Cardas thruholes.... 1/2" or 13 mm?

2»

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2017
    Nice work, love the beveled edge and step. I just did something similar for my monitor 5's. I just used some stainless drop from one of our lasers though. I might revisit in a couple of months after seeing these.
    Side note: have you thought about making a counter bore and mounting the neutrik connectors on the inside? That way it sits flush to the surface.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    The 0.5" deep thru hole affords the most sealing surface. The counterbore would be neat if they didn't leak air.
    I'm not even using/needing the Neutrik gasket.

Thought I read a recent post that the Neutrik 4 pin are not air-tight themselves?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Certain Neutriks are air tight such as the ones I always recommend. Check the spec sheet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    F1, you're like E.F. Hutton of the audio world.
  • xschop
    edited May 2017
    Got a couple sets of the billet Monitor plates done.... I also rotated the mount bolt holes 45 deg. on these. It just makes them even easier to install by drilling into fresh MDF.
    I ordered the Dayton Gold posts to see what sleeves/spacers need to be done to install...

u1sxyhcsafxv.jpg
  • xschop

i8my29cpp2h1.jpg
  • xschop
    edited May 2017
    I've cut a couple of the old early 5jr X-over cups off with the lathe, but these were only held/sandwiched together by the terminal mounts. Instead of cutting down the plastic and gluing to back of plates, I decided to glue some 3/16" high impact polyurethane foam to the other half. When it dries I'll glue it to the billet with Aleens.... Simple and isolates even more vibes while making clearance for the binding posts, and moving the X-over another 0.625" rearward....
    1mxbo5or7hos.jpg

• xschop
    Is vinyl tape ok to use as the thru-hole insulator?The Daytons are an oddball 0.280" dia. knurled shank and I only have 0.25" dia. sleeves ATM.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited May 2017
    shrink tubing? I would think tape would be fine just tossing out the tubing as another thought.
  • xschop
    That's a good idea. The knurled area continues directly into the threaded area at 0.240" dia.
  • xschop
    Good call Pitt.The 5mm red tubing is perfect...

pmwofa03zh71.jpg
  • xschop
    Was playing at fairly loud vol. all day and started hearing a rattle. Thought it was my CRS knocking over sockets in the tool chests again. Nary a situation. Discovered the factory inductor nut came loose, so installed longer stainless hardware with crush washers and added anti-vibe pad to it...problem solved.
    While in there, I wondered if I should solder in the fastons at the Neutrik terminals? Do these tend to vibrate loose? They can slightly wiggle side to side but cannot pull off easily.

dux5dcw6d3ec.jpg

umospeuczj5m.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Some Neutrik sockets can take the heat from soldering, others can't. It appears to me that yours can't.

You can always crimp the rolled edges of the faston a bit to tighten the grip.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Now those are the kind of solutions I don't mind having delegated. They're snug now.

I was redoing the tweeter leads in 16g OFC and I removed all the set-pins in the X-over terminals and re-crimped then shot with deoxit....

is1bjrrbncx1.jpg

f0d6f5jua4vo.jpg