Take a guess...

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    That's different!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    The length is almost 1" shorter on these. I am testing them in my shop 5jrs at the moment.....

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    I'll definitely build more of these. Kick drums sound better and mids are more clear especially at higher volume.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    This looks somewhat similar to some of the build diagrams I've seen on the Frugal Horn site.
    Concept is interesting.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
  • xschop
    Looks like whom ever you're referring to needs a different hobby.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Color me stupid. So you're reinventing the wheel for driver damping? What's the advantage to traditional methods?
  • xschop
    These were to expound on WMG's CRS+ baffle modification/damping in my CRS enclosures.

They insert easily into the MW mount holes and hold the sound barrier directly behind drivers. And they're more at 47 sq. inches of foam, close to what WMG installed

Since the treated surface of the sound foam is on both sides of the plane... Maybe they're catching the sound-waves coming and going?
    They are definitely improving the sonics in the midrange dept.
    I'll be adding yet another set to my dining room 5Jr's soon. Cant have my shop's out doing those hehe.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    xschop wrote: »
    They insert easily into the MW mount holes and hold the sound barrier directly behind drivers. And they're more at 47 sq. inches of foam, close to what WMG installed

Since the treated surface of the sound foam is on both sides of the plane... Maybe they're catching the sound-waves coming and going?...

eh?

• xschop
    The all-encompassing phrase that says it all....eh
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2017
    not "eh", but "eh?" As in, "What?" as in -- I have no clue what the sentences I quoted mean (i.e., what you're trying to accomplish).

My guess was you were trying to provide some bracing to the woofer via the magnet (which doesn't seem unreasonable) -- beyond that, I've no clue.

• xschop
    Ok
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »

Since the treated surface of the sound foam is on both sides of the plane... Maybe they're catching the sound-waves coming and going?...

eh?

The backwaves are absorbed by the foam before they bounce off the back of the cabinet and hit the cone on their way forward.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mmmm -- interesting.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited May 2017
    Bozak just used a "curtain" half way back of the box.
    Oh wait, is this for CRS speaks?
    My ole 886a speakers had 1/4 inch foam around the passives.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Did ya know one's ears naturally vibrate?
    DSkip wrote: »
    Looks like tony will be able to hear in no time.

• xschop
    Mhardy, I guess if you'ld like to brace your MWs, the Aleens or Powergrab has the same holding strength.....
    vhpuz2gjkuj2.jpg

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Is the vent horn open on the back, and only suspending the both pieces of foam, or is one piece of foam acting as a restrictor? What is the idea of suspending the foam vs mounting it on the back wall?
  • xschop
    edited May 2017
    These hollow cones are structural to hold the sound foam suspended and prevent sound waves from entering the passive radiator or rebounding back into the MWs on my CRS that are about 1" deeper than factory.
    The passive radiator on CRS is almost directly behind one of the MW drivers.

The foam halves are sandwiched together encircling the 2" base on the ends and the 3M glue locks everything solid. There are no holes in the cones open to atmosphere.

It is so strong that the foam can hold the weight of the Midwoofer...

krcgwvp1dxx6.jpg

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I had a massive brain **** there, I saw the reference to the CRS, but spaced it out. Of course there is no wall to mount it too. I was also picturing a different woofer that is vented in the rear. I remember the polk model # stickers are ring shaped, but wasn't thinking what actually was in the middle.

Very creative and awesome solution.