PSW 110 gone bad, Polk customer service a terrible experience

This started out as a technical question.

I found this forum when yesterday my PSW 110 started making some awful sounds. When I searched the internet, I found multiple examples where people are having the exact same experience I am. I've always taken excellent care of my stereo stuff. So I was at a loss as to what happened to my sub.
I called Polk customer service and when I finally got someone on the line, he said the amp was probably bad. Up to that point, mission accomplished. I needed to find out what happened to my sub, and I did. When the rep asked me for my date of purchase, I was a little confused at first, but then I realized he was going into a warranty repair. This caught me off guard because I called for technical support. I did not have a receipt at hand. I was simply honest with him and said I wasn't sure on an exact date, maybe 2-3 years.
Then the strangest thing happened, his entire attitude changed and he became curt and rude. I was nothing but polite and professional. Within 30 seconds he accused me of "trying to get free stuff". I responded by saying "I'm not trying to get anything for free, I just don't know my exact date of purchase and I'm not sure I have a receipt". In all honesty, I didn't go into the call expecting a repair. I called for technical support. All I wanted to know is what was wrong with my sub. I didn't have the chance to tell him this however, because he hung up on me.
I have never been treated so poorly by a customer service representative. I'm to the point I really don't care if the sub is bad or if it can be fixed. After this experience, I want to go with another brand when I replace the sub and don't think I will ever again purchase any Polk product. What an awful experience.

Comments

• Hello,
    I'm certainly sorry you had the first experience with Polk's CS department, that's completely the opposite of what Polk wants for its customers. I'm glad Alex was able to provide the kind of support Polk has always offered.
    I'm sending a copy of this thread to the CS manager and to Alex.
    Regards, Ken
  • pkcrew
    pkcrew Posts: 4
    Hello All.

I have had a recent, similar experience with my PolkAudio PSW110 subwoofer going south. It initially began making rhythmic "thumping" sounds at idle even without an input. This evolved into distorted output followed by no output except for an occasional "squawk". Since I had received the subwoofer as a promotional item with the purchase of computer equipment from B&H PhotoVideo in 2014, I had not received a receipt for it and since they have subsequently stopped carrying Polk products, I have had no option to get a replacement from them.

I have enjoyed the performance of the subwoofer but I am disappointed in its lack of durability, however, especially given its use in a low-volume office environment. I sent an email query to the PolkAudio online resource site but was told that since I didn't have a receipt, the only recourse would be for me to buy a new plate amp for it or to send it in for repair, either of which option would cost about $150.00.

I would like to get the PSW110 back up and running and don't want it to wind up in a landfill somewhere but I feel that $150.00 is a lot to pay since that same price will purchase a brand new subwoofer online.

Is there a way that I can purchase a new plate amp for significantly less than this or, if not, can you recommend another manufacturer that might produce a similar, more economical plate amp that I might be able to use as an alternative to the PolkAudio unit?

Thanks and Best Regards,
    Patrick
  • Hello Patrick,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, I'm sorry you're having a problem with your PSW110 subwoofer. I'll send a copy of your post to Kim Jasper, Polk's CS manager.
    Regards, Ken
  • pkcrew
    Thanks Ken, I look forward to hearing from Kim.

Best, Patrick
  • You're welcome, glad to be of help.
  • pkcrew
    Hello Ken. I haven't heard from Kim Jasper as yet. Is there another section in this forum where he or she may have attempted to contact me?
    Thanks, Patrick
  • Hello Patrick,
    Send him an email to: Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com or telephone to 1-800-377-7655 extension 5208, he might not be back at his desk until Monday, however.
    Cheers, Ken
  • Hi Ken,

This is just a quick note to thank you for your help in getting me plugged in to Kim. He had a new amp sent out which I have now installed and the SW is back working perfectly! I must say that Polk's customer service in my case has been exemplary.

Thanks again and Best Regards,
    Patrick
  • That's great, Patrick, thanks for letting us know!
    Cheers!
  • Exact same issue with my PSW 110 . I have also sent out an email. Might be a bit weird as my name is also Patrick.
  • My name is Patrick Harper. I own a Polk Audio surround system and have had two powered sub woofers from Polk Audio as well. The first sub woofer I replaced at my own expense as I believe I was past warranty. This latest sub Model PSW 110 has now failed and I would like to know what you can do for me? I think I've had for 2 or 3 years now. I purchased from Best Buy or Future Shop here in Canada if i remember correctly. I am pretty sure I don't have a receipt any more. My surround speakers have been great but, I'm not happy with replacing a sub every 2 to 3 years. The sub is not getting any power. Could we work out something on a replacement board?
  • Hi Patrick,
    I'm sorry your subwoofer is defective, but I'm sure something can be worked out. The main person to contact is Polk's Canadian manager Walter Moser. You can telephone him at: 1-877-660-6601 or via email to: Walter.Moser@soundunited.com.
    He's a good guy and will work with you to solve the problem.
    Regards, Ken
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    The title of this thread is unfortunate, considering it's full of good CS stories!
  • I purchased my PSW 110 in September 2014 and like everyone else, it worked fine until a few weeks ago when it began making these weird noises when the rest of my stereo was turned off. Like the others, I had to unplug it just to stop the noise. Problem is that I'm in Cairo, Egypt. Shipping it back to the US or even to Europe is out of the question. Any idea of what the problem is and suggestions for parts? Any Polk repair facilities in Egypt or am I basically screwed?
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I'll ask Polk's customer service department who the importer for Egypt is. They should be able to help.
    Regards, Ken
  • Hello,
    Here is the link to the company who can help: http://www.enora-eg.com/
    Regards, Ken
  • LuisCCS
    LuisCCS Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I purchased my PSW110 in Jan/2013 from Amazon. I brought it home to Brazil. The same issue started a few months ago, I also had to unplug it to stop the noise. Is there any repair/service in Brazil?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Welcome! I'll try and find out for you.
    Regards, Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    Hello,
    The company that can help you is Disac their email address is: www.disac.com.br and the person to contact is Marcele Macedo.
    Best regards, Ken
  • Reading the above comments I see that Kenneth was able to help a lot of people and I wonder what can be done in my case.
    My father is a Polk Audio fan and I took his advice to go with the brand. I bought a whole set of home theater from Best Buy in November 2013 (2 towers, center and PWS110 woofer). I was very happy with the product, but honestly would rarely use it to listen to music, maybe once a week (weekends) and on a very moderate volume.
    Just a week ago I noticed I was not getting any bass. Literally put my ear to the woofer and I could only hear very low volume random bass.
    Ken, can you please advice how should I proceed? If this is a well know issue, can Polk CS reach me via e-mail and help resolve?
    Thank you in advance.

• [Deleted User]
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I'll send your email address to Polk and ask that they contact you. Sorry there's a problem, but Polk will straighten it out.
    Regards, Ken
  • After leaving a comment for Ken Swauger here, Ken Carter from Polk customer service e-mailed me and asked what the issue was. Then he handled it in the best way possible, I now have a brand new amp and working subwoofer.
    Thanks a lot guys, really happy with the outcome!
  • [Deleted User]
    I'm sorry you had the problem in the first place, but glad it was handled. Enjoy your sub!
  • Based on my recent experience, the name of this Blog post is wrong. I had the exact same experience as 'ditogachechili' above. After 4 years of use, my PSW110 began thumping. After reading this blog post I reached out to Kim at Polk. Within 24 hours Kim responded and resolved my issue with a new amp. PSW110 is working perfectly again. Just want to says thanks to Polk for great customer service.
  • Thank you for posting.
  • Is there a fix for the psw 110 problem?
  • Hello,
    The bass amplifier needs to be repaired or replaced. Assuming you live in the U.S. you would contact Polk at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1. It would be helpful to have the unit's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when you call. If you live outside of the U.S.send an email to: Ken.Carter@soundunited.com
  • subaqua73
    subaqua73 Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Hello,
    I just joined this forum in my attempt to find a solution to an issue I'm having with my PSW110. Since the symptoms described here seem similar or identical to those of my unit, I guess I'll just chime in here. A couple months ago, mine started making a strange chirping/clicking sound, a little faster than that of a ticking clock. It happens whether or not there is audio input, and even without the cable attached. No configuration of the knobs or switches on the back makes any difference at all. Is this something that has a known solution?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide,

Rich
  • Hello Rich,
    The subwoofer's bass amplifier needs to be replaced or repaired, most likely replaced. Assuming you live in the U.S. give them a call at 1-800-377-7655 select option 1 and they'll want the serial number and date of purchase.