MP3 is dead!

gce
gce Posts: 2,158
"The MP3 is dead, according to its creators, who say that the digital audio encoding format has lost relevance in a world of new technology."

MP3's have been dead a long time for me. Hopefully this will advance the technology for Hi-Res with hardware and software.
Anaheim Hills CA,
HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    It's hardly dead, they have simply stopped licensing it to other companies, but it will remain a legacy product for years to come.

The same way even though HDMI is the supposed defacto standard, most TV's, receivers, prepros etc. still have IC hook ups and what not.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Stereophile has an article on whether Hi-Res is gonna catch on...
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Not until Spotify starts streaming lossless.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Spotify vs Tidal - which is VHS, and which will be BETA?
    I disabled signatures.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Mp3 is not dead..... That's telling them!!! I'm on your side the search for truth continues, down with the nay sayers!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Well now, all the way up to a few years ago, your car still came with a cassette player. Didn't make it the most popular format.

MP3 is popular....still, know why ? Because it's cheap. When Higher rez files gets down off their high horse and make it more affordable to the masses, you'll see it explode.
    For long-term, I'll put my money on Flac files. They don't need expensive DACs or costly music services/downloads and play on the free Foobar player.

Flac files, or any lossless format is gaining in popularity but I'd disagree with you about the dac. Just like comparing a cheapo CD player to a good one that utilizes better build quality and better dacs. Music services....20 bucks a month for Tidal might seem expensive to some, but that's one trip to McDonalds for a family of 3. Somehow I think most can do without one trip to Micky D's in a months time. Music too has been shown to have some health benefits, not so much for McDonalds. You can think of that 20 bucks a month as an investment in your health. ;)

As always, everything in the chain matters to the final sound you hear from your system.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    If anything kills MP3, it will be cheaper storage. Why do you think compression came about in the first place? However, since it's such a universally supported format, it will be around for a long, long time. Btw, the premise of the original article is that MP3 is being replaced by AAC, an improved, but still lossy (compressed) format. Yes, of course neither is for Hi Fi listening...
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    MP3 is not dead... it just smells that way.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited May 2017
    For long-term, I'll put my money on Flac files. They don't need expensive DACs or costly music services/downloads and play on the free Foobar player. DSD is another version of SACD and may not become any more popular than that format.

A wise man once said, "You can't beat something with nothing." There are better file formats, but they are not universally accepted and supported by the audio industry. Maybe if they can ever get together and get behind a particular format..... The technology needs industry support and leadership or it will be another version of DVD audio on the road to nowhere.

I always hoped .flac would become more popular as well, as there are hardly any car audio devices that will support the format - though for most car audio applications, the higher quality probably doesn't matter as much. But a decent DAC is still not to be overlooked IMO.

That wise man has obviously never sat at a poker table for very long...

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Other formats such as AAC get better sound quality out of smaller files than MP3, MP3 has been pointless for some time.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Vinyl baby! :D

For all its "Charms" it has many issues.

We tried to get back into it fairly recently, but I think after having digital files for years, and being able to immediately access any of our music, it was more of a novelty, fun and entertaining, but far too inconvenient.

The fun ended when my little daughter decided to break a stylus off.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    K_M wrote: »
    Vinyl baby! :D

For all its "Charms" it has many issues.

We tried to get back into it fairly recently, but I think after having digital files for years, and being able to immediately access any of our music, it was more of a novelty, fun and entertaining, but far too inconvenient.

The fun ended when my little daughter decided to break a stylus off.

But I still think it peaked many of the youth's interest for higher fidelity.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    An inconvenience to you is a relaxing ritual to me. My record collection can be held, looked at, and has value. This Western Digital hard drive I have is pretty freaking boring to look at and is all but worthless.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    It will be like SACDs, and vinyl. A niche market.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Once ya go FLAC no going back.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The Library of Congress recommends archivists use WAV/LPCM for audio recordings. They considered the merits of FLAC several years ago and found the only reason to use it was for storage size. They abandoned it when they realized improvements in storage and bandwidth make it unnecessary.

When MP3 first came out, people had hard drives measured in megabytes rather than terabytes and dial up modems rather than high speed fiber optic internet connections.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    MP3s are not dead but they are an abomination of the highest order and desrve to die just like MacDonalds deserves to die along with their customers.

Okay Dexter.....
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    You mean the little guy from Felix the Cat?
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The Library of Congress recommends archivists use WAV/LPCM for audio recordings. They considered the merits of FLAC several years ago and found the only reason to use it was for storage size. They abandoned it when they realized improvements in storage and bandwidth make it unnecessary.

When MP3 first came out, people had hard drives measured in megabytes rather than terabytes and dial up modems rather than high speed fiber optic internet connections.

IMO I think this the best answer. mp3 is waning only because of lower cost increased storage capacities. FLAC/ALAC is still a great format, but it does require decoding per se. It my become a standard, but at the rate storage and transfer rates are increasing, it may have a more limited life span. On the other hand, processing power is also increasing. Look at all the older legacy digital formats that are still supported.

I don't see mp3's disappearing anytime soon. When you can dl the latest hit to you phone, in medium res., in a matter of seconds, right now, to play on cheap earbuds or you in your car, vs "waiting", there will always be a need. You can always dl a higher res. version from home some other time... or maybe to your phone while the med. res. version is playing.

I have actually lowered bit rate on many mp3's for the car because I am tight on space, transfer times are less, it harder to hear the difference in the car, and usually I'm driving so focusing on sound quality takes a back seat.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited May 2017
    I still use MP3s in my car and on an iPod classic. There are a couple of 32GB SDHC card slots in my car so I use 320 KB/S MP3s there. The stereo won't play FLAC and 320 KB/S is the highest resolution the player supports. I tried lower bit rate and it was noticeably more tinny sounding. I can't tell the difference between CD and MP3 in the car at the higher bit rate. On the iPod I use lower bit rate files so I can fit more than 30,000 tracks on it. I only use that for a table radio player at work for background sound sometimes so the resolution isn't an issue.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • The patent should be expired soon and it looks like we should really depended on Flac and AAC somehow. I guess they should kill JPEG in few years. :D
  • tonyb
    Speaking of cars and audio....why is it they can't make them more modular and interchangeable with their audio systems ? Why not create a spot to place a hard drive that you can unplug easily ? That would/could put an end to having MP3's in cars. Car radio head units today are like a computer anyway with internet, some sound pretty frickin' good too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    A few new cars don't come with CD players anymore. Just Bluetooth from your cell or Bluetooth audio device.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    erniejade wrote: »
    A few new cars don't come with CD players anymore. Just Bluetooth from your cell or Bluetooth audio device.

Yep, and that's the only selling point they have, the rest of the car is probably junk. lol Back in 2009 anyway, they were still putting cassette players in cars, mine has one. Talk about slow to change.

You can even put a spot in the trunk for a hard drive, with a quick disconnect panel to swap it out or take it with you. 6 cd changers used to be in the trunk, why not hard drives ? You could even add 2 speaker posts to add speakers for those parties. Open the trunk, plug your speakers in and instant party. Play anything with your phone and the car's hard drive, all lossless too. Doesn't take much but some extra wiring.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's