Hearing is believing...Redux!!!

2»

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Try contacting Parasound.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Here is an older thread at Audiokarma that has some info. Post 18.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/parasound-hca-1500a-strange-noise.345325/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ^^^^^Good info

Manti, make sure you give that info to any tech you use
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2017
    Parasound HCA 1500a schematic attached
    dk0ajeev918v.jpg

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Here is an older thread at Audiokarma that has some info. Post 18.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/parasound-hca-1500a-strange-noise.345325/

I think you hit one right out of the park!! This was just the info I needed. Thank You.

This info has been saved on my end.

For what I had noticed, the pots labeled TVR101 & TVR201 were the only two adjustable pots that I could find on the main board. I did not remove or disassemble the amp while looking. It was just a casual look & see.

Now that I know the values I will check the cool side value against the warmer/hotter side and see what the readings are; before I change anything. If the cool side is @ 10mV or very close I will know what to do.

Of course after spending several hours working in the backyard today... this will wait until at least tomorrow. I am absolutely whipped!

Thanks you all.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Manticore
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Parasound HCA 1500a schematic attached
    dk0ajeev918v.jpg

Much appreciated. Filed.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2017
    Happy to help. I see plenty of .33 ohm resistors they speak of. I guess measure across any one of them. R127 through R132 are left channel emitter resistors. Says right channel same as left or are they R227 - R232?.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Manticore
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Happy to help. I see plenty of .33 ohm resistors they speak of. I guess measure across any one of them. R127 through R132 are left channel emitter resistors. Says right channel same as left or are they R227 - R232?.

Thanks for your time in helping with my amp problem. I will know more when I pop off the top and have another look see. According to that post #18 he states
    " Tech support told me to test across .33 ohm emitter resistors".

I would do just that. Test across them all. Not sure if its necessary but, will give it a try hopefully later today or tonight. Time permitting. So much to do on my sprawling estate, (yeah right...sprawling). If I don't do it...

Spring and fall is the most work around the property. Have to keep the love of my life happy...
    77lm58qelbp0.png

and my wife too. :*
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • txcoastal1
    Man that's awesome even saved the trip and expense to the doctor

Education for all included

Happy listening

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    That info Rich posted was obviously helpful, glad you got the amp to where it should be. That will certainly improve the sound and it's life cycle.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Manticore
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Man that's awesome even saved the trip and expense to the doctor

Education for all included

Happy listening

Thanks for the schematic and yes its nice to save a buck or two. Eventually this unit will be sent out for a refresh.
    tonyb wrote: »
    That info Rich posted was obviously helpful, glad you got the amp to where it should be. That will certainly improve the sound and it's life cycle.

The info from Rich was the only reason this was able to be done. Thanks Rich :):):)

Funny you say that about the sound. I thought is was only wishful thinking but, it did sound better. I guess it shows one should trust their ears...most of the time.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Manticore wrote: »
    Funny you say that about the sound. I thought is was only wishful thinking but, it did sound better. I guess it shows one should trust their ears...most of the time.

Won't get an argument from anyone about trusting your ears. ;) Even though mine isn't all that great, I can still pick out the sound of an Espresso being made from like 2.5 miles away. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Manticore
    [/quote]

I can still pick out the sound of an Espresso being made from like 2.5 miles away. :) [/quote]

/\/\/\I should have added, send a box of Cannoli's with every speaker purchase, as long as we get to choose where they come from.

Sounds great. I still have not found a decent cannoli anywhere near where I live,
    Or a good bakery,
    Or good pizza,
    Or good... well... just about anything worth raving about food wise. :(
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I was gonna say, the adjusting points are hyper sensitive--but I see you got it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I also adjusted the bias on my 1500 last night, very simple process. The bias was really off both channels. I was really surprised the difference it made.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Manticore
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I was gonna say, the adjusting points are hyper sensitive--but I see you got it.

As they say up here in New England (wicked) sensitive. Man I dislike that saying. :|
    But when in Rome...

After I noticed how sensitive the pots were I worked them back and forth a bit with the power off to see if I could work out any corrosion or whatever. I am going to check the readings again in a week or so to see if the settings stayed about 10mV.

Steve I think you said you had to or were going to do yours when you have some free time. I would be curious to hear if yours were way off or not.

Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    I also adjusted the bias on my 1500 last night, very simple process. The bias was really off both channels. I was really surprised the difference it made.

OK this is starting to look like the norm. The difference was noticeable. I am very glad to be able to do this myself.

This makes me curious if the signal changed where I would have to rerun audyssey.

When listening in two channel I use the direct setting so there would be no change but for HT I use the room correction.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's