Anybody Have Experience with the Lumin A1 Network Music Player?

I'm looking at getting a more reliable DAC and equal-or-better SQ to use in my network.

My PS Audio DirectStream DAC is at the factory for repair, and its network bridge has not been as reliable as I would like. I'm looking at alternatives that I can use with my NAS to serve music to my main system.

The Lumin A1 looks attractive.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated! :)
Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    @BlueFox has the S1...maybe he can help you out?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2017
    I love my S1, which is a bit better (Lumin specs) than the A1. Others love the A1 sound.

I had the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC and it broke the second day I had it. I liked the idea of FPGA upgrades, but reliability is most important to me. The Lumin S1 has been rock solid, and sounds great on any file format; PCM, DSD, PCM->DSD, upsampled, etc. I sometimes switch around just for variety, but always come back to the native rate on any file.

One point is I do not use a NAS. I use a direct attached USB drive to avoid the hassles with networking. As with anything, there are those who say NAS sounds better that direct attached USB, but I am more than happy with the sound.

If you decide to get one let me know and I will point you to a dealer so you can save a few dollars.

One point I forgot, is that the Lumin is a file player/DAC, and this saved me $4K, at least, on not having to buy a DAC power cable, and digital interconnect.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @BlueFox,

Thank you.

I'll check out the S1, and if I decide to buy, I'll let you know.

Phil
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I have the d1 and sbooster power supply. If using a nas, make sure you can load minimserver on it. It's free and lumin recommends it for a good reason.

Also what kind of sound do you prefer? If you like a warmer bloom sound, the Lumin is right up your alley after it's broken in. If analytical is your taste, you might look into aurender. Either one though is not wifi capable. For that you need to look at Aurilic and talk to skip.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Moose68Bash
    @erniejade ,

Thank you.

I prefer a hard wired system because I have found it to be far more reliable when you've got a lot going on with wifi elsewhere in the house.

My wife prefers warm, I prefer accurate, clear, precise.

Skip sent me a PM about the Auralic. I'll check it out, but as I said, I prefer wired, and don't want to pay for wifi, if I don't intend to use it.

It looks like the Lumin S1 is considerably better in SQ than the A1, but it also comes with a steeper price and does not appear to come up for sale as used or demo often.

I'll be patient and probably give the DirectStream a good run after it comes back from the factory. I would prefer to stick with it, if it works. I like the sound, and my wife likes it as well. I guess it's a good "medium" between "warm" and "technical."

Thanks again.

• erniejade
    While I haven't heard the Altair, I have heard the Aries ( not mini) and vega dac combo and thought it sounded wonderful. From my understanding, the Altair is darn close to tgat combo at a fraction of the price. I think with Arilic you have to have some type of ios device but supposedly thats changing soon.

I know a lot of people think a streamer dac combo shouldn't add flavor to things but it does. Like a preamp, you change it for your liking ( tube vs ss ) In my experience, the lumin kept its warm bloom even going to a analytical sounding dac! As music as l like my lumin d1 and the lumin sound, , it definitely is not everyone's taste.

Skip, your right the Aurender is a wonderful sounding unit but $$$###$$$# vs what you can get from Auralic
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Moose68Bash
    @DSkip & @erniejade,

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments and advice.

I have to be in NYC for a few weeks for some medical treatment. When I return to New Hampshire, I'll clearly have to do a lot more work on this issue before deciding how to proceed.

Like all our audio decisions, there are many alternatives and what is best depends on both the nature of the equipment and the preferences of the listener -- in my case my preferences and my wife's! :)

• erniejade
    I hope everything goes good for you and have a safe trip!!