Big Green Egg vs Kamado Joe

I'm considering a Big Green Egg or a Kamado Joe ceramic cooker. I like the new air hinge on the newest model of the Kamado Joe but it will be easier for me to get a table and cover for the Big Green Egg. Anybody have experiences with either model that they would care to share?
http://biggreenegg.com/how-do-you-like-your-eggs/
http://www.kamadojoe.com/grills/
http://www.jjgeorgestore.com/big-green-egg-tables/

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    You can make both green eggs and ham and fried green tomatoes with that thing.

That's my plan! lol
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    @voltz
    Darryl, any experience with these?
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    My buddy has one and it holds a solid temperature for a long time and they are both excellent Smoker/cookers.

I started with my Weber Smokey mountain and it severs me well that I haven't thought of upgrading it. someday maybe a Pellet smoker so I can be lazy and let it do all the work :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited April 2017
    Lots of opinions. Basically they are both great. KJ tends to give you more for the money with respect to accessories.

If you wait for one of the Costco Roadshows, you can save a significant amount of money on the KJ, especially if you make a deal on one of their Demo units.

https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

I have a poor-man's Akorn Kamado that I grabbed on clearance last year (only $140). It works about as well, but probably won't last anywhere near as long as the ceramic models.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mark090852
    billbillw wrote: »
    Lots of opinions. Basically they are both great. KJ tends to give you more for the money with respect to accessories.

If you wait for one of the Costco Roadshows, you can save a significant amount of money on the KJ, especially if you make a deal on one of their Demo units.

I'll be getting one of these in western Colorado. I wish there was a Costco Roadshow in that area, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    edited April 2017
    I grill year round with my BGE. The steel band that holds the top half on needs to be tight or top will fall off in a dozen pieces. Don't ask me how I know. Seven years so far. Rock solid. One can of charcoal can last six hours or more. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • mark090852
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I grill year round with my BGE. The steel band that holds the top half on needs to be tight or top will fall off in a dozen pieces. Don't ask me how I know. Seven years so far. Rock solid. One can of charcoal can last six hours or more. Good luck. D

I saw the picture that you posted a few years ago regarding your incident with the top....I felt your pain!
  • Dabutcher
    edited April 2017
    Because my egg was registered. $115.00 to my door for a new upper half was a reasonable expense considering my wife paid over seven hundred for the medium package. She bought it for my 50th birthday! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited April 2017
    mark090852 wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »

I'll be getting one of these in western Colorado. I wish there was a Costco Roadshow in that area, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

Check back to that page in a week. You can see the schedule only goes through next week. They will be going other places through the year. Not sure how fast you want to get one, but a little patience may save a bunch...or let you upgrade to the larger model!

EDIT: Looks like they were in Arvada back in March.
    http://forum.kamadojoe.com/forum/main-category/kamado-joe-pre-sales-questions-answers/40293-colorado-costco-roadshow
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have a question for you owners of these, Do you get a nice Bark of your pork shoulders (vanilla wouldn't like the normal saying)?

my WSM has one flaw its the water makes for less bark then I like.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    voltz wrote: »
    I have a question for you owners of these, Do you get a nice Bark of your pork shoulders (vanilla wouldn't like the normal saying)?

Have you tried running your WSM with no water in the pan?

After scouting out the Weber forum - lot's of folks go with no water in the pan and get really good results.

I've gone no water in my WSM as well.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    I know a buddy who knows the owners of both. Apparently the Kamado Joe guy used to work for BGE and splintered off to start his own company. Thought he could do it better for cheaper. My buddy is a chef and owns a BGE, swears buy it actually. He says the KJ is just as good and he wouldn't hesitate to have either.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    voltz wrote: »

All of the pork shoulders I've tried with these have nice bark and a great smoke ring too! I'm a huge fan of the bark!
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Digging up an older thread here.

Just curious what, if anything came of this. I too am in the market, and have been doing a lot of research. I was all sold on the KJ because of features, and accessories for the money, but have noticed an alarming number of recent reviews, and threads expressing frustration over KJ's lack of customer service. Just wonder if the OP ever made a move, and what kind of experience it's been so far, or if anyone else here has any further input to add.

I tried digging up some info on kamodoguru.com but it seems that every recent thread about KJ that has any significant criticism get's shut down by some admin that is somehow associated with or getting perks from KJ. IMO that just throws up more red flags, but really want to know the facts before I shell out significantly more $$$ for a BGE. Thanks in advance for any info.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • mark090852
    edited August 2017
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Digging up an older thread here.

Just curious what, if anything came of this. I too am in the market, and have been doing a lot of research. I was all sold on the KJ because of features, and accessories for the money, but have noticed an alarming number of recent reviews, and threads expressing frustration over KJ's lack of customer service. Just wonder if the OP ever made a move, and what kind of experience it's been so far, or if anyone else here has any further input to add.

I tried digging up some info on kamodoguru.com but it seems that every recent thread about KJ that has any significant criticism get's shut down by some admin that is somehow associated with or getting perks from KJ. IMO that just throws up more red flags, but really want to know the facts before I shell out significantly more $$$ for a BGE. Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes, I made a decision and I bought a Komado Joe and am very happy with it. The features like the new air hinge make it so much easier to use than the BGE. I can lift the top with one finger. I would highly recommend the 2017 model with the new features rather than the previous models without the air hinge. At first glance, it looks like the KJ is much more expensive than the BGE. But cost wise, it comes out to be about the same price as the BGE, once you add the necessary accessories to the BGE that do not come standard with the BGE but do come with the KJ. In my opinion it is well worth the money. I've had absolutely no reason to contact customer service so I can't comment on that part of your question, but I have read both good and bad for both KJ and BGE.

h8t91doc3end.jpg
  • Dabutcher
    Beautiful set up you have there! Peace. D
  • mark090852
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Beautiful set up you have there! Peace. D

Thanks. That's very kind of you to say that.
  • My BGE Large is best Fathers Day present ever ... love it to death.
    Perhaps literally as I only half-joke a wish to be cremated and use that as my urn B)
  • Who says 'you cant take it with you'? :)
  • I'm just worried the family will clean it (me) out and smoke another rack of ribs :s
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    So after speaking to a couple local dealers, I decided to go with a BGE since even they were complaining about troubles getting warranty support, and parts for KJs. :( So.... I went to the last day of the Iowa State Fair yesterday to see if anyone was running specials on BGEs. Sure enough I picked up an XL with a bunch of accessories for a really nice price. Then I made the mistake of walking a little further down the street past the Traeger booth, and also ended up buying a Pro 34. :# The best part... My wife didn't kill me. Phew.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Time to crank out the fall BBQ and buy the wife a new purse

Congrats

great 1-2 punch combo
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a