Attention: Furutech Flattener Consortium members

Options
Hello all,

It has been quite some time since the LP flattener club took off and at the time, my vinyl rig did not warrant getting into the club. Well, I am at that point now along my audio Journey. My LP collection has doubled since this club started and I have some valuable gems I'd like to flatten.

Here's my question.....Is this open to old school Polk members to buy into the rotation or is it a closed group (as was being discussed behind closed doors with me) when this all started?

I am expressing interest in buying into the group, if any or all of you can collectively come to a decision to allow someone else to join in after all of these years (I should have bit the bullet and joined way back in the day).

It has been so long since this went down, I completely forgot who was in the group. So I figured I'd just make a post and I'll find out in short order.

Anyhoo, please let me know. Thanks.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Me, Carl (schwarcw), Ted (reeltrouble1), Ricardo, Joe (hearingimpared) are all I can think of right now. I had a spreadsheet of the entire group a couple PC’s ago where we would track its location. I would have to try and locate it. I have no idea who has it now or who had it last.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    10-4. Just keep me posted.

Thanks,

Tom

PS - Holy moly dude! Your system......Very nice my man. Very nice.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I can assure you Uncle Jesse is not in that club.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Uncle Jesse has a secret vinyl room.
    All the gear in there uses cables he bought at Home Depot.
    Says it's his favorite setup.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    I have a vinyl fence...will it help with that? Lol!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    I am also part of the original group. The last movement of it I have recorded is from me to schwarcw in October of 2014. If I had to guess it's probably still there. It does remind me though that I would like to have some time with it again. But not in a big hurry. lol Obviously.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • cmy330go
    Options
    So I found an old copy of the spreadsheet. Here are all the original members:
    reeltrouble1
    madmax
    Kenneth Swauger
    hearingimpared
    schwarcw
    SCompRacer
    cmy330go
    Ricardo
    Polk65

Being mostly a lurker for the past several years, I'm not even sure how many are still here/active. Well except for Madmax RIP. :'(
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    You can scratch hearingimpared
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • cmy330go
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I saw that he was banned. Does it go beyond that? I mean...Is he still with us (so to speak)?
    HT

2 CH
  • treitz3
    Options
    madmax passed? Oh my. I missed that. RIP brother. I was wondering why I haven't seen him post in a while. That's just sad.

Yeah, I think we all know about Hearing Impaired. Hope life is getting back on track for him. He was headed toward a dark place last I heard...

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    cmy330go wrote: »

I saw that he was banned. Does it go beyond that? I mean...Is he still with us (so to speak)?

AFAIK he is. I don't know anyone who could confirm this though.

Tom
  • cmy330go
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    madmax passed? Oh my. I missed that. RIP brother. I was wondering why I haven't seen him post in a while. That's just sad.

Yeah, I think we all know about Hearing Impaired. Hope life is getting back on track for him. He was headed toward a dark place last I heard...

Tom

Yea. Can't remember how long ago, but feel like it was in the last year(ish). Which by my memory could be anywhere between 1-5years. :/

So what happened with Hearingimpaired? Guess I totally missed that. I'd had a fair number of direct conversations with him, and he always seemed to be a pretty kind, and calm dude. Was really surprised to see him banned. If the powers-that-be will mind, and you don't mind taking the time, shoot me a PM about it. No pressure.
    HT

2 CH
  • cmy330go
    Options
    Hello all,

It has been quite some time since the LP flattener club took off and at the time, my vinyl rig did not warrant getting into the club. Well, I am at that point now along my audio Journey. My LP collection has doubled since this club started and I have some valuable gems I'd like to flatten.

Here's my question.....Is this open to old school Polk members to buy into the rotation or is it a closed group (as was being discussed behind closed doors with me) when this all started?

I am expressing interest in buying into the group, if any or all of you can collectively come to a decision to allow someone else to join in after all of these years (I should have bit the bullet and joined way back in the day).

It has been so long since this went down, I completely forgot who was in the group. So I figured I'd just make a post and I'll find out in short order.

Anyhoo, please let me know. Thanks.

Tom

Just emailed schwarcw to inquire of whereabouts, and also hopefully spark a discussion with everyone about what they would like to do regarding the flattener and the consortium for that matter.

I'll keep you posted.
    HT

2 CH
  • treitz3
    Options
    Thank you sir.

Please keep me posted. CMY, I can't remember how long ago either.2,4,6 years ago...

Tom
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Greetings all!

I was the last person to have the flattener in my possession. Last year the flattener was no longer functioning and Furutech suggested replacing the unit because parts were not available.

The unit has a very busy first year or two. Interest waned, people got banned. The flattener did not see much use in the last years of use. I think Reeltrouble and Dave were the last to have it. I used it a couple times after Dave returned it. A year or so later, it was just not heating up. It has a good life and served many of us well.

I understand this unit works pretty well: http://vinylflat.com/vinylflatproducts.html

Carl

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    cmy330go wrote: »

AFAIK he is. I don't know anyone who could confirm this though.

Tom

I see him on Facebook at times.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • treitz3
    Options
    That's good to know. Thank you for the update. I personally have zero beef with the man but I have heard rumors over the years that didn't reflect well on him. I'll try to look him up. It's been years since we last spoke.

On a different note, since the original Furutech has bit the dust, I'll start a new interest thread and see if we can get another group set up and get a new ball rolling.

Thanks all,

Tom
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Here in Arizona all you need to do is put a cloth on both sides of the record, place it on the sidewalk, put a couple bricks on top and come back in an hour. "Perfectly" flat XD
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    boy in my youth i baked more than a few on the old turntable. Amazing what a few hours in the sun will do to a stack on the platter while at school
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    With two blocks of programmed silence/skidding on each side coinciding with the footprint of two bricks?
    I disabled signatures.
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Me, Carl (schwarcw), Ted (reeltrouble1), Ricardo, Joe (hearingimpared) are all I can think of right now. I had a spreadsheet of the entire group a couple PC’s ago where we would track its location. I would have to try and locate it. I have no idea who has it now or who had it last.

OT, how does the at33 compare to the 103r?
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    StevieB wrote: »

OT, how does the at33 compare to the 103r?

I prefer the AT33PTG/II over the Denon 103R. The AT is more detailed with better high frequency and tighter articulate bass. It only takes me 30 seconds to swap linear arms, and I can't recall the last time I had the Denon on it.

My Denon 103R is modded which improved the sound, I added an aluminum body.

midas_1.jpg

at33ptgii.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    StevieB wrote: »

I prefer the AT33PTG/II over the Denon 103R. The AT is more detailed with better high frequency and tighter articulate bass. It only takes me 30 seconds to swap linear arms, and I can't recall the last time I had the Denon on it.

My Denon 103R is modded which improved the sound, I added an aluminum body.

midas_1.jpg

at33ptgii.jpg

Thanks for that. I've had the At33ptg/II bookmarked on amazon and ebay for a couple of months just gotta pull the trigger. :#
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.