Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited May 2017
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

I bet Forum.polkaudio.com is blocked by their system administrator... :D

Oh, I wouldn't be at all surprised -- in my spare time in the Fall semester, I teach a grad-school course for a certain Boston*-based university. As an "adjunct faculty" member, I have an e-mail account through that august institution. I get a fair amount of "notification" type e-mail from said university. Microsoft Outlook kindly blocks images and links "to protect me from malicious e-mail", even though these are university-generated e-mail messages. :)

We used to have a problem at a company I worked for with e-mails from HR ending up being directed to the "spam" folder by Outlook, too, come to think of it.

Good ol' technology.
    _________
    * Not to non "Bay Staters"/"Ivy Leaguers" -- Boston is not Cambridge, even though there's just a little river between 'em ;)
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    Your Sox are not playing nice with my O’s..... :s
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    I can foresee the audioholic 'incursion' happening soon.

afbd205892a2494d6d3654fc345af4fa.jpg

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Have any of you long-time forum members that are unhappy with this ad contacted Polk? I've seen where many at this forum have visited and toured Polk - so you don't have any contacts at Polk? Instead of giving Polk the benefit of the doubt - why are you jumping to malicious conclusions and assuming the worst? So far, all you've done is to make a mountain out of a very small mole hill.

Boy, is this attitude and sentiment poison:

"Polk has no will to support their own forum.
    Polk is more interested in portable audio than good audio
    Polk would rather cater to the snot nosed kids/millennials living in their parents basement."

and

"Talk about putting a knife in your back....really Polk ?"

Well, the powers that be at Polk were supposed to host Polkfest 2016 at their new Baltimore site. @jstas even started a thread about it months before it was supposed to happen. But he was seemingly left to twist in the wind, as this did not materialize. And it was only by his good graces that we had anything at all that year.

I don't know if this latest issue is related to Polk "abandoning" this place or the people who frequent it, but the above is true enough so draw your own conclusions?

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I can understand why they did it. We are more of a "What speakers, gear should I get?" Rather than a "How do I set up my gear kind of a board."

Instead of answering that question, we would be telling them they need to upgrade their receiver so that it has outputs so that they can get an amp, then they need..... :D

So instead of getting set up info, they are being told to spend a few hundred more on other gear! ROTFLOL!

There is something to be said about actually getting answers to the question you asked rather than expensive answers to questions you hadn't even thought of.

Often great advice is given, but many times I see the........

"You NEED to do this, and BUY THIS or, or we will call you names, Be condescending, or make rude remarks, say you are wrong, or if you try to discuss or debate it, you will be called a troll, and we will turn the entire thread into a huge immature joke, With all kinds of silly pictures and comments and keep bashing you until the thread gets shut down"

Maybe that has something to do with it.
    Do any of you guys even consider that?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Duuude. Snagglepuss. Cool.

:)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Have any of you long-time forum members that are unhappy with this ad contacted Polk? I've seen where many at this forum have visited and toured Polk - so you don't have any contacts at Polk? Instead of giving Polk the benefit of the doubt - why are you jumping to malicious conclusions and assuming the worst? So far, all you've done is to make a mountain out of a very small mole hill.

Many of those contacts have retired or moved on and are no longer associated with Polk Audio.

Also, Audioholics' community kinda hates Polk products. They are excessively critical and look down anything with the Polk name on it as being sub-par and "low end". So if you're gonna send Polk customers some place to find out about Polk products, Audioholics is a good place to go if you want your customers to experience extreme levels of peer-pressure induced buyer's remorse, return their purchase and get snookered into buying something with "Cambridge SoundWorks" emblazoned upon it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I can understand why they did it. We are more of a "What speakers, gear should I get?" Rather than a "How do I set up my gear kind of a board."

Instead of answering that question, we would be telling them they need to upgrade their receiver so that it has outputs so that they can get an amp, then they need..... :D

So instead of getting set up info, they are being told to spend a few hundred more on other gear! ROTFLOL!

There is something to be said about actually getting answers to the question you asked rather than expensive answers to questions you hadn't even thought of.

You're so negative.
    I can tell you how to setup just about everything made in our industry so the forum got me. Everyone who I knew at Polk is gone so they don't know me.
    This is a loaded debate but I also can see why they did it and not refer this forum for help questions etc. Some of us are just to edgy for the general public. Cult kinda stuff goes on in here LOL.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polrbehr
    Options
    If I was on trial for murder and the ad that started this thread was all the evidence they had on me, even a crummy lawyer could get an acquittal. That ad says so little, yet so much is being made out of it.

This thread reminds me of the jealous spouse that is looking for their spouse's paramour behind every tree. Yet their spouse has no paramour. Every glance or supposed look that does not even rise to the level of a mild oodle causes the jealous spouse to be enraged.

Much ado about nothing.

Not quite. There has been a slight, but steady, downturn with many of Polk's business affairs. This is just the latest thing someone pointed out, but there have been many issues with their customer service going on for almost a year, and this is one area where they were often highly regarded. You have not been here for very long, at least under your current name, so I guess you don't really know about most of that, but since 2014 (when the switch to vanilla was made), this place has most definitely not been the same.

As for @K_M - seriously? Then WTH are you still doing here?

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• K_M
    edited May 2017
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    If I was on trial for murder and the ad that started this thread was all the evidence they had on me, even a crummy lawyer could get an acquittal. That ad says so little, yet so much is being made out of it.

This thread reminds me of the jealous spouse that is looking for their spouse's paramour behind every tree. Yet their spouse has no paramour. Every glance or supposed look that does not even rise to the level of a mild oodle causes the jealous spouse to be enraged.

Much ado about nothing.

No one can question anything, hope the place will be more civil, or simply disagree with anything?

My first comment is why I am still here....."Often great advice is given"

The 2nd part, is my insight into why I would NOT steer anyone new into this forum.

Make more sense now?

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    So this is snowflake romper room? Consumers, beware of the Polkies, and their lurid suggestions!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

Much ado about nothing.

See, that is the exact thing I mean...
    No one can question anything, hope the place will be more civil, or simply disagree with anything.

The 2nd part, is my insight into why I would NOT steer anyone new into this forum.

Make more sense now?

No, but then again not much from you does.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    "If you can't stand the heat stay off of the forums." There is no forum out there where people are not going to screw with each other. Fine that Polk suggest other forums but omitting this one is stupid and quite frankly I am insulting!
  • polrbehr
    Options

Much ado about nothing.

No one can question anything, hope the place will be more civil, or simply disagree with anything?

Make more sense now?

Sure does. But most times, when advice is given, the naysayers just have to get their .02 in, and do their best to discredit any statements or advice.

It's typical, you first make a small remark about how great advice is often given, then follow that up with a small diatribe about how many things are wrong here. My reason for the initial question to you.

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Cathy, I think you have a better vibe on this, as that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Look at this way. Here on this forum it's pretty specialized, with a high dollar price tag point of view. Most people don't want to come to a forum where others tell them that what they have is mediocre, at best. Sure, you don't want to lie to them and say they have to greatest ever but small steps go miles in the long run.

Here, the general consensus is certain brand names are close to junk. Emotiva is the biggest I can think of. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc..., are all "lacking" unless you get close to the top of the line gear and even then some will say it's still not enough. Marantz is the only name I can think of that's appreciated at most off of their price points. Most consumers of audio that are mainstream have no desire to spend thousands on gear, even less desire to spend hundreds/thousands on cables. They can go to these other forums, most of the time, and not be ostracized for what they bought, or didn't buy.

Polk is still getting to the mainstream (with mainstream components) consumer. I think they realize "mainstream" is not here on this forum, like it or not...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • K_M
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ^^^^^ I see some extreme comments here at times.
    As he says, a lot is called junk, and that alienates or upsets many members I would imagine.

Agree, or get out, maybe not the best way to act on a mainstream speaker forum.
    Polk if anything is the bread and butter lower priced to mainstream products.
  • K_M
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A new email promo from Polk suggests going to Crutchfield, CNET and Audioholics for tips, no mention of Club Polk. A very sad state of affairs, especially suggesting Audioholics. The home of the naysayers is the last place I would recommend to anyone.

lets see:

Crutchfield, CNET, Audioholics, Versus F1nut going on a 15 page tirade on some guy for daring to disagree with something he said.

Maybe sad is not the right word.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    You won't get me to say anything bad about Polk Audio.
    They have been very good to me.
    OTOH, this forum has just made me poorer. :#
  • K_M
    Options
    You won't get me to say anything bad about Polk Audio.
    They have been very good to me.
    OTOH, this forum has just made me poorer. :#

I would never say anything bad about the company itself. I agree.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    A new email promo from Polk suggests going to Crutchfield, CNET and Audioholics for tips, no mention of Club Polk. A very sad state of affairs, especially suggesting Audioholics. The home of the naysayers is the last place I would recommend to anyone.

lets see:

Crutchfield, CNET, Audioholics, Versus F1nut going on a 15 page tirade on some guy for daring to disagree with something he said.

Link? You're just making stuff up to fit the storyline you want to believe in.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @F1nut is right, A very sad state of affairs indeed. Polk won't even promote it's own forum!, Don't forget we live in a time were perception and alternate facts are all that matters, God forbid we even consider the truth, For one shall be shunned and ostracized for life.

What does Polk really think of this forum, Well if a picture says a thousand words, how about two or three.

Polk Audio home page Aug 2014
    Old-Polk.JPG

Starting in Nov 2014 they moved the forum link to the bottom of the page
    Polk Audio home page May 2017
    New-Polk.JPG

The shape of things to come?
    Polk Audio home page May 2020
    Future-Polk.JPG

Hope NOT!

BTW: my setup would be considered by most here near the high-end (maybe) of Low-Fi (Teac X-10R, Adcom GCD 700, GFA 555, Technics SL-5 turntable, Nad 116 pre, Squeezbox Touch and SDA 1Cs with Blue Lean cables & IC's) and I have NEVER been made fun of, put down, told to toss it and get better gear or made to fell I don't belong here.
    Post edited by gimpod on
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • polrbehr
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    It probably fell off their radar as Cedia was approaching and the Signature release was in full swing. Stressful times. I can say that they fully supported my event in October complete with an almost full line of the Signature series.

Fell off their radar is one way of putting it. The way I see it, they simply ignored the idea and didn't even bother to keep people informed. There are people that carry a lot of water for them, not cool the way that was handled. No one put a gun to their head and told them they have to do a 'fest at HQ...

As for the Signature release being in full swing, sorry, but I don't get that either. None of the Signatures were available to demo locally for me, even 6 months after their release. Though it is cool that your event was fully supported, I can see where you would be happy with that. I guess that's where their focus is going to be moving forward, I do want them to continue making great speakers.

• F1nut
    Options

lets see:

More lies. Don't get mad at me because of the foolishness you post.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I've only been here little over a year but I can empathize with both parties on this.

On one hand the people who have out TIME into this forum and educating folks feel stabbed in the back. How can you not see that for what it is and see a string of logic connected to it (unless your completely apathetic to other views).

On the other side a LOT of people are overly sensitive online and this forum is a mixed bag of responses. If I ran this forum for Polk, went through some of the topics and saw hoe many times it gets derailed or arguments start... I honestly wouldn't put this on an ad either. Adding more to that compared to crutchfield for instance (no experience with audioholics) how many picture by picture or step by step guides do we have for generalized set of of audio systems. If we did are they as easy to find (not yours but vanillas search features fault) as said other sites?

I hope everything with the forum continues on as I have gained a wealth of information without judgement of character/age/one of the many other demographic details. Sometimes you need to have some tough skin or a good sense of humor to survive here, not everyone has those...
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    @F1nut is right, A very sad state of affairs indeed. Polk won't even promote it's own forum!, Don't forget we live in a time were perception and alternate facts are all that matters, God forbid we even consider the truth, For one shall be shunned and ostracized for life.

Spot on Tony, and sometimes the truth may hurt feelings, like some of the above posters complain about. When I see someone trying to run A9's or LSI's off a 500 buck receiver, I guess we should STFU and let them fry their gear or speakers. Maybe close our mouths too when they blame the crappy sound their getting on Polk's speakers, instead of the lamp cord they have hooked up, to an entry level receiver from 1996. Let them sell their Polk brand for another brand, that would be better according to some.

Seems to me anyway, most on this forum take greater pride in Polk speakers than Polk does. Least that's what they portray anyway.

....and as far as them suggesting Audioholics because of kickbacks.....and they have no financial reason to recommend their own forum, I call B.S. This forum, and include Ken the moderator too, have been instrumental in keeping Polk customers happy and repeat buyers. Instrumental in taking some of the load off of Polks customer service department. Instrumental in explaining how to hook up their new Polk systems, how to place them in a room, and what Polk speakers match up with other Polk speakers. The forum has been top flight on explaining to Polk customers how to fix what is broken, improve their systems performance, and a vast array of DIY stuff.

None of that may be measurable to the bean counters down at HQ, OR a selling point at the next board meeting, but it's reflected in the repeat buyers and Happy campers who post up their own reviews and experiences with this company. You think Dealers are responsible for that ?

Never under estimate the value of "word of mouth", especially in audio. Polk may stand behind their dealer networks, but it's the guys/gals who take their products home that count. It's the ongoing support this forum and moderator offers that count. It's Polk's excellent CS that counts.....and we all contribute in a timely fashion to boot. Polk went to great expense to build their reputation and support systems, to see it being slowly dismantled is heart breaking for me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    tonyb wrote: »
    gimpod wrote: »

Spot on Tony, and sometimes the truth may hurt feelings, like some of the above posters complain about. When I see someone trying to run A9's or LSI's off a 500 buck receiver, I guess we should STFU and let them fry their gear or speakers. Maybe close our mouths too when they blame the crappy sound their getting on Polk's speakers, instead of the lamp cord they have hooked up, to an entry level receiver from 1996. Let them sell their Polk brand for another brand, that would be better according to some.

Someones idea of their "Truth" does not give carte blanche to Bash everyone and call them trolls, when they are unable to discuss maturely a different view.

It is a behavior issue, not a matter of truth.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Snowflake

President of Club Polk

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Grab them by the p#$$&.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.