Cheap way to play flac, wav, mp3 without a computer

erniejade
erniejade Posts: 6,288
I have a friend in MN that has a bit of land. He has a garage system that is away from the house and no wifi in the garage. Is there a cheap player that he can hook up to his receiver and play flac, wav, and mp3 without having wifi? A unit that would have its own display, and not needing a cell or ipad to control it? Now blutooth might work from his cell if the unit can be controlled via blutooth.

Since its a garage setup, he does not want to spend too much money on it. Otherwise, I think his only other option will be a small cheap desktop with cheap dac might be his solution but, I wanted to check to see if there was something else. If he had wifi in the garage, I think an Aries Mini would have fit the bill perfectly since it can have an internal drive.
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2017
    Aries Mini + Basic Router (without internet connected) + phone.

He can create a garage network that is solely for controlling the Aries when he is out there. Thenhe just connects his phone or whatever device to it to control music playback from the minis internal drive.

I think @voltz or someone does just that and posted about it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • erniejade
    Now that's a good idea. I just need to see if he will go for $500 basically. Well maybe a little more since he would need an ipad or iphone. He still has a flip phone BUT his kids and wife have Iphones.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Cool idea but a little too small. He has a about a TB of music.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited May 2017
    I'd vote for the cheap PC route and include either a new internal 2TB internal drive that you can clone from the original and then add your music to it, or an external drive. Fry's has refurbished units all the time for about $200, or ebay is a good source. I purchased a refurbished Core I7 for about $300 and it works great as my new desktop/music source. I am running out to a DAC via USB which helps a lot but not sure you'd need that type of audio clarity in a garage setup.

oops, then I re-read and see the without a computer part... ignore my suggestion completely.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    I am with Legender, you can get a small form factor unit (Dell's) on ebay dirt cheap under $100 running P4 duo cores with win7 installed. With that much music (1-2 TB ) you will be hard to find a handheld device that can handle that much data along with a display to view whats playing. Sometimes you just have to choose what you need and what you want.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Not having WiFi in that location limits options for any device that is not a computer having mass storage capability and a built in display that is usable. I would just use an old Windows 7 laptop with JRiver and an external plug in Western Digital 2TB USB hard drive. Easy to carry it back inside if it gets cold or take it on trips with headphones.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited May 2017
    DSkip wrote: »
    $500 doesn't include a drive which jumps that cost up. I don't think the Aries Mini is a good fit for this. As far as the iPhone issue for AURALiC, I have some good news for you Apple haters to be shared soon.

HUH????? And, I don't hate Apple...I DISPISE them. Loathe and abhor could be used here as well.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    ^Tell us how you really feel. LOL.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    erniejade, what exactly is in his system?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Google Chrome web browser is a close second. After Firefox crashed and would not run, I then got Chrome on my Dell and it seems to be entirely defenseless against malware. I then had problems with Firefox on my new computer and installed Chrome. The last week Windows Defender began stopping different malware numerous times. Yesterday, each time it quarantined and I deleted some malware, that same stuff hit my computer in less than a minute. - about 50 times. So, I went online and got the latest version of Firefox, got some new anti-virus software, and Firefox actually works now and even lets me post pics in the what music are you listening to thread. Today, even though Google Chrome was not open, it got attacked twice more and lit up on my task-bar. So, I deleted Google Chrome. If Firefox is buggy like the last time I may be stuck going with MS Edge or finding another browser.

Can't disagree more.
    Nothing wrong with Microsoft (OS, not IE)
    Nothing wrong with Chrome.
    Nothing wrong with Firefox.
    Apple's good, too, but not immune like people think.

Can't expect a browser to protect you against malware. That's not its job. If you're getting hit that often with malware, there's something else going on, or you've got dormant malware or had something that wasn't completely removed.

Sorry for furthering the OT, but felt this warranted attention.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming already in progress...
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2017
    I take it he want to use loud speakers?

otherwise I'd say a Fiio X5 with good headphones and maybe with a headphone amp but now your getting close to the price of a Auralic Mini/DAC with a internal SSD and I have a X5 and a mini and just don't like try to use a X5 as the source. X3 is cheaper

the mini cost $499 + 150 for a 500 gig SSD =650 but your want a IPOD or Ipad to control it so if he already had one then maybe this is a solution.

Just my thoughts! and I love my Auralic Mini :) Skip is your go to man here!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • erniejade
    afterburnt wrote: »

Real garage system denon receiver old technics speakers, onkyo turntable, Yammy cd player.

Skip let me look up the Denon HEOS . I am not exactly sure what it is.

• erniejade
    With the Heos link, he would still need a cheap router and pad or phone to control yes?
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    erniejade wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »

Real garage system denon receiver old technics speakers, onkyo turntable, Yammy cd player.

Skip let me look up the Denon HEOS . I am not exactly sure what it is.

If there is no USB, maybe a more modern receiver and a portable HDD?
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Well geez, i had a marantz na 7004 for sale here for 250 shipped. Accepts up to 2TB HD. Plays FLAC as well as most others
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2017
    If he had a smartphone I'd just say add a Bluetooth adapter for the Denon and then use Plex on the phone to access music and send to stereo.

Not hi-fi BUT still fun
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    nbrowser wrote: »
    erniejade wrote: »
    I have a friend in MN that has a bit of land. He has a garage system that is away from the house and no wifi in the garage. Is there a cheap player that he can hook up to his receiver and play flac, wav, and mp3 without having wifi? A unit that would have its own display, and not needing a cell or ipad to control it? Now blutooth might work from his cell if the unit can be controlled via blutooth.

Since its a garage setup, he does not want to spend too much money on it. Otherwise, I think his only other option will be a small cheap desktop with cheap dac might be his solution but, I wanted to check to see if there was something else. If he had wifi in the garage, I think an Aries Mini would have fit the bill perfectly since it can have an internal drive.

Honestly, cheapest and easiest...used desktop PC off of CL with an external HD that can be loaded up in the house...seriously can be done for peanuts.

This ^^^

Maybe a cheapo laptop also. Add a external storage device and a Dragonfly and your done.

The newer receiver idea is also good, but navigating by the screen on an AVR can be aggravating unless there's an app for his phone.

BTW....how far is his garage from the house exactly ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    About 1/4 acre.
    I think your right on with me talking him into a cheap desktop or laptop and a cheap usb dac like the dragonfly Tony mentioned. I will give him a ring tomorrow.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited May 2017
    It sounds like the Denon does not have a digital input. If it did, my only alternative would be a BD player that can support a HD and FLAC, and maybe there is an old TV around. I am doing that now for some stuff. My samsung BD was about $80. I think you can find used ones for less. The era of 3D and internet upgradeable firmware should be upgradeable to FLAC.

Otherwise +1 for the cheap used computer.
  • erniejade
    I found a Lenovo T430S I5 with 8 gig of ram for 100$, hifimediy sabre usb dac es9023 for $42 ( it gets great reviews at this price) and a Toshiba usb 2 tb drive for $79$ Just need to load up Jriver and he should be good for under $250. Solid for a garage system on a receiver I think
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Excellent find and build. I'm sure this will meet his needs now and for years to come. Nice work and he's lucky to have you as a friend.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • erniejade
    Thanks all. @DonnerUndBlitzen When I was shopping for a cheap dac, I did check out their website. It seems their stuff gets some darn good reviews for the $.

I think he will be happy with it. He can kick up the tunes and work around the garage and have a much more reliable setup to play music. In the spring, summer and fall, the garage is basically the party area so it will get a lot of use.