Crossovers upgraded/refreshed or new integrated?

Not sure which I should do first.

I will be having some expendable funds coming my way in the form of $500ish. Not sure if I should get a new integrated (currently have Yamaha Av34) or if I should get my crossovers completely redone with new binding posts on my SDA 2Bs.

Help me decide.

Eventually both will be accomplished but more than likely a year or so apart.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    edited May 2017
    How do you like your current integrated with the speakers as they are?

If you like it, I say go crossovers first, settle into those before you make a decision on direction to head for your next front end?

Which other integrated amps would you be considering, I suppose would be the next question.
    I disabled signatures.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I do like how it sounds currently, if I had to nit pick I would want more stereo separation and a warmer sound. I haven't really looked around much before as window shopping gets me in trouble. I haven't heard a ton but I do like the marantz sound and looks, old and vintage.

I know I need to look around just to even gain a good perspective of what I am looking for but I don't care about the bells and whistles. If it sounds good, looks decent, pairs good with my SDAs and is common ground I'll be happy.

I will probably end up going used for the integrated so that is not out of the question.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    A say maybe a crossover upgrade and change the binding post to handle speakons for the inter connect cable and maybe add a Dreadnaught.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    voltz wrote: »
    A say maybe a crossover upgrade

$

change the binding post to handle speakons for the inter connect cable

$$

add a Dreadnaught.

$$$

See that's 3 money signs...Wife will only allow 2 money signs. The 2 former options are more than likely the route I'll take and add a dreadnaught in the future. Beyond the old caps on the XO I feel the weakest link in the chain comes back to the integrated. That's what makes me question it a bit.