Netflix, Amazon Prime and other movie streaming services.

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Ok,
I have been using Netflix for years now and honestly I don't think the service is all that great.
What I don't like about it is the fact they constantly change their catalog of movies tv show and what have you and remove stuff that was there years ago.
So if I wanted to watch something I saw years ago it's now not available.
I also feel their selection of movies is lacking greatly. Some of the stuff they have I question why it's there and other stuff I feel they should have they don't.
I'm dropping them due to this.I only use the Streaming service where in the past I had the Blu ray and DVD disc option. When they decided to modify their discs I dropped that service. Not to mention at that time the streaming got much better quality and HD was basically becoming a standard.
So what other streaming services do you feel are better then Netflix or do they all basically suck on some level?
I have no desire to pay for a monthly service if I'm not using it much. So either I find a better one or just go back to renting from Apple and purchasing from Best Buy Blu ray discs.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I think Netflix is the best that's available. Amazon Prime probably a close second. Having said that, Netflix has admitted they are concentrating on TV series and their own content, and movies are not getting much love from them. They spend less and less on new movies.

AP is pretty much the same. They have their own exclusive content, and don't spend that much on new movies, and like Netflix, when they do get new movies, it is cheaper to get them for a limited time, so they go away after a few months.

I like Netflix, but then I like many of their series, so to me it's worth it. On the other hand, if I ordered more from Amazon, I would get their Prime account and drop Netflix. With Netflix, I pay for their upgraded account so I also get some 4K streaming content.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    I think Netflix is the best that's available. Amazon Prime probably a close second. Having said that, Netflix has admitted they are concentrating on TV series and their own content, and movies are not getting much love from them. They spend less and less on new movies.

AP is pretty much the same. They have their own exclusive content, and don't spend that much on new movies, and like Netflix, when they do get new movies, it is cheaper to get them for a limited time, so they go away after a few months.

I like Netflix, but then I like many of their series, so to me it's worth it. On the other hand, if I ordered more from Amazon, I would get their Prime account and drop Netflix. With Netflix, I pay for their upgraded account so I also get some 4K streaming content.
    We have a Amazon account it's just not prime. I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading to prime as you get the streaming service including in your account I think right?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Kodi
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    mantis wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

We have a Amazon account it's just not prime. I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading to prime as you get the streaming service including in your account I think right?

Yeah, you get the streaming service, as well as other benefits. Not all of which I remember, but I know there's some free music and book content that comes with it. If you have a Kindle, for instance, there's a virtual library of free books available. And there's supposedly about 1 million free songs and albums that come with it, but I know even less about that.

If you are not a fan of the Netflix shows, then Prime is a good alternative with quite a few benefits. Not the least of which, is free fast shipping.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I like Amazon prime. Lots of documentaries and music. That is mostly what I like to watch. I dropped Netflix a while ago.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. There's good shows on both services but off the top of my head I think Amazon has more adult oriented shows and Netflix leans more to teenage type programing.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited April 2017
    I tried a Netflix trial subscription a couple years ago because of House of Cards. To me there didn't seeem to be much available free content so I dropped it. I have had an Amazon Prime account since the beginning and their free programming seemed to be much better to me. I would have a Prime account just for shipping anyway, so the free video service is just a bonus. If a good older movie is not available on Blu Ray I may purchase it on Amazon in HD. A recent purchase was The Bridges at Toko Ri.

If there is a great series on Netflix exclusively I may buy it on Blu Ray after it runs.

I recently cut my cable bill by about $50 a month by dropping all of the movie channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. and other unnecessary channels.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    All you have to do is go to Netflix website do a search for what your looking for and add it to your streaming qeue.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Amazon prime Stick with kodi is the best of both worlds. I use the Direct TV streaming for normal TV and use Kodi for movies.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2017
    Can I ask how many of you Kodi users are using it only to stream content you own, rather than add-ins which allow access to "alternate content"...... If you are using the "alternate"... that's kinda cheating, and doubt you'd still suggest it without that... and that's all I will say
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Some of y'all must just watch a load of tv. Between Netflix and amazon prime streaming, there are WAY more good shows than I can possibly keep up with. I use Plex dvr with a silicon dust homerun dual tuner hooked up to a rooftop antenna that's attached to my old dtv dish, and that allows me to record all the free ota stuff. Between all that, redbox, and the occasional blu ray purchas (mainly kids movies), my family of six is more than covered.

And as for kodi, I agree with Dan, it's just like music: if no one pays for the content, don't moan and groan when there's no more content to watch...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nightfall
    I pay for Netflix, Hulu, Blurays, and the movie theater.

Sharing streaming passwords falls under that same blanket too, who here does that?

• rooftop59
    Agreed. I only share with family in my house...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Nightfall
    For instance, Better Call Saul season 3 just started. I stream it on Kodi right now but once it comes out on Bluray I'll buy it.

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    To help control the content, you need to seek out what is leaving and what is new on the service. There isn't any excuse for missing out on an offering other than not knowing when it is leaving the service. I think that all these services are going to bank on their own content just like HBO or Showtime did 15 years ago. They moved away from movies as they couldn't compete with the video stores for timing. I would love to cut cable costs, but living in the sticks allows me zero free channels and satellite TV has become as ever increasing revenue service for them.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leaving-soon/

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/coming-soon/
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • afterburnt
    edited April 2017
    Prime is better more documentaries and music films. Netflix bites, l dumped it a while ago. Oh I watch YouTube more than anything and it's free!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2017
    The thing I hate about Amazon Prime streaming is many of the popular and newest content still costs an additional fee over and above your monthly Prime payment. I realize Prime is more than just the "streaming", but it's very misleading of Amazon to advertise you get "free" streaming with your Prime membership, yes you do, up to a point, then it's between $3.99-5.99 (each) add'l. for anything remotely popular or newer and Blu Ray, etc.

No thanks.

I am happy with Netflix and my queue has more than enough content for the $9.99/month. I still have Dish, but I will be downgrading to one of the Flex Pak's.

If you want to watch new release movies, Netflix is not and never really has been the place to go for streaming.

If you want the newest and best stuff you still have to pay a premium to stream or buy it outright.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    To help control the content, you need to seek out what is leaving and what is new on the service. There isn't any excuse for missing out on an offering other than not knowing when it is leaving the service. I think that all these services are going to bank on their own content just like HBO or Showtime did 15 years ago. They moved away from movies as they couldn't compete with the video stores for timing. I would love to cut cable costs, but living in the sticks allows me zero free channels and satellite TV has become as ever increasing revenue service for them.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leaving-soon/

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/coming-soon/

Has nothing to do with timing and the video stores, video stores are dead. It has to do with the outlandish licensing rights for content they don't own, hence why everyone is producing their own stuff. It's cheaper and you have complete control.

If anyone is to blame it's the accelerated licensing fees the content providers charge. It went from very reasonable to reasonable to insane in a matter of years. I'm all for someone making a buck if it's their content, etc, but these studios are gouging because they think they can.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited April 2017
    Buy an android box and get kodi. All the movies and tv shows you can handle. For FREE!

I just bought 30 blu rays last week, I'm almost at 500. I watch it on kodi, then buy it for my collection. Win, win.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Buy an android box.

+1

The Nvidia Shield TV is still the best one on the market.

• mikeyb128
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Buy an android box.

The Nvidia Shield TV is still the best one on the market.

That's my next one. I use a minix, it works great for 90 bucks.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• rooftop59
    I would never buy Amazon prime for the streaming, that would by a waste in my mind. But we do watch a number of shows on Amazon (sneaky pete was great and we just started the Patriot which looks promising), so I do like the fact that in the months where we are not ordering as much for amazon I am getting at least some of my $8 a month in other ways...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • afterburnt
    Buy an android box and get kodi. All the movies and tv shows you can handle. For FREE!

I just bought 30 blu rays last week, I'm almost at 500. I watch it on kodi, then buy it for my collection. Win, win.

What is an Android box? Also I see an Android app, can I use Kodi on my phone?

Thanks
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

What is an Android box?
    Thanks

Well since your girlfriend left :o ???

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

What is an Android box?
    Thanks

Well since your girlfriend left :o ???

Hell, she just packed all of her stuff, she never actually left.

Anyway, I found out that I can see what Kodi does with my phone. I dont need no stinkin box!
  • mikeyb128
    Nobody likes a stinky box. :open_mouth:
    2 channel:
    Theater: