SDA upgrade thread 2

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    everybody like a good train wreck as well.......

Ditto that

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    everybody like a good train wreck as well.......

Well then @pitdogg2 why not put your money where your big mouth is and post here showing what you are doing and how you think it SHOULD be done.
    Again this thread was created for EVERYONE to post their upgrade progress.

So here is your invitation to stop nitpicking what I am doing and put your stuff out there for everyone to see (*and critique*)
    It's pretty easy to sit back and talk about and judge what others are doing. However I am challenging you and all of the other critics to "Put up or shut up".
    If you all will not post your progress on here, then stop judging me and what I am doing.
    I seriously doubt that any of you will step up and be so brave as @msg put it.
    I think you will all continue to cower behind your keyboards and take the easy route typing away with your high and mighty judgements of me and whomever else.
  • heiney9
    edited May 2017
    This DIY has been posted about ad-nauseam so I see no need to post anything in this thread.

You are free to do as you want, but then we are free to add our .02c. You really need to calm down, that chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2017
    heiney9 wrote: »
    This DIY has been posted about ad-nauseam so I see no need to post anything in this thread.

You are free to do as you want, but then we are free to add our .02c. You really need to calm down, that chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy.

H9

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Again PUT UP OR SHUT UP
    If you will not show what you are doing, then you are only showing everyone here how cowardly you all are.
    Oh and since I have always naturally been very strong and have broad shoulders, this "chip" that I am carrying around is pretty easy to bear.
    Oh and did I mention above I am originally from Connecticut?(where everyone has a chip on their shoulders)
    You guys just don't like having your petty bull$#!Г called out.
    AGAIN IF YOU WILL NOT TAKE THE HARD STEP OF POSTING YOUR PROGRESS, THEN ANYTHING THAT YOU HAVE TO OFFER IS WORTHLESS AND A LITTANY OF CHEAP EXCUSES FOR PUNKING OUT.
    Post edited by honestaquarian on
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Peace!!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Man, I know this isn't my business, I'm no mediator, and this thread isn't the place, but I'm saying it anyway - Carlton, Ivan just softened his position above and tried to give you his perspective for some understanding of where he was coming from with his posts, that he didn't mean to sound harsh, and you went off on on a rant, calling him a purveyor of fanaticism. Come on, dude.

I'm glad you posted your build thread. I haven't really followed one before yours, so it's good to get a bird's eye sense of what's involved, but man, I could do without all this extra stuff. Might consider collecting a list of the non-build related posts and ask Ken to remove them. All this confrontational stuff is obviously way off topic, and wrecks what began as a good build progress thread.

I get that your feelings are hurt on the pouncing about the solder connection; understandable, and I'd be sensitive to that as well. As stated, fear of embarrassment is why I only post my better stuff, the rest conducted in private conversations. I still think you're brave posting all, but you knew you could do better, otherwise you wouldn't be bothered by the rash of criticism. Yes, it was mostly critical due to tone of delivery, which was a little insensitive, yes, but the intent was good.

You all need therapy. That's not an insult, btw.

Now, hug it out, you guys, and let's go for ice cream. You can fight again on the way home in the back seat of the station wagon with fake wood side panels and no AC.

I am not Rodney "Ow, Ow, Ow Quit it!" King.
    I disabled signatures.
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2017
    @msg Thank you
    Your interpretation of my initial response however is incorrect. I wasn't going off on him or anyone else at first until he came back with the train wreck comment. THEN I went off.
    Again a lot of this hyper attention to detail is just beyond my ability to understand. This is coming from someone whom is detail oriented and has to deal with those whom are not all day every day at work.
    I am CONSTANTLY hit with "what difference does it make??"

Again I am TRYING to look at the big picture here.
    It's just some solder joints that will never be seen again, because they are enclosed in a case that will be hidden behind the stereo.
    Oy such controversy!
  • honestaquarian
    P.S.@msg
    So far you are the ONLY ONE whom has been brave enough to openly admit your fear of posting what you've done and why. For that I give you MAD KUDOS!
  • msg
    Your interpretation of my initial response however is incorrect. I wasn't going off on him or anyone else at first until he came back with the train wreck comment. THEN I went off.
    No, you didn't; you made the fanaticism comment immediately following his explanatory post.

The "hyper attention to detail" is no longer the point of this "controversy". Not sure it ever was, but now, unfortunately, it's the attitudes and arguments.

You don't understand soldering.
    It's not about looks.
    It just so happens that poor solder connections don't look good and aren't as mechanically sound as good ones.

The solder has to penetrate and coat the wire. You should either have twisted the wires first and soldered them as a pair, using a quality rosin core solder, like Cardas Quad Eutectic, or something similar. Or crimped and then soldered. Or tinned, crimped, and then filled the void with solder. Any of these options would flow solder into the wire, protect the wire from oxidation, and make for the strongest connection.

The sealing comments are because electrical tape can be sloppy, and if it doesn't seal right, your wire will oxidize. It is rarely used properly, slips, dries, and comes undone. In this case, potentially exposing a questionable solder joint. If taping instead of heatshrink, self-fusing silicone RTV tape would be a better option.

The tape was of concern and pointed out because it looked loose, and your solder joint was questionable. Since the wires weren't twisted together, and the solder did not appear to flow into the wire and just looked like a nugget sitting on top of the wires, it looked like it could come apart. Even if it was mechanically okay, the exposed wire already looked burnt and oxidized. This is the final connection in a piece of equipment intended to refine your sound, a piece of equipment you spent a lot of money on, a piece of equipment connected to more stuff you've spent a lot of time and money on. That connection is a weak link in your build and no one wanted to see you let it slide.

Call it what you want - attention to detail, pride in ownership, worksmanship, craftsmanship. They all mean the the same thing. You can do better. Own it, fix it, and acknowledge that people were trying to be helpful instead of making off the wall arguments against it, which, frankly, can be a bit alienating. Sorry man, don't mean to be harsh, but this is a bit frustrating, esp after trying to stick up for you, and you keep fighting.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    P.S.@msg So far you are the ONLY ONE whom has been brave enough to openly admit your fear of posting what you've done and why. For that I give you MAD KUDOS!
    Thanks. That's just a personal issue. My space and setup simply isn't as nice and finished as many others are here, and I've got some obvious no-no's going on. I'm working on it, but still, it would be embarrassing in more ways than one to share that side of myself. It's silly, this is just the internet, but it matters to me.

There are some really smart people here, a lot of knowledge and experience from which to draw. Everyone wants to be able to contribute something of worth to a community. I try to on things I'm proud of. On things I'm unsure of, I've found that when my approach is open and humble, people are more understanding, patient, and willing to help. Again, you're braver than I, putting it all out there, but this is the sort of thing that is the reason I don't post everything. I could probably greatly further my knowledge and experience if I did.
    I disabled signatures.
  • honestaquarian
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words. What if the story has a hundred thousand words???
    I did twist the wires first.
    How can anyone know if the connections are sound or not if they haven't touched them with their own hands??
    The loose tape was the first layer. I added a second layer of a different tape and wrapped it tightly.
    I have repeatedly acknowledged and thanked everyone for their help and contributions. See previous comments prior to today.

How can you know whether or not I understand soldering from a couple of pics??

I have attempted to thank you personally AND give you kudos and now you are joining the trolls and critizing me because I won't back down to them AND you obviously haven't read all of my comments.

Come on man!!
    You are better than this.
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2017
    msg wrote: »
    P.S.@msg So far you are the ONLY ONE whom has been brave enough to openly admit your fear of posting what you've done and why. For that I give you MAD KUDOS!
    Thanks. That's just a personal issue. My space and setup simply isn't as nice and finished as many others are here, and I've got some obvious no-no's going on. I'm working on it, but still, it would be embarrassing in more ways than one to share that side of myself. It's silly, this is just the internet, but it matters to me.

There are some really smart people here, a lot of knowledge and experience from which to draw. Everyone wants to be able to contribute something of worth to a community. I try to on things I'm proud of. On things I'm unsure of, I've found that when my approach is open and humble, people are more understanding, patient, and willing to help. Again, you're braver than I, putting it all out there, but this is the sort of thing that is the reason I don't post everything. I could probably greatly further my knowledge and experience if I did.

There you go!! o:)

The pics that I posted are not complete btw. They are the initial attempts which were later improved on. However I didn't bother to take pics of each and every step in the process. That is my mistake.
  • heiney9
    edited May 2017
    Since you are saying we are afraid to put up or shut up, I say to you the same. Show us the "better" solder and tape job you did. I don't believe it. According to the pics those were cold solder joints and there was no more room to properly wrap more tape. Tape should have never been used in the first place.

Put up or shut up...........your words Mr. President.

H9
  • honestaquarian
    Since you are saying we are afraid to put up or shut up, I say to you the same. Show us the "better" solder and tape job you did. I don't believe it. According to the pics those were cold solder joints and there was no more room to properly wrap more tape. Tape should have never been used in the first place.

Put up or shut up...........your words Mr. President.

H9

See previous comments right above yours.
    At least I took pics and posted SOMETHING on here.
    WHATCHA GOT TO SHOW US @heiney9???
  • heiney9
    I've showed many a project, look in the archives if you're so interested. Might get some pointers too. But at this point you are all about arguing and calling people out and zero interest in learning something new.

Cheers

P.s.

You're just afraid to post more pictures of the improved version (if such a thing exists). It's very easily done, but I don't for a minute believe you fixed anything, but that's your choice and you'll have to live by the outcome.
  • heiney9
    I wish you luck and hope everything sounds good for a long time.

I'm outta this one

H9
  • msg
    Up yours Russ.

4o5o1z7tmws8.jpg

I disabled signatures.
  • honestaquarian
    I've showed many a project, look in the archives if you're so interested. Might get some pointers too. But at this point you are all about arguing and calling people out and zero interest in learning something new.

Cheers

P.s.

You're just afraid to post more pictures of the improved version (if such a thing exists). It's very easily done, but I don't for a minute believe you fixed anything, but that's your choice and you'll have to live by the outcome.

I ain't AFRAID of posting anything. The pics that I did take are already up on this thread and the case is closed and screws tightened. I am still waiting for my crossovers from @VR3 and he offered to send me some more connectors to improve on what I did and I accepted his offer. ALL if which is ALSO right here in this thread. I swear some of yous guys are MASTERS of spin. You keep coming back to argue and argue and criticize and because I refuse to back down you try to make it look like I am the bad guy.
    AGAIN I HAVE POSTED WHAT I HAVE ON HERE. Just because I did not take a pic of every single step of the process only means that I have no other pics to post. YOU are the one who is afraid to post pics of your dreadnought project and then try to make out to look like I am the one who is scared AND THIS IS MY THREAD WITH MY PICS ALL OVER THE BLOODY PLACE.
    You have not posted one pic here of what you are doing.

NOT ONE
    And I am the scared one here????

REALLY?!?!?!
    Come on man
    You are better than this as well.
  • heiney9
    Stinks when people use your own words against you, doesn't it?

Loosen the screws pop a few photo's and stop being afraid. It's not that hard.

Also I just wanted to give you an English lesson since you are such a stickler for such things and have called people out on it before.

ALL if which is ALSO right here in this thread.

ALL if ??? what language is that?

It should be ALL of.

Cheers

H9
  • honestaquarian
    Well SORRY if I am doing this on my phone
    Again I still don't see ANY dreadnought pics from you.
    Oh and I thought you were out???
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    You two knock it off.
  • heiney9
    lightman1 wrote: »
    You two knock it off.

Geez Dad, he started it! :#

• honestaquarian
    @motorstereo
    Please feel free to read all of the comments that I posted instead of just looking at some pics and drawing conclusions. The explanation for what you see there (*and what happened afterwards*) is all above and on previous pages. Otherwise I respectfully submit you don't know what you're talking about sir.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    You guys sure type fast!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
This discussion has been closed.