I'm sure most of you aren't into "Hip Hop" but...

codycatalist
codycatalist Posts: 2,662
edited April 2017 in Music & Movies
I recently learned of an Artist named "Noname" based out of Chicago.

I will link to the NPR little desk session but I haven't seen a Hip hop artist in a long time that touched me the way her performance did.

Not the rap you hear now a days, conscience lyrics with meaning. You can tell she was a poet before adding music to the background and she has so much soul in her music. If you are open minded or a fan check it out and let me know what you thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K58JYXhb4YA
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2017
    She talks in scramble think, wtf. No wonder I couldn't understand most of it.

Don't work for me and I am pretty open minded, but I don't get it.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • codycatalist
    She talks in scramble think, wtf. No wonder I couldn't understand most of it.

Don't work for me and I am pretty open minded, but I don't get it.

Yeah she definitely does but in more of a slam poetry type of way. As i'm sure you know some people are coherent story tellers others are more of scramble thinkers. I don't mind either over the other as long as it is good.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2017
    Since the late 60's I have been a scrambled thinker myself, never considered it a talent though.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    This is not a new style of rap it first came out of Bronx NY with groups like Digable plants, Black sheep and Tribe called quest. Chance the rapper has brought it back to the forefront. its more of a poet form of rap.

https://youtu.be/0j8frgmdvgc

https://youtu.be/OJaBo_aHjMA

https://youtu.be/U256owjhxDc
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • codycatalist
    This is not a new style of rap it first came out of Bronx NY with groups like Digable plants, Black sheep and Tribe called quest. Chance the rapper has brought it back to the forefront. its more of a poet form of rap.

https://youtu.be/0j8frgmdvgc

https://youtu.be/OJaBo_aHjMA

https://youtu.be/U256owjhxDc

Yeah you just don't see it much anymore. You also don't feel it as much anymore which saddens me. I am a huge fan of Chicago area artists early Kanye was great, Common sense hell I even love Twista. Chicago hip hop has a tendency to be on the more gospel side with great samples.

I knew of Chance for a while as an up and comer but really didn't start listening to him until his most recent release. Once I did I got the immediate Chicago gospel vibe. Coloring book is a great tape as well.

Lately I've been going back to older southern rap with Scarface, Geto Boys, Z-ro (not as old), Devin the dude etc. I've ran across a couple new artists lately (I almost gave up on new hip hop artists) like noname, oddisee and chance (new for me).

• recoveryone
    here is noname with Chance the rapper on SNL

https://youtu.be/PfaKtyWlrlM
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • codycatalist
    here is noname with Chance the rapper on SNL

https://youtu.be/PfaKtyWlrlM

Didn't see his set on SNL so that explains why I missed her but I did know she is on Coloring book and I believe Acid Rap too.

• recoveryone
    Now I will show you where chance and others have gotten this style........Kirk Franklin

https://youtu.be/Z8SPwT3nQZ8

https://youtu.be/I66SDeRQSJ4

https://youtu.be/N0xAOGhv6lA
  • recoveryone
    along with jazz and even James Brown this style of spoken word rap/poetry has been around for a long time, it just comes with a new twist at times.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Johnny Cash was rappin' long before any of these punks were born !!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2017
    1979-Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight

https://youtu.be/KXp9cy6RfbM
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • codycatalist
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    1979-Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight

https://youtu.be/KXp9cy6RfbM

That record generated a lot of hate from the hip hop scene during that time. It is a classic however.

• andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Noname is fantastic. I saw her perform in DC at U Street Music Hall (on a Wednesday, long night). She was fantastic. I'm seeing Chance on June 6th.

@recoveryone & @codycatalist I don't think that it's a question of who influenced whom, more that most of the people you've listed have had the common influence of a shared geography, religion, and cultural experience. The religious component-you both mentioned gospel-comes through especially strong in Chance's latest and Noname's "Telephone."

I'm also a huge fan of Common; did you see his show with the NSO at the Kenendy Center?

Rap, hip hop, and R&B does not get a lot of love around here, which is a total shame. Many of the best record producers and musical artists around right now are making these types of music.
  • codycatalist
    andrew82 wrote: »
    Noname is fantastic. I saw her perform in DC at U Street Music Hall (on a Wednesday, long night). She was fantastic. I'm seeing Chance on June 6th.

@recoveryone & @codycatalist I don't think that it's a question of who influenced whom, more that most of the people you've listed have had the common influence of a shared geography, religion, and cultural experience. The religious component-you both mentioned gospel-comes through especially strong in Chance's latest and Noname's "Telephone."

I'm also a huge fan of Common; did you see his show with the NSO at the Kenendy Center?

Rap, hip hop, and R&B does not get a lot of love around here, which is a total shame. Many of the best record producers and musical artists around right now are making these types of music.

I have to admit I don't go to many live shows. I'm starting to come around to it more, the only hip hop artists I've seen live are Devin the dude and Big Krit. I feel like Common would be an amazing show!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Hold the fort! I just got a request for hip-hop;
    evubyn32r69k.jpg
  • recoveryone
    I agree Andrew, I was just staying within the 6 degrees of separation. For me my music intellect spans (I live) from the Motown sound til now. I have heard several remakes of songs and styles that have its roots from Jazz and Gospel. many R&B singers come out of the church and carry that style deep within. Now days you have too many pre-package cookie cutter artist that rely on the technology instead of their real talent.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    With all due respect, I for one can say that I am not feelin it gggg G
  • recoveryone
    its not everyone's cup of tea Burnt
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    edited April 2017
    Now days you have too many pre-package cookie cutter artist that rely on the technology instead of their real talent.
    I'm with you on this. The use of tech is often used as a crutch, oftentimes for people who would otherwise do just fine on their own.
    I have to admit I don't go to many live shows. I'm starting to come around to it more, the only hip hop artists I've seen live are Devin the dude and Big Krit. I feel like Common would be an amazing show!
    I'm at a place in my life right now where I don't have many responsibilities, have lots of disposable income, and lots of free time. Couple that with living in a big city, and the result is that I go to see a lot of shows. Big Krit seems like he would be great live!
  • codycatalist
    andrew82 wrote: »
    Now days you have too many pre-package cookie cutter artist that rely on the technology instead of their real talent.
    I'm with you on this. The use of tech is often used as a crutch, oftentimes for people who would otherwise do just fine on their own.
    I'm at a place in my life right now where I don't have many responsibilities, have lots of disposable income, and lots of free time. Couple that with living in a big city, and the result is that I go to see a lot of shows. Big Krit seems like he would be great live!

It was indeed a GREAT show at a small intimate venue so I was 5 feet from him the whole time.

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    Cool post. I heard about "Noname" on NPRs WNCW(88.7) on my way home from work about a month ago. I'll say I'm not as much of a fan as I am of some of the other artist mentioned above. WNCW is a great recourse for discovering music you probably wouldn't normally listen to. The best part is I find myself liking most of it. That's what makes it a great station to turn on for a while and let the system warm up a bit.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Thanks for posting! Noname was a real "ear opener" for me. I have spent near zero time listening to rap or hip hop. I discovered with her that I needed to disassociate the music from the vocal and her poetry suddenly rendered clear as a bell. Backing music and vocals are excellent, but rarely share a beat or phrase with the lead vocal. Interesting.
  • codycatalist
    Thanks for posting! Noname was a real "ear opener" for me. I have spent near zero time listening to rap or hip hop. I discovered with her that I needed to disassociate the music from the vocal and her poetry suddenly rendered clear as a bell. Backing music and vocals are excellent, but rarely share a beat or phrase with the lead vocal. Interesting.

After extensively listening to the mixtape you can tell in this performance she is a bit nervous and timing seems to be off at first. However like you said her poetry is on point, the band is on point and backing vocals are great. Glad you dropped your $.02 @BlueMDPicker equally glad you enjoyed it!