Tom's Picks - New music finds.....

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
Hello all and good Sunday afternoon to you. Happy Mother's Day the lovely Mom's out there on this forum!

I have come across some great tunes in my time and instead of talking about gear, what's sad or getting into another cable debate? I'd like to start a discussion about the one thing we all have in common, whether you are on this forum or not. The music.

I have two albums I have ran across as of late that I would like to introduce to all of you out there.

The first is an album I heard (a couple of tracks) first from an Italian lady I met at LSAF this past weekend. Her name is Jessica A. M. Hazewinkle and she is the representative from North Star Audio design of which our very own forum member, DSkip has risen through the ranks to now be a US distributor for. (Congrat's Skip!)

Anyhoo, I had the pleasure to sit down with her and listen to some songs on an album which I am going to share with you now. EXCELLENT recording. The sound in the JWM room went from absolute nothing to her performing in front of you. Now that I am home, I'm listening to her album in it's entirety on Tidal and I'm really digging what I hear. Just some great tunes...

81rZ-WH0NSL._SX522_.jpg

Apparently, this lady died at the age of 33. What a shame as I really do enjoy her music. I would suggest you try her out. This is a LIVE album and if you like female voices, this will be right up your alley. She does a lot of cover songs (if not all cover songs) on this album, some of which I would consider better than the original. Something I rarely, if ever, say.

The second album I would like to throw your way is something I threw out there on some thread a couple of weeks back. I got no feedback on this one....of which I was surprised....unless one listened to it on their computer speakers. This album begs to be listened too on your big boy rig because it is a full range album. F1nut's system would have you throwing up outside from disorientation it digs so low.

a0504107124_10.jpg[IMG][/img]

Yet another excellently recorded album. I first discovered this album via a song my buddy Jerry down in Hotlanta (Jerry12 here, I believe…..unfortunately he never posts here or anywhere anymore) turned me onto. He told me to look him up. While admittedly, I didn’t want too because of the strange to me name and complete unfamiliarity with said musician. Since I have Tidal now, I figured what the heck, right?

I was blown away and I am (as of late) yearning to listen to his exotic, weird, non-normal, strange, Pink Floyd on acid type music as if it were normally playing as a top 10 hit on the radio. Trust me. Just play the first 3 songs of this album on your big boy rig and if it’s your style of music? You’ll be hooked as I have been. I am really digging this one too. So much so that I bought the CD and will probably purchase the best sounding LP or release he has with this album.

Just keep in mind that it’s most likely (within a probable 99% certain percentile) music that you have NEVER listened too before. It’s fresh, new and totally out of the box. YMMV but to me? It’s completely different from anything I have ever heard before.

I invite you to check them both out. From time to time, I’ll be introducing more musical selections that I run across. Thanks for reading and have a great rest of the weekend!

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to check these out tonight after dinner.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Yes on Eva. Been listening to her for a while now and have 2 of her albums including the live at Blues Alley. Cancer took her life at such an early age.
    Thanks for sharing the music. I'll have to look into the other artist. Always good to check out new directions.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • treitz3
    Mark, I wasn't gonna comment about crying but you brought one song to mind. "Jacob's Dream" by Alison Krauss. I'll try to upload the song here off of You-tube but no promises as I can be computer stupid from time to time, although I am getting better. Hopefully this works....

https://youtu.be/TwaZXUlFsyo

Listen to the words and tell me you don't get choked up in the throat. This one hit me hard when I first listened to it.

FWIW, I also use this song as a reference song. If Allison sounds bright, shrill or annoying on your rig? You honestly have something to improve. She should sound delightful on this song and you *should* have goose bumps throughout most of it while the song is playing. This (to me) is the difference between a good great system and a stellar system. This song in particular will let you know in a heartbeat.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2017
    I will listen to it (not right now, though ;)).
    Alison Krauss' is indeed the ideal voice to test for shrillness. A listen to Ghost in this House (another fine and affecting song) on the Alison Krauss and Union Station "Live" album, will reveal instantly why friends don't let friends buy Klipsch "heritage" loudspeakers ;)

The Duplexes keep her sounding sweet.

Come to think of it, I haven't played any of her music on the Frankenaltecs -- yet.

Sorry for this aside! ;)

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Tom---Congrats on discovering Eva. A Nightingale taking from the earth to soon. Been a fan for years.

Another song that grabs ya' :'( , but very well done even on Tidal is:
    Mercy Now--- Mary Gauthier

https://youtu.be/IT7NiFpJmvI
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I discovered Eva Cassidy on Pandora several years ago and was saddened when I went to look her up only to find she had passed away from cancer, iirc. What a wonderful voice. Like where this thread is heading...always looking for new music. Found some at LSAF. Need more.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2017
    This probably doesn't count as "new" music -- but it did just* come out... and it is the first time I've ever "pre-ordered" a recording (yes, I tend to be a late adopter), and it is pretty darned dandy sounding, not to mention borderline legendary... so I'll succumb to the temptation to mention it here :)

Cornell-CD-Cover-980x980.jpg

Boy I'm sure digging Eva Cassidy. Wow what a beautiful voice.
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    edited May 2017
    Check this out. The song "13" is my favourite but they are all pretty cool

xkfrg32jf1jc.jpg
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • Legender
    edited May 2017
    For those of you who like Eva, might want to look up Katie Melua. A singer from Britain who idolized Eva and wrote a song about her after her death 'Faraway Voice'.
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mikeyb128
    Legender wrote: »
    For those of you who like Eva, might want to look up Katie Melua. A singer from Britain who idolized Eva and wrote a song about her after her death 'Faraway Voice'.

Katie has a great voice. And she's a babe so that's a bonus.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Tom, I added the Yosi Horikawa Vapor album to my Tidal from the other thread and meant to post back. I like this stuff. I haven't had a chance yet to use my main system, though I can't quite classify it as bigboy until I get the 2.3TLs in operation, but it should still be better than headphones. I liked what I've heard so far. Will post back when I've had a truer experience with it.

Good thread. Gonna check out some of this chick singer stuff. It does nice things on enjoyable systems.
    I disabled signatures.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2017
    Eva is great! I found her from a forum member on here and her voice is soo smooth.

This guy is pretty good too, Motohiro Hata

https://youtu.be/rXxAkfftLEE
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Legender
    Another favorite is Nils Lofgren... nice acoustic version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_B1AB9nu8
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    While I had never heard of Eva, I bought 2 of her CDs and ripped them to my Jazz folder and playlist. Now the CDs are in my car.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Tom, I queued up Vapor on the main system. Those opening lows... niiice.

I listen to soma.fm's Groove Salad station a good bit these days, headphones and just for general relaxing background listening. I just heard a track group called Ascendant. I hear lots of good electronic/downtempo/chill stuff on this station, and try to donate a time or two a year. I went looking for the Ascendant stuff this morning, and seems only some of it's on Tidal, and there are a few different artists with this name, apparently. Anyway, found their Bandcamp page. Pretty cool you can buy directly from the artist and get .flac downloads of their albums if you don't want physical discs.

Check out this album, Outlets of the Sky. Just now giving the full album a listen. First two tracks so far are good.
    https://ambientascendant.bandcamp.com/album/outlets-of-the-skywdxcu3hu7vxa.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    Another favorite is Nils Lofgren... nice acoustic version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_B1AB9nu8

Great album! It's in regular rotation as the years go by. If you like that one, check out "Friday Night in San Francisco", which is a 1981 live album by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía. On a great system, they are performing in front of you and the imaging is top notch. Top notch. You can tell exactly where each of them are up on stage before you and it's just a fun performance to listen too. You can tell they were up on stage just having a blast.

51ASPLKf47L.jpg

Tom

• mikeyb128
    x7fumumldpji.jpg

I'm really enjoying this album, and it sounds really good. Pretty sure I've listened to stars 10 times today, going on 11.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mhardy6647
    So -- this isn't exactly new, but it was new to me. I heard it Friday courtesy of a hifi buddy who stopped by to demo some EV "Wolverine" LT-12 coaxes (and, graciously, to take a couple of very surplus vented cabinets for same home with him!). He brought a little digital player full of stuff that he was very familiar with to listen to. I heard this song and was mesmerized by it.

https://youtu.be/5PuWZKc83to

PS My friend left the house thinking Altec thoughts after listening to the Frankenaltecs. Mission accomplished :)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892

Here is Katie rocking a bikini

z61dhducjuuf.jpg

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    edited May 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So -- this isn't exactly new, but it was new to me. I heard it Friday courtesy of a hifi buddy who stopped by to demo some EV "Wolverine" LT-12 coaxes (and, graciously, to take a couple of very surplus vented cabinets for same home with him!). He brought a little digital player full of stuff that he was very familiar with to listen to. I heard this song and was mesmerized by it.

PS My friend left the house thinking Altec thoughts after listening to the Frankenaltecs. Mission accomplished :)

Great song for sure! I also really enjoy "Brand New Colony" from the same album.
    Post edited by HzTweaker on
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • mikeyb128
    edited May 2017
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Great song for sure! I also really enjoy "Brand New Colony" from the same album.

If you enjoy the postal service, check out these
    Albums by death cab for cutie (same singer as postal service).

11ftxau2rgdi.jpg
    Little wanderer and you've haunted me all my life, I just can't get enough of.

f5xhl86ookjq.png

2 channel:
    Theater:

• treitz3
    Here's another one I have recently discovered. It'll bring you back to the days of ol' and is brought tou by the man commonly referred too as the "King of Soul".

Sam Cooke, from the album, "Ain't That Good News". This is not the greatest of recordings due to the age of the album but it's no slouch either. Better than some stuff put out today and on another planet from any one of Adele's album's.

61ufJeYHPHL._SL1200_.jpg

This album is great for a Saturday GTG with friends. If you have never been exposed to Sam Cooke, I'll invite you to check him out. Been digging him when I can lately...

Tom
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    No stranger to Sam.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have Several of Sam's music on my mini/dac's HD B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • treitz3
    Okay, this next one I was turned onto by a friend of mine. He loved this band and I have really enjoyed this album over the years. It may be new to some of you, others may also have this album in regular rotation.

It definitely gets regular rotation in my rig. Great recording.

MI0001698300.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

If you have never heard this album before, go to Amazon right now and buy it. You will NOT be sorry. It's an album that simply has great, well recorded music.

You can thank me later...

If you want to sample the music, check out the link below and scroll down. I think you may be hooked already by the time you listen to the sample from song 1. Keep in mind that the samples provided on the link sound pretty bad. On a proper rig? It sounds like they are there performing in front of you up on stage.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-best-of-yellowjackets-mw0000260388

Tom
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I have a sacd of Sam Cooke. It doesn't suck. Yellow Jackets I have on LP from the 80's early 90's. Now I need to dig it out!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.