saw Hot Tuna again

As some of you know I just love the inter play between Jorma and Jack and have seen them many many times. This was different. They are back to the power trio line-up and this show they did 2 full sets. The venue is now my favorite The St. Georges Theater on Staten Island. This place truly an old time restored theater to the baroque style place w/ a deep pit an organ on the left presumably for silent films and a balcony that over hung the orchestra to about 3/4s of it. These guys are nearing 80 and never disappoint and they seemed to have just as much fun as the audience. Sound was incredible w/ hanging line arrays which looked wider and heavier than the usual ones one sees in a theater. Even Jorma's Gibson SST sounded great a guitar that at another show sounded like a Flamenco gut string guitar and did not work. Also he ditched the Firebird for another Gibson Les Paul using just 2 amps a Louis small amp for the SST and a lower half old Marshall for the searing electric songs. If your into Hot tuna whether acoustic or electric they still put out and very rarely have a bad show unlike my other former favorite band The Grateful Dead who when off were horrible.
There are some great videos of the show on You-Tube so, if interested just hit Hot Tuna Staten Island and you will be there w/ them. ....Lew
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    You betcha!...First time I saw Hot Tuna was about the time Burgers was released....I have always had a sweet spot for the SF sound..Some of the best music came from those groups way back then...Also,I live a couple hours from Fur Piece Ranch and have been to a couple of gatherings there...It's a killer time...
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited May 2017
    One of my all time favorites for sure. I caught them a couple of years ago at a small venue in Pensacola,FL and had a great conversation with them. Really down to earth folks.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Always love seeing them. The real deal.