Need Configuration Help - mixed bag of speakers

Hi. first post.

In my media room, I've slowly built a decent home theater system. I'm looking to expand it, and wanted some advice on how/where to place the speakers I have.

The AVR is a Denon 4520ci capable of 11.2 with an external amp for front height, which is likely to be my old Sony AV-720 85WPC receiver for now. The Denon is 150WPC on 9 channels.

My front main speakers are LSi15 towers. The subs are PSW10s, to the right and left of the TV. The center speaker is an LSiC.

These are the remaining speakers I have for the room, which is roughly 18 wide x 25 deep. The last 8 feet of this upstairs media room (towards the back) is open to the house below so the couch is about 18 feet from the screen. The side and rear will be relatively close to the couch.

1 pair of LSi7s
1 pair of FXiA6
1 pair of RTiA1
1 pair of RTiA3

Likely, the FXiA6 will be side speakers instead of rear.
My thoughts on the remaining:
LSi7 for rear
RTiA3 for wide
RTiA1 for height

Anyone have an opinion on how I'm configuring this? Does it not really matter for the rear/wide and height?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• arekon
    arekon Posts: 77
    ditch those subs man
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend adding the wide speakers to the mix. I personally like the FXI A6, actually think it is the best speaker in the RTI A line up. So I would use those for surrounds. Of the other 3, would choose which ever you like best for rears, try them each for a week or so, and decide.

Would seriously consider going for in ceiling speakers, rather than height and wide. Wouldn't even consider wides in an 18 foot wide room sitting 18 feet back.

I would concentrate on a 7.x system, maybe think about a 2 or multichannel amp, before adding more speakers. Would also look into better subs. There out there, and the difference has to be heard to be appreciated.

If your heart is set on heights, I would use the RTI A1's.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    arekon wrote: »
    ditch those subs man
    arekon wrote: »
    ditch those subs man

Yeah ditch them quick. That system might sound better without PSW10 in the mix. If you have a budget for adding subs get an SVS or HSU
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • arekon
    arekon Posts: 77
    even the psw111 is a far better piece.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Hi. first post.

In my media room, I've slowly built a decent home theater system. I'm looking to expand it, and wanted some advice on how/where to place the speakers I have.

The AVR is a Denon 4520ci capable of 11.2 with an external amp for front height, which is likely to be my old Sony AV-720 85WPC receiver for now. The Denon is 150WPC on 9 channels.

My front main speakers are LSi15 towers. The subs are PSW10s, to the right and left of the TV. The center speaker is an LSiC.

These are the remaining speakers I have for the room, which is roughly 18 wide x 25 deep. The last 8 feet of this upstairs media room (towards the back) is open to the house below so the couch is about 18 feet from the screen. The side and rear will be relatively close to the couch.

1 pair of LSi7s
    1 pair of FXiA6
    1 pair of RTiA1
    1 pair of RTiA3

Likely, the FXiA6 will be side speakers instead of rear.
    My thoughts on the remaining:
    LSi7 for rear
    RTiA3 for wide
    RTiA1 for height

Anyone have an opinion on how I'm configuring this? Does it not really matter for the rear/wide and height?

Thanks,
    Mike

Welcome Mike,

You can do it the way you described, but a few observations.

Your taxing that receiver pretty good by running 3, 4 ohm speakers, you'd be better served to get a separate amp for those 3 front speakers and let the receiver handle the rest.

Those subs won't keep up with the LSI 15's, get yourself some better subs from the likes of SVS or HSU.

Good luck to you, enjoy the forum.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's