Guardians of the Galaxy

ZLTFUL
ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
edited August 2014 in Music & Movies
If you are a Marvel franchise fan, you owe it to yourself to see this movie.

If you are a sci-fi nut, you owe it to yourself to see this movie.

If you are a music buff, you owe it to yourself to see this movie.

So far, this has been my favorite Marvel movie to date. Marginally beats out The Avengers.

The soundtrack is good enough that I walked from the theater to FYE to buy a CD for the first time in my life.
"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
Post edited by ZLTFUL on

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited August 2014
    Going this weekend to see it. And I haven't been in a theatre in 4 or 5 years. I hear it's that good.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited August 2014
    I completely agree. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I was a Marvel reader from early 60's till mid-70's but wasn't familiar with this version of the GotG and didn't know if I would like it. Very, very well done all around.

However, if you haven't seen it yet, don't hang around for the end credits "easter egg" , just check Youtube after the movie, it's not very interesting.
  • ZLTFUL
    edited August 2014
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    However, if you haven't seen it yet, don't hang around for the end credits "easter egg" , just check Youtube after the movie, it's not very interesting.

It is to the comic book geek. :cheesygrin: But I want to get it home on Blu-Ray so I can pause it to pick on the smaller and much more subtle easter eggs from around the lab. (The primary one is extremely cheesy, I agree. hehe.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • fluffy
    fluffy Posts: 71
    edited August 2014
    i have been looking forward to this one for a long time
  • Jimbo18
    edited August 2014
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It is to the comic book geek. :cheesygrin: But I want to get it home on Blu-Ray so I can pause it to pick on the smaller and much more subtle easter eggs from around the lab. (The primary one is extremely cheesy, I agree. hehe.
    I was just disappointed in how short and, to me, unimportant the appearance of the "character" was. I know he had his own movie, and I still own a few of the original comics, but it wasn't worth sitting through 10+ minutes of credits, to me.

I really have no other complaints about the movie itself though. Lots of fun and could lead to some big things in the future.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2014
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited August 2014
    This movie was great....I was somewhat surprised how good it was....based on how many crappy movie they churn out these days. Two thumbs up!
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    The wife and I just got back from seeing "The Guardians of the Galaxy." If I were to write a review it would be the word, f*ck, typed over and over again for ten pages. Then I would capitalize it for another ten pages. I heard it was better than "The Avengers" and it was. GO SEE THIS MOVIE!
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Great. Can't wait for the Blue Ray.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    don't hang around for the end credits "easter egg" , just check Youtube after the movie, it's not very interesting.

I consider myself a movie buff/lover and it bugs me that people rarely stay for the credits. For me, staying through is a show of respect for the people who made the film possible. It happens quickly, but I saw some stuff in the end credit scene that may suggest future storylines and characters. I won't post it here cuz I don't wanna ruin it for comics fan.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was a total surprise. I didn't expect to like it.
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    I loved it as well..
    I started googling the soundtrack too, I love how he still uses cassette, lol
    As for end credits and future stories, how many watched the ending of Thor The Dark World?
    It Leeds right into this movie...
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    A big surprise for me as well. I go to maybe one movie a year. Loved this thing. Reminded me of the exhilaration after seeing the first Star Wars long ago. Happy to have been invested in Marvel/Disney for several years - this series will have legs. Can't wait for the next installment.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Jimbo18
    edited May 2017
    Resurrecting an old thread because Guardians of the Galaxy 2 starts on Friday. The movie is supposed to be as much fun as the first one, and the music just as good.

Looking forward to it, of course.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I got out to see this yesterday and it was a blast! So much fun and a lot of humor. Baby Groot stole all of his scenes. Rocket is still my favorite and is fantastic!

There are 5 post credit scenes. 2 of them are teasers for some things to come, according to the director. The "Teen Groot" scene was funny. There's another that you can take or leave. The last scene after all of the credits run, nothing big and I wouldn't hang around, unless you really feel the need to see it and have a little chuckle.

All in all, it was a very fun movie!
    No excuses!
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Going next weekend after the crowds dissipate a little. :)
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Didn't really like it. Unfortunately
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Not worth the price of admission in my opinion. Wait for the release on video.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • Jimbo18
    Took my wife to see it yesterday. She enjoyed it more than I did. I am a big Marvel fan, but this was a little to "jokey" for my taste. I know GotG is intended to be more fun than serious, but the whole first half of the movie was all about making you laugh.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say, that if you know anything about the upcoming Infinity Gauntlet, one of the "easter eggs" during the end credits has a lot to do with it.
  • ZLTFUL
    I felt like they tried a little too hard to corny it up. Not my favorite of the Marvel franchise so far.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Not of the same level as the first
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Took my wife today - not usually my cup of tea but it was entertaining, especially in 3D IMAX.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's