Keep these S15 speaker mounts?

WsW
WsW Posts: 24
What do you guys think about these?

I am a little concerned that the plastic/polymer back with the keyhole mount will crack/break with the weight of the speaker... the mounts say they are rated to 33lbs to hold the speaker in place, maybe but will have to snug everything tight!zyf6myz8oufk.jpg
ye6hob4qb8p9.jpg1yjnokzuiorm.jpg

The speaker would ideally be pointed down and in towards the center of the seating area (due to WAF I am going to elevate to ceiling level on the wall behind the couches in the corners of the room). Maybe let the corner rest against the wall with a small piece of rubber inbtween the speaker and the wall to relieve some weight and stress???

Show me your wall mount setups!

Comments

• WsW
    @D2Lo ? Any thoughts from you or Polk team?

Will be emailing Polk tech support tomorrow but interested in how others are mounting these as rear/surrounds if flat against the wall is not desired...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Interesting.
    These power ports are plastic then?

Seems like maybe something like a piece of wood or MDF with a footprint matching the power port may help disperse the stress? Mount the speaker to that "plate" then install your wall mount adapter to the plate, maybe more centered or mid to low? Line it with a piece of mastic, possibly, between the plate and power port, not sure.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WsW
    FYI- after a couple email exchanges and then talking with customer support this morning, Polk is stating the plastic backs of these speakers were designed to hold and will hold up to this type of mounting... i will move forward with installation and report back any issues that may come up if anyone is interested.
  • arekon
    arekon Posts: 77
    theyre actually power ports, not mounts. but i see that there are no stopper n8x7hb8bdie1.jpg
    thingys on the lower back part like how the rtiA1s have.
    i will probably get the gears for saying this but why even have the wall mount? i have a pair of rm101s in el-banyo and just drilled a screw into the wall and fit the keyhole slot into it.
  • arekon
    edited April 2017
    call me a cheap @ss then cause i just got longer screws
  • WsW
    Yep trying to angle toward listening position...
  • arekon
    thanks rick. feelin the love.
  • msg
    Rick's a pretty mean guy. One of the meanest on here. Not trying start anything, but I'd report him if I were you.

PS - your cables are triggering my ocd.
    Spades for your main run and bananas for your jumpers would be neater and easier to manage.

DubSDub - let's see your after shots. I'm curious to see how these mounts worked out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WsW
    Hope to have them up this week...

Will post pics when they are up
  • arekon
    msg wrote: »
    Rick's a pretty mean guy. One of the meanest on here. Not trying start anything, but I'd report him if I were you.

PS - your cables are triggering my ocd.
    Spades for your main run and bananas for your jumpers would be neater and easier to manage.

DubSDub - let's see your after shots. I'm curious to see how these mounts worked out.

neater...absolutely, they look poopy. but easier to manage...how so? i did it this way for easy plug-in. but did your OCD atleast notice the proper colour-coding of the sewells? i HAD to take half of them apart and redo..
  • msg
    Haha, I didn't look that close, but good job! :)

It's already connected and working for you, so no matter, but working with that many spades seems more awkward than bananas when multiple terminal connections are used, getting and keeping them tight? Another option would be to use ring terminals, like on the LsiM series. Very low profile. Maybe more desirable if you were to wall mount?
    I disabled signatures.
  • arekon
    ya those electricians' types look great with a good heat-shrink gun.
    with that in mind i refuse to show you what the posts of my 703 looks like
  • msg
    Just messin' with ya, man B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Shuddup Rick, or

dts5a6ga0jpr.jpg

I disabled signatures.
  • drindra
    drindra Posts: 2
    edited May 2017
    atwhsead59r3.jpg

0q3w939mkl1g.jpg
    They are having a design fault. In my case both developed crack within a month. Now dealer is asking to put support below the speakers so that they don't fall. Even if they change the wall mount within warranty, the new ones are likely to develop crack soon.
  • WsW
    Spoke with Polk over email and a couple phone conversations... I was not comfortable with the level of competence of the individuals I spoke with and have not installed the speakers yet due to hesitancy to trust them or the plastic bracket on these speakers...

Debating installing shelves instead of mounts or returning the speakers and using a different surround.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    drindra wrote: »
    atwhsead59r3.jpg

0q3w939mkl1g.jpg
    They are having a design fault. In my case both developed crack within a month. Now dealer is asking to put support below the speakers so that they don't fall. Even if they change the wall mount within warranty, the new ones are likely to develop crack soon.

Looks to me your mounting screw is too tight which stressed the plastic.
  • WsW
    Agree. That what I thought upon seeing that picture as well. The screw looks like it pulled the bracket to the wall...

My issue is mounting them in the fashion I had hoped to (angled downwards) will flex that plastic while I hold the mount and let the speaker hang... I assume they will stress over time and at some point fail if I rely only on the plastic bracket on the back of these speakers to hold the weight at an angle other than parallel with the wall...
  • drindra
    drindra Posts: 2
    It's not too tight at all. I can remove the speakers easily and put them back