Hearing is believing...Redux!!!

Have had a Parasound HCA 1500a 2 channel amplifier for 10 days now. Purchased used of course...

Its great that there are so many seasoned veterans of HiFi here on this forum to help guide us in the correct direction for improving our sound.

Thank You all for your wisdom and past experience with your HiFi endeavor of better sound.

In the long run your posts both past and present have actually saved me money. I have not had to spend money on something that has not worked out or I was disappointed in by not knowing all/most of the facts. The one or two things I did make mistakes with were easily and cheaply dealt with and done before I joined this forum.

Your mistakes and your successes have enlightened me. At least that's how I am looking at it.

The para 1500a has brought me another step closer to being very, very happy with my sound quality. Over the years I have had what I thought were very good sounding systems within my budget. It really sucks to know you want better but, its not in the finances (damn mortgage, car payments,kids :) )

In my circle of friends only one had superior sound, and I was envious, to a point.

Not anymore!! :p

The amp adds a dynamic to the SQ that I have never had in the past. Although the Avr I have been using seemed suffice for power there is an improvement with a smoother, effortless effect now to listening. Definitely more punch and an overall better sound. Happy happy happy.

Thanks Jesse F1nut for your help and knowledge with a few of my questions.

So be very, very quiet, I'm hunting heading further down the rabbit hole.

Denon AVR X4200W
Parasound A23 amplifier
Parasound A23 amplifier
LG 65" Ultra HD4k
LG 4kBR - UP970
Denon DVM 4800
Denon DP 3000 turntable
Saec 308sx tonearm w/
Dynavector 10x5 cart
Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
Polk SDA 1C's modded
Polk LSim 707
Polk LSiM706c
Polk RTiA 3's
Polk 80F/X-RT
Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
Infinity bu2 sub
"The early Klingon gets the Gagh"

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Thanks for all that, and you picked a great guy to bend his ear with about audio. Your scenario isn't much different than most, we all want better but, dang those bills come like clockwork and spending money needlessly is not something most are accustomed to. I say "needlessly", because some look at audio and where they are at as "good enough", so spending more on it isn't a priority. Nothing wrong with that, as long as your happy with the sound your getting. Unfortunately most of us have champagne tastes and beer budgets to work with, right ?

Truth be told, we always want "better", better clothes, nicer cars, bigger boat, nicer homes, toys like Grills and lawnmowers, women like better purses, shoes/clothes, hair styles, better vacations. Life is about progressing forward, doing better at work, making better money, better quality of life in general and of course....better audio, least when you think you need it.

Many of us can't afford to waste money, don't have the time for trial and error. That's why this forum and the great folks that make it up are so valuable in my eyes anyway...and now yours too.

Thank you for that post, rock on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Yep, you will need to move up the ladder considerably and part with much more coin too best that HCA-1500. That day will come, so enjoy it while you can.....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Yep, you will need to move up the ladder considerably and part with much more coin too best that HCA-1500. That day will come, so enjoy it while you can.....lol.

I'll have to agree to disagree ;)

STOP while your ahead :)

Congrats Manti
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2017
    Manticore wrote: »

That is sig material
    BTW Congrats!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Thanks guys for all the well wishing. And your very welcome tonyb.

The truth is the truth.

I am finding the HiFi hobby very similar to other hobbies, muscle cars, shooting, boating... the list goes on. Its very satisfying to purchase something, hook it up and realize, wow that sounds great! Really great!! I done good!! :)

I understand that I will never have the "price is no object stuff" and I am OK with that. I really don't need that type of stuff anyway but, I have been slowly working my way up the ladder (down the rabbit hole) slowly, a little bit at a time.

Being new to this forum I can figure out who the more educated folks are. Im not going to list names and am not including myself in that description. There are great folks on most all forums and then there are... well... trolls. Yeah I said it. No tower center for me.

I am very satisfied with the way my system is taking shape and as said in other posts "buying used sometimes is the only way to go" for some things.

I do have a question about the 1500a amp or amps in general. Since this one can be up to 20 years old already, is there anything to look out for, telltale signs when an amp is starting to go... or its time for a recap or rebuild. What do I need to be aware of and look out for?

I am not experiencing any problems at all with this amp. Its just a general knowledge type of question. Thanks again all.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • motorhead43026
    You can pop the hood and inspect the caps to see if any are bulging or leaking. Yet, if it sounds good don't worry about it for now. I am in the same boat and I plan at some point in time sending mine off to Big Sky and have it refreshed and updated, but for now it is just fine.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited May 2017
    My HCA-1500A is 14yrs old, and I have no reason to replace it. Had the hood off of mine a year ago to blow it out, everything looked fine. I recently bought a cooling fan set for the top of it that contains 4 fans, drawing air up and out. The amp barely gets warm anymore---wish I would have done that years ago.

From Coolcomponents.com:

u3kfts7e9aa5.jpg

The voltage is selectable from 3.3vdc to 12vdc to balance fan noise/cooling rate. It also comes on automatically depending on which thermoswitch you buy. I set mine to 7vdc, and cannot hear the fans at all until right up on the amp. It blends perfectly with the HCA amp finish.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Manticore
    Again thanks for the info. The inside does look very clean. Since the warranty is long over (and non-transferable to start with) I guess I could remove the top cover and inspect it closely. Great tips.

/\/\/\I am in the same boat and I plan at some point in time sending mine off to Big Sky and have it refreshed and updated,

Is there a link for this place? I'm only coming up with ski resorts and other non related stuff.

/\/\/\ Coolcomponents.com
    I did see you post this on another thread. That is a cool concept. Pardon the pun!
    If heat ever becomes a problem its worth looking into.

At the moment heat does not seem to be a big problem. I have noticed the right side of this amp above the side with the indicator lights is considerably warmer than the left side. The left side barely gets warm. Is this the norm for this particular amp? I'm not talking burn your hand hot but, noticeably warmer. Bordering hot. Just curious.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • steveinaz
    As I face the amp, to my left, that side gets warmer than my right.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Manticore
    steveinaz wrote: »
    As I face the amp, to my left, that side gets warmer than my right.

That's so strange. The exact opposite. So I will guess that this is totally normal?
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2017
    If one side is warmer than the other the bias has drifted and should be adjusted.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Manticore
    F1nut wrote: »
    If one side is warmer than the other the bias has drifted and should adjusted.

Hey Jesse, Way over my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any instructional videos or is that a professional fix?
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I'm sure there are videos online. You'll need a DVM though.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Have had a Parasound HCA 1500a 2 channel amplifier for 10 days now. Purchased used of course...

Its great that there are so many seasoned veterans of HiFi here on this forum to help guide us in the correct direction for improving our sound.

Thank You all for your wisdom and past experience with your HiFi endeavor of better sound.

In the long run your posts both past and present have actually saved me money. I have not had to spend money on something that has not worked out or I was disappointed in by not knowing all/most of the facts. The one or two things I did make mistakes with were easily and cheaply dealt with and done before I joined this forum.

Your mistakes and your successes have enlightened me. At least that's how I am looking at it.

The para 1500a has brought me another step closer to being very, very happy with my sound quality. Over the years I have had what I thought were very good sounding systems within my budget. It really sucks to know you want better but, its not in the finances (damn mortgage, car payments,kids :) )

In my circle of friends only one had superior sound, and I was envious, to a point.

Not anymore!! :p

The amp adds a dynamic to the SQ that I have never had in the past. Although the Avr I have been using seemed suffice for power there is an improvement with a smoother, effortless effect now to listening. Definitely more punch and an overall better sound. Happy happy happy.

Thanks Jesse F1nut for your help and knowledge with a few of my questions.

Not to be b u t t kissing here, but this is a good example of a positive attitude post, versus a negative, combative post. Rather than nonsensical complaining about advice outside of some undefined mid-fi budget, just go with the flow, listen to the advice, make a decision, and then enjoy it.

Have fun, and start saving for the inevitable upgrade down the road. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Manticore
    Thank you. I will look into that. I now have a new DVM. The old radio shack one just cant cut it anymore. Off to do some errands.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • steveinaz
    F1nut wrote: »
    If one side is warmer than the other the bias has drifted and should be adjusted.

Exactly. There's actually a youtube video showing how to do it, I just never tried.
  • motorhead43026
    Again thanks for the info. The inside does look very clean. Since the warranty is long over (and non-transferable to start with) I guess I could remove the top cover and inspect it closely. Great tips.

/\/\/\I am in the same boat and I plan at some point in time sending mine off to Big Sky and have it refreshed and updated,

Is there a link for this place? I'm only coming up with ski resorts and other non related stuff.

/\/\/\ Coolcomponents.com
    I did see you post this on another thread. That is a cool concept. Pardon the pun!
    If heat ever becomes a problem its worth looking into.

At the moment heat does not seem to be a big problem. I have noticed the right side of this amp above the side with the indicator lights is considerably warmer than the left side. The left side barely gets warm. Is this the norm for this particular amp? I'm not talking burn your hand hot but, noticeably warmer. Bordering hot. Just curious.

http://bigskyaudiomt.com/

I think Littlewoodenboats had his Adcom refreshed there and really liked the results.

• Manticore
    edited May 2017
    /\/\/\http://bigskyaudiomt.com/

I think Littlewoodenboats had his Adcom refreshed there and really liked the results.

Thanks for the link. Place sounds promising. Are there any other reputable places that do similar work say around the New England area? Anybody aware?

/\/\/\If one side is warmer than the other the bias has drifted and should be adjusted.

If the (bias) is left as is and not adjusted am I running the risk of any severe damage to the unit?

I am going to watch a few videos. If I feel that I'm over my head then I wont touch it.

/\/\/\Not to be b u t t kissing here

There is absolutely wrong :p with a little b u t t kissing every now and then. Ask my wife!!

How do you think I was able to get this amp!

Thanks guys
    Post edited by Manticore on
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    I have found a past post or two referring to a maintenance diagram/manual for biasing adjustment for the hca 1500a and other amplifiers. The link in that past post did not work. Is this info still floating around? Would anyone still have this? I would greatly appreciate it.

I still have not decided whether or not to try this myself. Fortunately I do have enough common sense to realize when I'm in over my head.

What is the general consensus on continued use of this amp if the biasing is off. Is it in danger of a meltdown or other damage?
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    c4r8y63daz2m.gif

Magic smoke cannot be replaced.
  • Manticore
    lightman1 wrote: »
    c4r8y63daz2m.gif

Magic smoke cannot be replaced.

Wow, So if that happens; what radius should I evacuate the family?
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • tonyb
    I have found a past post or two referring to a maintenance diagram/manual for biasing adjustment for the hca 1500a and other amplifiers. The link in that past post did not work. Is this info still floating around? Would anyone still have this? I would greatly appreciate it.

I still have not decided whether or not to try this myself. Fortunately I do have enough common sense to realize when I'm in over my head.

What is the general consensus on continued use of this amp if the biasing is off. Is it in danger of a meltdown or other damage?

It would have to be off a good amount to go nuclear. lol Most amps have an operating "range" for bias, and usually SS amps don't wander too far out of line like tube amps can. Given the age of yours though, it may need an adjustment, but I don't think defcon 4 is warranted.

If one side of the amp runs way hotter than the other, then I'd worry about it. Pop the top, see if any caps are bulging or leaking. If you have to eventually bring it in for an update on caps, just ask them to check and set the bias to factory specs. Normally they'd do that anyway but in todays world, who knows anymore.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Manticore
    /\/\/\If one side of the amp runs way hotter than the other, then I'd worry about it. Pop the top, see if any caps are bulging or leaking. If you have to eventually bring it in for an update on caps, just ask them to check and set the bias to factory specs.

Good to know. Thanks T.

Any places for referral. So far just http://bigskyaudiomt.com/. This guy sounds awesome but, so far away. I'm in New England.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    http://parasound.com/misc/us_svc.php

Looks like you can google some reviews for authorized repair centers, call and get some estimates. Pop the hood and take some good pics.

After a refresh that amp will last ya another 10+ years. I had my Thresholds done.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Manticore
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    http://parasound.com/misc/us_svc.php

Looks like you can google some reviews for authorized repair centers, call and get some estimates.

Thanks for that link. Had I taken the time to look more closely at parasounds web sight I should have seen that. It does appear that the guy at Big Sky is probably the way to go, when I'm ready.

After taking off the cover all I can notice is some very old dust. "I don't remember that being included in the product description" Lol
    No cracked, leaking or bulging caps.
    To me "a novice" all looks good.

I did find two adjustable pots on the board, probably L & R sides but being a novice and not knowing the values and other pertinent info "I will not be attempting to adjust the bias myself". No biggie!

I will keep an eye on the temp. If it gets out of hand Ill deal with it. Maybe I will buy a cheap temperature gun from lowes for $20 beans to see what temp it actually is.

Ive read the 1200ii is very similar to the 1500a. Curious why they don't list it on the legacy products page? Maybe its the milk mans kid :o

Thanks guys
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • tonyb
    You don't need a temp. gun to figure it out. Use your hand, it's free. lol Just play the music you normally listen to, at the volumes you normally listen to, and place your hand on either side of the amps heat sinks. If one side is noticeably hotter, then the bias is off. A little bit of difference would be acceptable, especially in an amp that age, but if one side is cool as a cucumber and the other side you can make French toast on, then there's a problem.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Manticore
    /\/\/\Use your hand, it's free. Sorry, my mind started to wander. >:)

Thanks for the info tonyb. But yes one side is cool as a cucumber and the other side is noticeably warmer. Even when pushing the volume up a little for an hour or so both sides are still exactly as described. It appears Ill be sending this one out sooner than I Thought???
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    There was several videos on the youtube site walking you through bias adjustments on parasound amps do a search there. I'd be very surprised if they disappeared.
  • steveinaz
    I tried to find the video I saw, but can't seem to locate it. The guy just used a multi-meter to adjust to spec after the amp warmed up. I think he mentioned in the video that Parasound sent him the specs and where to clip his leads to.
  • Manticore
    I appreciate the feedback. I also could not find the video specific to the same/similar
    parasound model.

That is all I would need; I have the meter, just not the know-how &
    where to clip the leads and to confirm that the two adjustable pots Ive seen were the
    ones/one to adjust (I am sure they are). My reading of schematics is just basic
    beginner -.

I will keep looking for now. I understood this could happen from the get go
    with this being up to a 20 year old amp. I am still very pleased with the purchase.

If anyone does happen to see this video I would absolutely appreciate the link or any
    other useful info.

Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's