Hearing is believing!!!

After following a few very long and highly (sometimes hotly) debated speaker wire discussions, I decided to try myself.

I found a pair of lightly used MIT Avt S3 cables in box for $160 shipped. I thought that was a very fair price???

They have been up and running now for about a week and I must say I am impressed and like what I am hearing.

From what I can hear they seem to have opened up the sound a bit. The bass was the first thing I noticed. It sounds a little more like actual bass. Not to say that it did not before but, now more pronounced and/or accurate is probably the way to describe it.

Actually the entire sound from the speakers appeared to flow better, smoother a bit more accurate. When playing some very well pressed vinyl the sound was very impressive and noticeably sounded better than before the newer wires. So the sound does seem to have progress in a positive way with the new addition.

Since this is only a first time testing for me and hearing a noticeable difference (for the better) I guess I have to say...

I AM NOW A BELIEVER

So I guess I should say thanks to all the much more knowledgeable folks on the forum for sharing (sometimes very passionately) their experiences with different cables they have used over the years. At the moment this was what I was willing to spend to see if it was snake oil or reality.

Damn this rabbit hole. :D

So what is the next level up from this to a more noticeable difference??
Denon AVR X4200W
Parasound A23 amplifier
Parasound A23 amplifier
LG 65" Ultra HD4k
LG 4kBR - UP970
Denon DVM 4800
Denon DP 3000 turntable
Saec 308sx tonearm w/
Dynavector 10x5 cart
Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
Polk SDA 1C's modded
Polk LSim 707
Polk LSiM706c
Polk RTiA 3's
Polk 80F/X-RT
Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
Infinity bu2 sub
"The early Klingon gets the Gagh"

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Another one down....see, all we ask is that you try for yourself and you did. Next step in MIT cables is the Shotgun series. Other brands exist too with a variety of sound and prices to take you on the next level.

Like we said repeatedly, you don't have to spend new car kinda money. You spent 160 bucks and heard an improvement. Buy used bro...more cable for the buck. Congrats on you experimenting a bit and gaining some knowledge yourself, part of the fun of this thing we call audio.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited April 2017
    Others will be storming in here shortly to tell you about expectation bias and how what you are hearing is because you want to hear it.....blah, blah, blah.

You heard a difference when trying it on your own. That's all that matters.

H9
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    DSkip wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Have you lost your dat gamned mind, starting a thread like this?

Maybe it met up to have a drink with yours?

I suspect peyote root cocktails.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

I lost my mind a long time ago and I have been hiding from it in case it is looking for me. It was quite a weight off of my shoulders and I dont want it back, besides it makes me fit in better.
  • afterburnt
    lightman1 wrote: »

that sounds quite refreshing, got a recipe?
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    I will say I have always wondered about speaker wire but, never tried the more expensive stuff. For $160 it was well worth the gamble to see for myself. Now I've heard and you guys are to blame... Thank you! :):):)
    tonyb wrote: »
    Another one down....see, all we ask is that you try for yourself and you did. Next step in MIT cables is the Shotgun series. Other brands exist too with a variety of sound and prices to take you on the next level.

Like we said repeatedly, you don't have to spend new car kinda money. You spent 160 bucks and heard an improvement.

As far as the Shotgun wires... we will see. Maybe at a later date.

I considered DSkip offer to join into the wire testing/sampling on another post but, if I did like those wires I don't think they are in my price range to buy after shipping them off to the next in line. So why test the Ferrari if I can only afford the Acura?? Maybe another time.

I also would have had nothing else except lamp cord to judge by. Not that MIT's are the ultimate speaker cable but, at least now I could evaluate on a ever so slightly higher level.
    [/quote]Maybe it met up to have a drink with yours?[/quote]

I suspect peyote root cocktails.[/quote]

The days of peyote style substances have sailed... many many years ago.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited April 2017
    Manticore wrote: »
    Not that MIT's are the ultimate speaker cable but, at least now I could evaluate on a ever so slightly higher level.

@F1nut, ain't them there fightin' words? B)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Not that MIT's are the ultimate speaker cable but, at least now I could evaluate on a ever so slightly higher level.

@F1nut, ain't them there fightin' words? B)

Nah, I believe he was referring to his model, but even if not who knows what the ultimate speaker cable is.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Manti glad you discovered this for yourself :)

It never hurts to try things out for yourself, and others will give advise based on what they have heard and discovered for themselves & others only give advise based on what they think.

Thanks for sharing your findings! And enjoy your System B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited April 2017
    I considered DSkip offer to join into the wire testing/sampling on another post but, if I did like those wires I don't think they are in my price range to buy after shipping them off to the next in line. So why test the Ferrari if I can only afford the Acura?? Maybe another time.

Simple answer even though they are more expensive they may sound really bad in your system. You will then have a better judgement of what may or may not work in your system.... It is basically a free test for you so get on the horse and giddy up :p

Last thing if they did really shine then once again down the road you get a stellar deal on some used and you will already know they are great cables in your system.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I will say I have always wondered about speaker wire but, never tried the more expensive stuff. For $160 it was well worth the gamble to see for myself. Now I've heard and you guys are to blame... Thank you! :):):)

Like we said repeatedly, you don't have to spend new car kinda money. You spent 160 bucks and heard an improvement.

As far as the Shotgun wires... we will see. Maybe at a later date.

I also would have had nothing else except lamp cord to judge by. Not that MIT's are the ultimate speaker cable but, at least now I could evaluate on a ever so slightly higher level.
    Maybe it met up to have a drink with yours?[/quote]

I suspect peyote root cocktails.[/quote]

The days of peyote style substances have sailed... many many years ago.[/quote]

The Shotgun series really kicks it up a few notches and they are not as expensive as you think on the used markets. With other brands in mind, I want to say 3-400 bucks for speaker cables, including the MIT shotgun S3's, would hold you over for quite a few upgrades with other things in your system.

Now, you just touched on speaker cables, then we have interconnects. lol That rabbit hole deepens. Dskip is doing a demo right now, sign up....only cost ya shipping to the next dude in line. You may not be able to afford them now, even used, but it will give you an idea of the sound signature of the brand and whether or not it's your cup of tea.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Good to see someone try for themselves. Buying used is the way to go - for me anyway.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Amen! Hearing really is believing, congrats for believing your ears in your system and not the hype, or the hate! Well done - I love the S3's I run.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    The non believer crowd should chime in any minute, they have already spied this thread and will have something to say in 5-4-3-2-1.
    lightman1 wrote: »

In powder form or button form, with a cocktail toothpick bet one of those drinks taste nasty but surely enhances the music.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Manticore
    I also agree buying used can be a real benefit for the wallet. Unfortunately there are many unscrupulous sellers out there. Smaller purchases you can write off as a loss but say ex: $3200 for that an amp and it shows up DOA or worse and then the guy is gone or worse.

The first MIT cable I purchased used I had to contact the seller because the iconn pin base was snapped off and a spade was permanently attached. It also looked like the box for the board had been opened and glued shut. Not a factory job for sure!!

Luckily the seller was a reputable guy and let me return it for a full (including shipping) refund. I wont mention any name or company but, they were professional about it.

My better half says its great that I have hobbies but, why are all my hobbies so expensive.

Like I should take up butterfly collecting.

The Shotgun series really kicks it up a few notches and they are not as expensive as you think on the used markets. With other brands in mind, I want to say 3-400 bucks for speaker cables, including the MIT shotgun S3's, would hold you over for quite a few upgrades with other things in your system.

Now, you just touched on speaker cables, then we have interconnects. lol That rabbit hole deepens. Dskip is doing a demo right now, sign up....only cost ya shipping to the next dude in line. You may not be able to afford them now, even used, but it will give you an idea of the sound signature of the brand and whether or not it's your cup of tea.[/quote]

This is something I will consider. I wouldn't mind leaving him a retainer or something like that should I decide to give it a try. I would just use my wife's credit card >:)

As stated above they might sound like.. well... you know what, or they may sound brilliant. Again as stated above then I may have something else to shoot for as I try to climb out.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited April 2017
    Since the OP failed to mention what his original cables were it's kind of hard to gauge anything without knowing if he was comparing inadequate sized wires to something acceptable.

If the original cables were too small in gauge or possibly had bad connectors, lamp cords could have made an improvement.

The bottom line is that he likes it better. That's all that really matters.
  • F1nut
    Right on cue.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Manticore
    I considered DSkip offer to join into the wire testing/sampling
    I also would have had nothing else except lamp cord to judge by./\/\/\

I was using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EADB2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought this would have been sufficient. In a way it did serve a purpose... till I started listening to you guys :) I'm glad I did!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Gatecrasher
    It would have been interesting to see if you could hear a difference using 12 gauge.

When I compare my 12 gauge wires to Canare or Monster M series I can't.
  • Manticore
    Overall is it worthwhile looking into even higher end wires while using the Polk Rtia7's??
    Would this model speaker continue to benefit from other higher end cables?

My meaning behind this question is well lets face it they are not Wilson Audio Alexia's (just to randomly name one). Not comparing those to a7's but, I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

There has to be a limit on where one would cut it off due to equipment limitations.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    I just ordered some 10 gauge wire from Douglas Connection and am hoping for the best.

I seriously considered calling him also. From any post I found here his cables sound fantastic and so does the way he conducts business from what I've read.

I just happened to click on a site and saw the mit cables late one night... the rest was history. Definitely an impulse buy but, one that I was entertaining anyway.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    It would have been interesting to see if you could hear a difference using 12 gauge.

When I compare my 12 gauge wires to Canare or Monster M series I can't.

I really can't say. I have never used anything less than the 14 gauge except when putting an Alpine amp in my vehicle 10gauge... but that was for the battery connection.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • F1nut
    Overall is it worthwhile looking into even higher end wires while using the Polk Rtia7's??
    Would this model speaker continue to benefit from other higher end cables?

My meaning behind this question is well lets face it they are not Wilson Audio Alexia's (just to randomly name one). Not comparing those to a7's but, I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

There has to be a limit on where one would cut it off due to equipment limitations.

Absolutely. My RTiA7's and CSiA6 became a lot more tolerable when I hooked them up with MIT Shotgun cables. The first improvement I noted was the dialogue became a lot clearer and another was the high end sizzle all but disappeared.

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I just ordered some 10 gauge wire from Douglas Connection and am hoping for the best.

Doug's 10AWG Furez is good wire. Do yourself a favor and use a good end to terminate with. I had GLS locking bananas and changed over to Audioquest silver BFA and it is a HELLO from my speakers.

I need to call Doug and order a few more feet to make jumpers with.

I went from HD lamp cord, it was ok. Then it was Monster XP and again a little better. Then Monoprice 12AWG with GLS locking banana, ok we're good. Now it's 10awg Furez with Audioquest BFA, oh yeah I am good for the equipment I have.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Gatecrasher
    mrloren wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and use a good end to terminate with. I had GLS locking bananas and changed over to Audioquest silver BFA and it is a HELLO from my speakers.

That's a point that doesn't get mentioned a lot in these wire threads.
  • afterburnt
    I spent all of my cable money on music, now I am spending all of my cable money on a whole new 2 channel system. I should start catching up unless I have to have to get another Universal player.