Monitor 70 II?

I would like to get some feedback on the Polk Monitor 70 II line of speakers. I like to listen to jazz, classic rock, blues and classical music and wonder if these are right for me? Right now I have a pair of BIC DV64's but they don't give me the bass that I would like. My room is about 15'X15' with hardwood floors and right now I'm running a NAD 3140 receiver which puts out 40w RMS per channel. I plan to upgrade soon to either classic Marantz or Sansui receiver with at least 50 watts RMS. I am looking for a pair of Polks that will give me highs that are not overly bright, good mids and bass without having to add a sub-woofer.(I'm not talking about Cerwin-Vega booming bass!). There are some pretty good deals out there right now on the Monitor 70's and I want to move before they are gone!

Answers

• Not much help here. :/
  • natchie
    natchie Posts: 10
    Hi I have Monitor 70 speeakers bought about 5 years ago...I like them and find them giving me enough bass. I recently bought a much praised Elac UniFi 5B bookshelf speakers and wow, I find the Monitor to be superior with the bass output.
  • arekon
    arekon Posts: 77
    your receiver gives 40wpc and you want to upgrade to 50wpc?
    im just a mere enthusiast on good days, but why not go bigger. 80-100wpc at 2 channels driven should treat you and your 70 ll's more proper..
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Mine didn't start sounding really good until I gave them 200 watts.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    you guys are too hung up on watts. The OP said a CLASSIC Marantz or Sansui, which 50 watts to those old school receivers is about 100 roughly by todays standards.

You should be fine with the NAD or other classic receivers you mentioned. The Monitor line is pretty easy to drive. It's hard for us to tell you if you'll like them though, we all have different preferences, rooms, associated gear and we can't hear what you do.

Generally speaking, they do provide ample amounts of bass and the brightness really depends on your associated gear and cables. Given your choices of receivers so far, I'd say that's a welcome match.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • arekon
    arekon Posts: 77
    edited May 2017
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Mine didn't start sounding really good until I gave them 200 watts.

what did ya give em?

in the future, might as well mention amps and ohms as well.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited May 2017
    Parasound Halo A-3 but ran through everyone of the amps in the first system in my sig until I stoped at the A-3.