Is it just me or is the community shrinking?

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have been doing Sonos professionally since 2006. I've owned it many years. I don't recall when I got my first one but it's been a long time.
    Recently my company ( Stone Glidden) has made some moves to add HEOS to our line up and move slightly away from Sonos for many reasons. Integration is one of the biggest reasons.
    HEOS has the ability to play and stream High rez files but unfortunately I don't believe more then maybe 5 of our clients will care at all about that. I have one here and the house. I have not switched over to all HEOS as I keep thinking about the importance of high rez around my house. I don't have audiophile grade speakers everywhere and where I do I have High rez abilities.
    In wall , In ceiling and Outdoor speakers maybe warrant the use of High rez files as I have been to busy to add the HEOS into my house system and try it out to see if there is any benefits to doing so.

My point is it's a streaming lower rez world in general and it's really been that way for the 20 years I've been in the business. Yes it seems to have changed as I stated earlier but the more I think about it the more I realize how much generally speaking people don't care about it. Look at SACD and DVD AUDIO. Both formats flopped badly for the general public and that was back when having disc's was cool and the thing to do. Even then the general interest as just not there.

It's so funny how people put quality on the back burner for so many things but a few they feel is important to them. Sound quality I don't think ever was more important.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Almost 6 years for me. I come and go, but its a nice place to shoot the **** and learn a thing or two. Most are nice and upstanding fellows :)
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2017
    We're all still here we have just grown to lazy to type.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Do women know about the shrinkage factor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG2dF5PS0bI
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Do women know about the shrinkage factor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG2dF5PS0bI

I was in the pool!!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Words from the wise,"There is no single answer to your questions, but everything runs hand in hand." Thanks Tony...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    zuul wrote: »
    i just replied to this post at length and in detail and after i made an edit it disappeared. this keeps happening to my posts. at least the last 3 or 4. it's obviously a bug no one is interested in tracking down and fixing.

it's really frustrating to spend ten or fifteen minutes crafting a thoughtful response, trying to participate and then *poof* it's gone. it's part of the reason i don't post here much anymore.

It's about time you came back.
    Your first mistake was trying to craft a thoughtful response.......
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello zuul,
    Your post was sequestered in a "spam queue" for some reason, however I've made sure it won't happen again.
    Cheers, Ken
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    If I am taking the time to write a long message, I do so in a word processor. That way, I won't lose a response due to a forum failure.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Part of the problem with being a high end audiophile today is the large number of competing brands. This leads to small production runs. Finding a used item that was in scarce supply brand new is hit or miss. I checked for amps and pre-amps at Ebay and they have a good supply of Parasound. Parasound has larger production runs and thus there is more used product available. The prices also reflect small production runs. They must cover overhead, R&D, and marketing with those small production runs.

I would actually disagree and say that because of the glut of choices for high end, the used market favors the 2nd buyer.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited May 2017
    Age/income/location have a lot to do with hobbies, and how scarce stuff is to find.

I have no true idea of the age makeup of the forum, but thinking it tends towards older males for the most part.

People in their 20's and 30's generally do not have a lot of interest in audio components and speakers. Some do, but they are the exception, such as me, 30's for a bit more.

My father summed it up, saying how his father was all into Ham radios, and fixing up old time cars to make them look like racing cars. Another era.
  • Joey_V
    K_M wrote: »
    Age/income/location have a lot to do with hobbies, and how scarce stuff is to find.

I have no true idea of the age makeup of the forum, but thinking it tends towards older males for the most part.

People in their 20's and 30's generally have not a lot of interest in audio components and speakers.

My father summed it up, saying how his father was all into Ham radios, and fixing up old time cars to make them look like racing cars. Another era.

You have a point. Last time I met with some high end audiophiles, they looked at me and my buddy like we were from another country. Then they finally popped the question - how old are you two?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    ROTLOL! That's hysterical Joey.

Having good audio is an expensive proposition, and your recent college grads are already several thousands of dollars in debt, and just trying to get a job, then when they do, their salaries are so low they need a second one to make ends meet.

All they can afford are their Iphones, and some earbuds, but it still allows them to rock out, so they are happy and are able to focus on more important matters.

By the time they are ready to upgrade, there will be ton of gear on the used market that all us baby boomers are getting rid of as we downsize our living spaces.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Joey_V wrote: »

People in their 20's and 30's generally have not a lot of interest in audio components and speakers.

Then they finally popped the question - how old are you two?

The lack of body hair probably posed that question ..
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675

You have a point. Last time I met with some high end audiophiles, they looked at me and my buddy like we were from another country. Then they finally popped the question - how old are you two?

Love it!

My experience was a little different. Now, my nationality is from another country. Gawd. I played my Viet music and didn't hear the end of it for a couple years. Mountain Goat music. Hahaha. This was among friends I made here.

Second time. We are just too damn busy. Was the response. That was so funny. Bottom lline. Going to a nice place, people shouldn't judge, preconceived notions... Oh the snobbery.

Halen
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    If you play your favorite B. Spears song... Hit me baby one more time... haha

halen
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Part of the problem with being a high end audiophile today is the large number of competing brands. This leads to small production runs. Finding a used item that was in scarce supply brand new is hit or miss. I checked for amps and pre-amps at Ebay and they have a good supply of Parasound. Parasound has larger production runs and thus there is more used product available. The prices also reflect small production runs. They must cover overhead, R&D, and marketing with those small production runs.

I would actually disagree and say that because of the glut of choices for high end, the used market favors the 2nd buyer.

heh - like the second mouse gettin' the cheese ;)
  • Joey_V
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

heh - like the second mouse gettin' the cheese ;)

Like they said on War Dogs.

I feed on the crumbs.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    That pie is certainly bigger, your assertion about what's popular changes also carries a lot of water. This circles back to my observation that most would rather surf Facebook for an hour than listen to music.

That's a gimme though, popularity of anything changes, up/down obsolete. We live in a techy world, and 2 channel isn't all that techy. Some are more fascinated by the technology rather than the sound. I'm reminded of this every time I watch a Star wars movie. Tech up the wazoo, but they live in huts.....can't get a good picture either on their 3d communications and the sound is horrible.

Again, different strokes and all that. Most in the hobby of quality audio base opinions on one thing and one thing only.....the sound. Doesn't matter the tech inside, nor does it matter the science behind it, for or against, only that it sounds good to you the end user. Doesn't matter the cost either, many budget components punch well above what they have a right to. Many more costly options sometimes don't perform up to expectations too.

Audio is like a field full of landmines, everyone finds their own path through it. Some take a hit along the way, some navigate it with the help of others who made it through. Can't speak for anyone else, but I've always preferred to have help navigating that field to avoid the landmines, save some coin, and have a more pleasurable listening experience.

Popularity comes and goes, but quality anything is almost always sought after. That's why people are investing in LP's again, why Honda and Toyota beat up the U.S. carmakers, why a quality appliance is worth it's weight in gold, why a quality cable service/music service is worth more. That's the beauty of freedom and free markets, products for every taste and wallet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    It's probably partially our fault that the brick and mortars are slowly disappearing.

I'm sure my going to audiogon to rely on 80% of my system does not help either.

Although you can make an argument that the buyers of new components rely on audiogon to know that there is a second hand market for their new goods, thereby allowing them to purchase said new goods.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    The local CL market has really gone downhill in the last 3-4 years here in Indy, which is why i've stopped rotating a bunch of gear through my setup (and posting, really... not changing anything means i don't have much to talk about). I don't know if it's a decrease in "inventory," or just more people trying hard to jump on deals that i can't compete/don't see the good deals anymore.

Of course, i say this a couple days after i snagged some RT16s, but i've been looking for a pair of RTA11TL, RTA15TL, or LS90s on and off for a year or so now. 11TLs used to be common locally. Haven't seen a set in forever.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471

Then they finally popped the question - how old are you two?

The lack of body hair probably posed that question ..

But the shorts should have given him an in. :p
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Maybe everyone else got bigger and you stayed the same size?
  • I don't think its dying out, or shrinking. I know for me its a financial thing, and the vintage gear is going out of my reach for sure. I had no idea this hobby even existed until I was given my grandfathers TT, CD player and receiver which led me to a used record store. There sat a beautiful LR-9090 Lafayette receiver for 75.00 and I was hooked from that point on. My long winded point is this, people my age 47, just don't know about this stuff or care to know they know there phone plays music and syncs to the car stereo and there finished at that point. I introduce as many people as I can to this great hobby and have gave receivers and speakers to my sons friends in hopes that when they get older they will want more than just a IPhone or IPOD and a blue tooth speaker. I will say this, sample new versus vintage BEFORE you spend the hard earned cash if you can. For me I tried both and vintage is my true passion in the audio world, I know there is better sounding better built equipment but I enjoy everything about the old gear, right down to the smell. Yup my wife thinks I'm nuts.
    Bob.
  • Yesterday, I was ripping the 2CELLOS In2ition CD to JRiver to hear Sky Ferreira's "Bang Bang" that I learned about in another thread here.

My 27 year-old nephew asked "what are you doing?". I replied "ripping a CD".

He said, "no one does that anymore".
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    heh, some of us still rip analog...

10869455273_a21394cddb_b.jpgdubbin081212 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Yesterday, I was ripping the 2CELLOS In2ition CD to JRiver to hear Sky Ferreira's "Bang Bang" that I learned about in another thread here.

My 27 year-old nephew asked "what are you doing?". I replied "ripping a CD".

He said, "no one does that anymore".

@BlueBirdMusic,

What did you think of "Bang Bang?"
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.