speakers sent to a 2 channel amplifier and then the AVR will only power the other speakers.

so the speaker cables for the front speakers plug into the external amp and not the AVR and the other speakers cables hook up to the AVR.

This way the AVR has extra power for the rest of the speakers.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited May 2017
    This would be my choice for a receiver: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5011/marantz-sr5011-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

And something like this for the amp: www.ebay.com/itm/B-K-Components-Ltd-ST-1400-Series-II-Vintage-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-Mint-Mint-/132196822772?hash=item1ec78b6ef4:g:-9EAAOSw-3FZHftA
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • SUbears
    Wow, that's a good deal on that Marantz. I'll check out prices on the Parasound.
  • SUbears
    Damn, the Parasound is a lil pricey lol

What's everyone's opinion on the Emotiva?
  • PSOVLSK
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Damn, the Parasound is a lil pricey lol

What's everyone's opinion on the Emotiva?

Not a good match with the RTi A speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Yeah, I'll have to agree to that one.

A good 2 channel amp pairing for those speakers would be a Carver M4.0t, provided you got a pre-pro with gain adjustable pre-outs for the amp/mains.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Oh, my manners, welcome to the Polk forum SUbears!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • PSOVLSK
    lightman1 wrote: »

Somewhere in that stash of gear :p;)
  • PSOVLSK
    Here's your next AVR. I forgot about this one being for sale or I would have already recommended it. I had one like it at one time and it's a great unit. Seller is a little sketchy though :p

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174834/pioneer-elite-sc-63-receiver-400#latest
  • SUbears
    Thank you again guys! Thank you Tom, glad to find this forum. That accessories 4 less has really good deals. The Denon X3300 comes with a 3 year warranty, which is always good to have.
    That Pioneer is a really nice AVR also...I'll definitely keep it mind.
    Have you guys had good luck with buying components from eBay?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Ebay ? Some have, some haven't. Personally I stay away from it for used audio as some like to use it as a dumping ground for gear with issues. Many other sites are more reliable like Audiogon, US Audiomart, Hifi shark.....or right here.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SUbears
    Any thoughts on a used Denon 3310ci for $250 or b.o. on Craigslist? I'm really worried about possibly being screwed over that much $. It looks like it's in good condition, but the outside never tells the entire story.
    My 2 month old Sony is now failing to go into Pure Direct/Direct. There's now sound coming out of my center channel as well, until I shut it off and turn it back on.
    Then again it could be a steal, and use it for the pre-outs so I could then get a Parasound amp.
    I know, usually if it's too good to be true, it usually is. I guess I'm just impatient, and really interested in hearing my speakers perform to the fullest.
    Smart choice would probably be to just wait longer, save more $, buy new...
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Smart choice would probably be to just wait longer, save more $, buy new...

I think this would be your best bet if you can, It's what I'd do.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • SUbears
    So come to find out the Sony strdh770 wasn't going bad on me. I listen to FLAC files through my 1TB hdd plugged into a new Samsung K8500 bluray player. For some reason it would switch to multi channel.
    Well, figuring the Sony was dying on me, I bought a new Marantz nr-1607. Bought it for the Pre-outs and because I was DONE with Sony. Well today, I about had a heart attack, because my Marantz did the exact same thing the Sony did, (started getting sound out of my center along with my towers) (during Pure direct/Direct).
    After messing with audio setting on the bluray player, I selected bitstream(uncompressed) instead of PCM. It has fixed that issue.

Any thoughts on which Parasound is better pushing Rtia7's....The 275, 2125 v2, or even the zamp v3? Would that Parasound zamp.v3 be much of an upgrade over the Marantz?