Furutech Flattener Consortium - Round 2 - Open until 6/10/17

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
Hello all, Tom here. It appears as if the original LP flattener has bit the dust from sheer use. What I'd like to do is introduce the same plan as the original but with updated members and an updated (read: working) product we can all use.

Here is the deal - express interest in this thread to see how many Polk forum members would be interested in buying into the group. The amount of members would decide how much each one of us would spend to make the initial purchase of the machine.

Each member of this consortium will be a "part owner" of said Furutech LP flattener. Here's the model I was thinking about:

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Furutech-DF-2-LP-Flattener-115V?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=CN26luei5tMCFYg7gQodfCIHQg
DF-2-a-500x500.jpg

We may be able to find a better price, I haven't really looked too much into it. Maybe the members of the group could collectively help each other find the best price on this unit.

This is not set in stone but I would like for each owner to have the unit for 3 weeks, then ship it off to the next member (at their cost, including the cost of insurance). After the initial purchase, this will be the only costs incurred unless the unit needs to be sent in for repair. Any repair/shipping for repair costs will be split up between all owners. After the next member has it for 3 weeks, the unit gets shipped to the next owner in line and so on and so on until we go back to the first person in line and start all over again.

If someone is not in need of the unit on their turn, they have the right to pass and be bumped to a different location about half way through the rotation list. This way, they won't have to wait a full cycle to get it back into their hands. Requests can be made to all owners if someone is in real need of the unit during normal rotation BUT please note that ALL owners must approve a change in the order. Not just one or two owners....ALL owners must agree.

We can keep up with the rotation, member contact/address information, where the unit is and where everyone stands on the rotation schedule on a private thread.

The requirements to join is that you must be a member in good standing of the Polk Forum for over a year and you must have at least 200 posts.

Please post here if you are interested in becoming a member of the 2nd Polk Forum Furutech Flattener Consortium. If we get 10 members, it should only be a $300.00 or so investment for each member. More obviously if there are less than 10 owners, less if there is more. A maximum of 15 members are allowed in this offering so first come, first serve.

I will leave this thread open for a time period of 1 month from today. At that point, the members that have expressed interest will be invited to a private thread for purchase and final details/scheduling.

Thank you for your interest and keep me posted.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I'm interested, and as I understand this is an expressed interest thread and then after a month we see how many people are interested and then we will be invited to purchase via private thread. I guess my only hesitation is that I want to make sure there are adequate buyers before committing.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Not interested but saw this on flea bay new in box from an experienced seller with a high feedback rating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furutech-DF-2-Flatten-Fix-Straighten-repair-warped-records-45-LP-vinyl-Discs-/182288875699?hash=item2a714380b3:m:m-_OHxHcRK0MdLmtdQ79dYA

Should save you a couple hundred bones.

Free shipping too!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2017
    @treitz3

@helipilotdoug (IE Douglas Connection) is a Furutech dealer I believe so you might want to talk to him about pricing as he might be able to save you a few bucks.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • treitz3
    Ah, good to know. Thank you.

This is not a commitment thread. It's basically an interest thread to see how many people we can get to hopefully purchase one of these units.

Nothing is set in stone and you are not bound to any commitments until we go to the private thread and solidify things there.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    Thanks Tom, please include me as an interested party.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    What's vinyl? My truck seats are vinyl, but they've never played music.
  • dromunds
    its a petrochemical based addiction
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2017
    lightman1 wrote: »

You need to drag something sharp across them, then you will get sound... ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    lightman1 wrote: »

I disagree.... you've gotten them to whistle and flab with your exuberant flatulence AT LEAST once :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    @treitz3

@helipilotdoug (IE Douglas Connection) is a Furutech dealer I believe so you might want to talk to him about pricing as he might be able to save you a few bucks.
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Ah, good to know. Thank you.

This is not a commitment thread. It's basically an interest thread to see how many people we can get to hopefully purchase one of these units.

Nothing is set in stone and you are not bound to any commitments until we go to the private thread and solidify things there.

Tom

Hey Tom, Dan is absolutely correct. I'll be glad to Give you and the consortium a SUBSTANTIAL reduction in price for the Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener.

Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • treitz3
    Cool deal Doug, much appreciated. Well, now that the sourcing of the product is down, we just need to wait and see how many other members are interested in joining in the group. I was honestly expecting more people to have chimed in by now.....especially with the resurgence of vinyl.

Time will tell.

Thanks Doug!

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited May 2017
    Double post. Mods, feel free to delete.

Thank you.

Tom
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2017
    Tom, perhaps it might be worthwhile to post what the approximate cost would be if 10 people got in with dougs lower pricing. It might entice those on the fence, or that are on a tight budget to get in.

I have no use for it myself as my LP collection is super small and my TT is out of commission for right now anyway.
  • treitz3
    Well, I'll have to get the price from Doug but I do not want to make that price public information, as this was a very generous offer. Let's say that it ends up costing the group 3K even. With 10 people in the group, each member would have a $300.00 initial investment to buy into the group.

From there, only shipping and insurance to the next member after your time with the unit has been exhausted. (If the unit needs to be repaired, all owners would split the shipping and repair costs). That's the investment.

If only 5 people buy in, the initial investment would be $600.00 and the rotation schedule would fly by quickly. If this were the case, the length of time with said unit could increase before shipping off to the next member.

If 15 people buy in, the initial investment would be $200.00 but your time with the unit will be a max of 2-3 weeks and the rotation schedule would spread out further.

Tom
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2017
    Understand. Maybe make a private PM for those interested and post it there as it won't be searchable on Google.

One new feature that's nice is the ability to ADD people into an existing PM and they can see everything from start to finish.
  • treitz3
    Eye to eye brother. We are on the same wavelength with this. I'll start it later on today or sometime this weekend. Duty calls right now...

Tom
  • treitz3
    Private thread has been created for those members that are involved.

We are now up to 3 members and we have sourced the unit from Doug at Douglas Connections. Thank you Doug!

Tom
  • treitz3
    Bump. 12 more days left to get in.

Tom