Benchmark DAC-1

I just picked up a Benchmark DAC-1 to use a dac for my Audeze LCD-2s and just realized it has a very good built in headphone amp. When researching for headphone amps I don't recall ever seeing the Benchmark on the list but it's definitely worth checking out.

I'm currently using it as a PRE, AMP, and DAC using optical to the Macbook and it's sounding great. Even though it's my first night with it I can tell it's a significant upgrade. I figured I'd share in case there is anyone else in the same boat.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/37983617-the-hpa2-headphone-power-amplifier

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/14498801-will-the-hpa2-drive-my-headphones
Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

Comments

• KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,186
    Thanks Skip. I just checked the dates and should be able to make it out on at least one of those days. I'll definitely bring it definitely due to meet up again.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I've had several of benchmarks dacs and are very, very good. I feel they don't get the attention they deserve due to not being "audiophile" enough. They are mostly used in the pro/studio setting so this might be why.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Owned the DAC1 for years, now I own a DAC2 that I use as my preamp/DAC.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,186
    I'm definitely curious about the DAC2 and the DAC3 after owning this one. I haven't had a chance to test it out much with my speakers since my amp went out and my substitute isn't up to par.

However for my headphones it made a huge difference. I tried the Peachtree idac with T+A preamp, Cambridge Azure 640A v2 which both claim to have decent amps and a couple of budget headphone amps but they aren't close to the benchmark.

I think the good amp on the Benchmark that can power the Audeze LCD-2s is probably a big plus. I do think overall I prefer the Benchmark over the Peachtree. MSRP is the same but when you include USB, multiple inputs, remote like the Peachtree then it's almost double the price to get that for the Benchmark.

But definitely curious about the new Sabre DACs on the Benchmark 3.
    Setup: